Will E15 gas replace E10

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would anyone own a RV or a hot tub or a pool or a classic car or a motorcycle??
We have a small motorhome that we use for camping a few times per year. Half of the trips are for touring the trails on an ATV. The other half, we take fishing on a boat that I picked up for $600 after repairs. We spend as low as $200 on a weekend trip. Thats a cheap vacation!!

I use E10 on the MH only because it is EFI. On the ATV and Boat, I also ONLY use nonoxy.

I can't believe anybody is stupid enough to think that ethanol is good for your engine or fuel system. I am an aircraft mechanic and its illegal to put in airplanes it's stupid to put in boats it's stupid to put in anything
Yeppers ! And that’s IF you are getting what’s labeled on the pump ie e10 ... in modern vehicles well ... but in ported 2-stroke chainsaws ? .... NO WAY HOSE !!! Not in MY hot-rods ... hmm let’s buy a $1000 chainsaw and run caca fuel in it ... yeah —— That’s the ticket !!! Bunch of know-it-all’s who will argue ad nauseam just so that they are “right” ... I’ve been there ; done that —— have the experience and the knowledge that comes with ... If you want your saw to last and more importantly PERFORM to it’s fullest .... STAY AWAY From E10 fuel !!!

I've actually had sever issues with it, perticularly in my tractors. Besides it liking to eat rubber parts, a known and factual thing, the Ethonol easily vapes off. Think I'm kidding? There's an easy test you can try yourself. 1/2 fill a plastic fuel can with Ethonol gas and leave it outside for two weeks. Besides gassing off when you open it,

Hardly. They were a thing but not the norm. Non of the pumps in the tri-state area had ethanol in a real quantity when the last carb car was sold. If you take ethanol out of gas you just pumped, yes it will lower the octane. They sold pump gas without ethanol for years up to 91 octane. Again, ethanol raises the octane so they add crap to bring it back down.

I remember gasohol during the gas crunch days. I don’t recall anyone whining or crying about it but I do remember them being upset at not being able to get any fuel. Propane conversions on boats were common during the initial introduction of modern E10. Stuff worked great and ran very clean but it proved way too expensive for the long haul and everybody now runs E10 as there is nothing else. Don’t seem to have a lot of problems at any of the marinas or with any of the autos. You would figure if ETOH was as bad as they allude it to be, you would see a lot more cars dead on the side of the roads (you know like Fords). I have several cars at 200k+ that are still going strong and have never tasted anything but E10 and “gasp” they are stored outside all year. Most of my saws have never been run on anything but E10 and somehow they are still going strong.

I can't believe anybody is stupid enough to think that ethanol is good for your engine or fuel system. I am an aircraft mechanic and its illegal to put in airplanes it's stupid to put in boats it's stupid to put in anything

Stupid is thinking that “it doesn’t cause any problems in my area” is the same as saying “it’s good for it” no one said anything about airplanes. Stupid is thinking an airplane engine is the same as a chainsaw engine.
I think you got lost as this is not an airplane forum. Your looking for stupidplanemechanic.com

Calling anyone that uses E10 in ANYTHING stupid is tad extreme IMO. Maybe they are stupid if they run it in anything OTHER THAN THEIR Car??? I but the number of people that run E10 in their vehicle is probably over 99%.
Who here runs non ethanol in their daily driver? If you do my guess is you wear a belt AND suspenders, safety glasses and a condom 24-7. [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Calling anyone that uses E10 in ANYTHING stupid is tad extreme IMO. Maybe they are stupid if they run it in anything OTHER THAN THEIR Car??? I but the number of people that run E10 in their vehicle is probably over 99%.
Who here runs non ethanol in their daily driver? If you do my guess is you wear a belt AND suspenders, safety glasses and a condom 24-7. [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Yah ... vehicles are designed to run on it ... they are also 4-cycle not 2 ... read about how ethanol can cause problems with mix-oil and get back with us ... and don’t forget your propeller- cap along with the rest of your outfit lol !

Prior to using canned fuel, I ran pump gas in all of my O P E for years and years. Never a problem or issue. I've never had to rebuild a carb or rebuild an engine cause of ethanol.

If I had my druthers, I'd like my fuel to be E-Free. But, I'm not going to pay extra for it, or go way out of my way to find it.

I suspect a lot of the problems being expressed, are due to improper storage and/or too old of fuel. I have plenty of friends that own O P E. I see how it gets used, maintained, and stored. No wonder they have issues...........:rolleyes:

Prior to using canned fuel, I ran pump gas in all of my O P E for years and years. Never a problem or issue. I've never had to rebuild a carb or rebuild an engine cause of ethanol.

If I had my druthers, I'd like my fuel to be E-Free. But, I'm not going to pay extra for it, or go way out of my way to find it.

I suspect a lot of the problems being expressed, are due to improper storage and/or too old of fuel. I have plenty of friends that own O P E. I see how it gets used, maintained, and stored. No wonder they have issues...........:rolleyes:
Yah ..... my point is that the biggest issue is what is coming out of the pumps at your local gas station ! That’s the biggest issue imho ... if the fuel is 15-20% ethanol when the pump sez 10% your ope ain’t gonna likey !

Yah ..... my point is that the biggest issue is what is coming out of the pumps at your local gas station ! That’s the biggest issue imho ... if the fuel is 15-20% ethanol when the pump sez 10% your *** ain’t gonna likey !

I can only go by what the stickers on the gas pumps say.

Ethanol not to exceed 10%.

We get the so called winter blend here. Stuff turns the freeways into ice roads. Its to blame for more mass pile ups then a few flakes of snow. Then the run off of the roads and deicing chemicals kill off 25-30 year old trees faster then Monsanto's best.

Yah ..... my point is that the biggest issue is what is coming out of the pumps at your local gas station ! That’s the biggest issue imho ... if the fuel is 15-20% ethanol when the pump sez 10% your *** ain’t gonna likey !
Dodgy retailers the world over dump all sorts of cheap stuff into their tanks to maximise profits & rip off people, suppliers not so much, modern engines are designed & constructed without the use of ethanol affected materials these days, now the same can't be said for Chinese aftermarket parts .

Where are you seeing "nothing else" except E-gas at a marina? I've been to a lot of marinas, and I've seen "nothing else" except 100% gasoline (usually 89 octane), ever.

In NE unleaded fuel with MTBE began to be replace by E10 starting in the early 2000. By 2012 the phase out was totally complete. To my knowledge, the only place in NE you can get fuel without ETOH is at an airport. I have never done this so I can’t tell you the specifics but it is not a practical option from a time standpoint and you certainly aint going to motor your boat to an airport. Husqvarna or stihl are all too happy to prey on your fears and sell you ETOH free mix at over $30 a gallon. Convenient? Sure. Cost effective?

The only other potential source of ethanol free fuel is some mysterious swill sold at some stations near major race ways. It is called “racing fuel” and the only thing that seems to be know about it is that it is 110 octane. What they use to boost the octane remains a matter of debate. Some say its good old fashion tetraethyllead. Others say its anhydrous alcohol. At $10 a gallon it does not really matter. Too expensive to be practical. So, we are back to E10 pump gas and some of us have been using it for almost 2 decades. Despite all the alarm bells, hand waving and unfound fear people have of it, I can tell you from real world experience, it works just fine which is fortunate as we have no other real options.

I don't know where in New England you live, but I'm gonna make a WAG and say Massachusetts, where I see at least 25 places that sell straight gas:

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MA

Looks like Maine has 76 places to buy it, Vermont has 95, NH has 42 and CT has 21. Even RI has five. That's almost 300 places within a few hours' drive. None near you?

You rely way too much on the internet and not practical experience. If you look at the “details” you will see the listings you posted are for the aforementioned “race fuel”. It is sold in gallon or 5-gallon cans priced accordingly. This aint pump gas. I don’t like going into MA unless I have no choice. I do have kin there and I can guarantee you, MA is as dry as a bone when it comes to non-ethanol fuel. There is another option on efree fuel. You can also buy Coleman lantern fuel which is pure white gas but the octane rating is very low. I don’t know if saws would run on it and it is stihl $10 a gallon.

There is another option on efree fuel. You can also buy Coleman lantern fuel which is pure white gas but the octane rating is very low. I don’t know if saws would run on it and it is stihl $10 a gallon.

"White gas" ≠ gasoline. It's naphtha. Dey's diffrunt.

You rely way too much on the internet and not practical experience. If you look at the “details” you will see the listings you posted are for the aforementioned “race fuel”. It is sold in gallon or 5-gallon cans priced accordingly.

Looks like you rely too much on BS. I clicked on a couple dozen places for "details" and not one referred to the aforementioned "race fuel." But maybe I'm just lucky. I find it hard to believe that places with names like "Quik Stop" and "Country Store" and "Bob's Marine" keep 5-gallon cans of racing gasoline on their shelves, but maybe I'm just skeptical.

What are you worried about it for, anyway? Didn't you say earlier in the thread that you left ethanol mix in a saw in your garage for 15 years and it started on the first pull?

No, I left ethanol mix in a POS ms361 for about 5 years to see “phase separation” and “orange juice jones” due to etoh pour out of the fuel tank. Now I am going to stop draining the water out of the water separators on my boat and other heavy equipment to witness the apt horror of the “filter element swollen up like a roll of sodden toilet paper”. You know, cuz I read it on the internet and it must be true. Once again, if e free pump gas, short of an airport, exist anywhere in NE, I don’t know about it. Can you imagine all of us running E10 in everything and surviving? Oh, the inhumanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWeO1q0gHJE

So the OP;” echomeister” (if that is his real name) starts a war and hasn’t been seen since...

He’s out buying all the good saws from underneath our noses while the war goes on without him.

Clever

Latest posts

Back