Will E15 gas replace E10

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you remove the ethanol from pump gas, you get a lower octane fuel. So I would never do that. Its too bad they dont just offer both E0 and E10 at the gas station for the same price. See how long E10 stays around. pure-gas.org
I read that it lowers the octane to 83 instead of 87, but I am not a chemist.

Actually you are a bit off. Ethonol wasn't even a thing when cars had carbs, least not in this country
You'd be surprised. Gas and ethanol mixes have been used since the mid-late 1800s.
http://www.fuel-testers.com/ethanol_fuel_history.html

Most of the initial problems in boats were ones with fiberglass fuel tanks. If your boat has aluminum tanks, like mine, they did just fine on e10.

...unless, of course, you keep your boat in the water (who would ever do THAT?) where the ethanol picks up the water from the dew that forms in the tank every night (or just the very humid layer of air that lies on the surface of a body of water, right about where your fuel tank vent is) until the ethanol is saturated and falls out of solution (phase separation) in your fuel tank.

Then, what you have left is a layer of very low octane gasoline (because ethanol is what boosted octane after MTBE was banned) floating on top of a layer of alcohol, water, rust and trash. Yes, trash – because ethanol is a great solvent for that buildup of gasoline varnish that has been accumulating in your tanks over the last umpteen years.

Alt_2Ethanol-phase-separation.jpg

So if you're lucky enough to have your fuel pickups higher than the alcohol-water-rust-trash solution at the bottom of your tanks, your motors will at best run kinda sorta in "limp" mode because your knock sensors detect the problems caused by the low-octane fuel ... but watch out, because boats roll, pitch and yaw, and then you'll pick up some of that water-alcohol-rust-trash "maggot stew," which will swell and plug your fuel filters and rust components of your fuel system...

Yep, boats do just fine on E10! Got a new battery in your EPIRB?

If boats do "just fine" on E10, then why is there not a single marina that I know of, that sells E10? Surely if it didn't cause problems, boaters would demand it, given that it's about $1.50 less per gallon – don't you think?

Me thinks IF you do some reasearch you might reconsider that statement !

I don’t need any research as my statement is based on real world experience. I saw more wood in a week than most do in a year. I have used over a hundred gallons of e10 so far this year in my various saws, backpack blowers, weed eaters, tillers, and lawnmowers.I have had absolutely zero fuel problems. Why would I change a product when it’s caused not a single problem. This nonsense didn’t start till the grossly overpriced premix fuel hit the market. It’s utter nonsense. I personally know the owners of two tree removal business and one logging operation. Between the three of them they own and run over a hundred saws every single day. None of those saws have ever burned anything but e10 and not a single one of them has ever had any problem caused by fuel. I know the owners of three different landscape companies that all use e10 in all their equipment. All of these owners busted out laughing when I ask them about how many problems e10 had caused them. These companies combined own over a million dollars worth of equipment and not a single piece has ever used anything but e10 and not a single e10 problem has been encountered. I don’t think any research is required to form an opinion. If you feel that e10 causes you problem then by all means go buy some insanely overpriced premix. I will not waste my money.

...unless, of course, you keep your boat in the water (who would ever do THAT?) where the ethanol picks up the water from the dew that forms in the tank every night (or just the very humid layer of air that lies on the surface of a body of water, right about where your fuel tank vent is) until the ethanol is saturated and falls out of solution (phase separation) in your fuel tank.

Then, what you have left is a layer of very low octane gasoline (because ethanol is what boosted octane after MTBE was banned) floating on top of a layer of alcohol, water, rust and trash. Yes, trash – because ethanol is a great solvent for that buildup of gasoline varnish that has been accumulating in your tanks over the last umpteen years.

Alt_2Ethanol-phase-separation.jpg

So if you're lucky enough to have your fuel pickups higher than the alcohol-water-rust-trash solution at the bottom of your tanks, your motors will at best run kinda sorta in "limp" mode because your knock sensors detect the problems caused by the low-octane fuel ... but watch out, because boats roll, pitch and yaw, and then you'll pick up some of that water-alcohol-rust-trash "maggot stew," which will swell and plug your fuel filters and rust components of your fuel system...

Yep, boats do just fine on E10! Got a new battery in your EPIRB?

Water in boat fuel is a way of life which is why boats actually have a water separator in the fuel system. I let you in on secret as long as you swear to keep it to yourself. E10 actually stole the election from Hillary!

Water in boat fuel is a way of life which is why boats actually have a water separator in the fuel system.

First, not all boats have water separators in their fuel systems.

Second, for boats that do, when you have something as hydrophilic as ethanol in your fuel tanks, water separators fill up – and fast. They have the capacity to take out the water-alcohol solution in maybe a gallon of phase-separated fuel.

What then, when your filter element is swelled up like a sodden roll of toilet paper?

I don’t need any research as my statement is based on real world experience. I saw more wood in a week than most do in a year. I have used over a hundred gallons of e10 so far this year in my various saws, backpack blowers, weed eaters, tillers, and lawnmowers.I have had absolutely zero fuel problems. Why would I change a product when it’s caused not a single problem. This nonsense didn’t start till the grossly overpriced premix fuel hit the market. It’s utter nonsense. I personally know the owners of two tree removal business and one logging operation. Between the three of them they own and run over a hundred saws every single day. None of those saws have ever burned anything but e10 and not a single one of them has ever had any problem caused by fuel. I know the owners of three different landscape companies that all use e10 in all their equipment. All of these owners busted out laughing when I ask them about how many problems e10 had caused them. These companies combined own over a million dollars worth of equipment and not a single piece has ever used anything but e10 and not a single e10 problem has been encountered. I don’t think any research is required to form an opinion. If you feel that e10 causes you problem then by all means go buy some insanely overpriced premix. I will not waste my money.
Sir , if you read my above post you will see that in MY area the fuel was independently tested and was considerably Higher than the E10 listed ... 15-20% ethanol WILL f/u your chainsaw over time ! STIHL recommends no more than 10% ethanol - there is a REASON why ! Me thinks the engineers know 10x more than you and I put together ! I don’t shoot from the hip and do the research later ... again my ported saws run on motomix and/or 91 Non-ethanol fuel at 50:1 ... If you want to suffer the corn - gas performance blues then knock yourself out !!!!

I guess everybody is different, but I have ALWAYS run the best gas available in my equipment (dirtbike, lawn tractor, log splitter, generator, chainsaws, etc.). If the car will run on 15% then I don't care. EF is readily available and not expensive in my area.

Sir , if you read my above post you will see that in MY area the fuel was independently tested and was considerably Higher than the E10 listed ... 15-20% ethanol WILL f/u your chainsaw over time ! STIHL recommends no more than 10% ethanol - there is a REASON why ! Me thinks the engineers know 10x more than you and I put together ! I don’t shoot from the hip and do the research later ... again my ported saws run on motomix and/or 91 Non-ethanol fuel at 50:1 ... If you want to suffer the corn - gas performance blues then knock yourself out !!!!

I suspect there are regional differences in E content, and probably other additives as well. In the Pacific northwest ethanol causes all sorts of problems and there are quite a few stations selling non E. In central Arizona there are virtually no stations selling non E gas and nobody seems to have problems. I imagine atmospheric conditions are a factor as well.

If you’d bother reading my post you’d see that I’m not shooting from the hip I’m commenting about real world experience on a very large amount of equipment operated by professionals that have spent years building their businesses and have more real world knowledge than any engineer. Your faith in the engineers is woefully misplaced.
How many pumps did they test? At how many stations? In how many cities?
I’m sorry that you live in a liberal run cesspool, my state government does their job and conducts regular tests on fuel content. E10 is not a problem in my area. I don’t really care what Stihl says since I no longer own a Stihl . Just because there is a problem in one area doesn’t mean it’s a problem everywhere. If your state government would do their actual job instead of trying to impose their failed ideals on the rest of the country the pumps would dispense what the sign says it does or those operators would be shut down for fraud. None of my equipment suffers any proformance issues. If you want to throw money away on overpriced premix have at it. In my area you will not find anyone that makes a living with a chainsaw buying it.

In town there are some properties that are full of junk. Such that the town brought in dumpsters several weekends this past summer, to encourage people to clean up. As I can tell it made little difference, even though the dumpsters were filled beyond capacity within hours.

Equipment left outside year after year is not a good commentary on fuel quality usage. Just saying....

LIES! LIES! ALL LIES!!1!1!1!!

tenor.gif

Ethanol-Phase-Separation-Corroded-Carburetor-300x300.jpg
carbcorrode.jpg
gasoline-guide-water-ethanol.png
gasoline-guide-carburetor-200.png

dirty-carburetor-768x574.jpg

If you’d bother reading my post you’d see that I’m not shooting from the hip I’m commenting about real world experience on a very large amount of equipment operated by professionals that have spent years building their businesses and have more real world knowledge than any engineer. Your faith in the engineers is woefully misplaced.
How many pumps did they test? At how many stations? In how many cities?
I’m sorry that you live in a liberal run cesspool, my state government does their job and conducts regular tests on fuel content. E10 is not a problem in my area. I don’t really care what Stihl says since I no longer own a Stihl . Just because there is a problem in one area doesn’t mean it’s a problem everywhere. If your state government would do their actual job instead of trying to impose their failed ideals on the rest of the country the pumps would dispense what the sign says it does or those operators would be shut down for fraud. None of my equipment suffers any proformance issues. If you want to throw money away on overpriced premix have at it. In my area you will not find anyone that makes a living with a chainsaw buying it.
I’m not “throwing money away” in any way shape or form ... in fact I’m saving money in the long run ! I do not know more than the designers (engineers) of the equipment I use ... to believe otherwise is foolish imho ... I can’t speak to the quality of fuel in your area; maybe it’s fine for your purposes ... in my area and others it’s NOT ok and can cause/is causing problems with the equipment as evidenced by other postings in this thread ... I choose to eliminate e10 completely from the equation ... to each his own !

The REAL question is WHY would anyone own a boat? [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Why would anyone own a RV or a hot tub or a pool or a classic car or a motorcycle?? “Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats” Kenneth Grahame

Why would anyone own a RV or a hot tub or a pool or a classic car or a motorcycle?? “Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats” Kenneth Grahame

Owning a m/c is a Hell of a lot cheaper than seeing a therapist on a routine basis.

I've actually had sever issues with it, perticularly in my tractors. Besides it liking to eat rubber parts, a known and factual thing, the Ethonol easily vapes off. Think I'm kidding? There's an easy test you can try yourself. 1/2 fill a plastic fuel can with Ethonol gas and leave it outside for two weeks. Besides gassing off when you open it,
I read that it lowers the octane to 83 instead of 87, but I am not a chemist.

You'd be surprised. Gas and ethanol mixes have been used since the mid-late 1800s.
http://www.fuel-testers.com/ethanol_fuel_history.html
Hardly. They were a thing but not the norm. Non of the pumps in the tri-state area had ethanol in a real quantity when the last carb car was sold. If you take ethanol out of gas you just pumped, yes it will lower the octane. They sold pump gas without ethanol for years up to 91 octane. Again, ethanol raises the octane so they add crap to bring it back down.

Latest posts

Back