Will E15 gas replace E10

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like a lot of energy going into defending E10 here. Also a lot of the same talking about false internet facts. I'm pretty sure there is a way to do a poll on forums so why not ask and get 100% real life opinions? No explanations just a yes or no?
IME I can't say anything good about E gas except that it works in the wife's odyssey. My truck is diesel and my small equipment is all 2cycle. Neither will get E10 or E anything.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Not defending E10. We run it here because we have no other choice. Some of us have been running for close to 2 decades and have not had any problems with it in anything. People like to come onto the internet and regurgitate what they have read or hear about the horrors on this fuel without any experience in actually using it. Most of it is nothing more than unsubstantiated BS.

If you have a reliable source of non-ethanol fuel, run it. You want to fill husky and stihl coffers with good folding money buy canned pre-mix. You like breathing lead and wasting your time, go for airplane fuel. I will be the devil advocate and tell you that there is nothing I can find wrong with E10 fuel and I have tried to find the problems.

2 boat shops supplement my fuel supply for a Super M, DC & SC Case, JD A, TO35 Ferguson and a 336 Moline on a sawmill with gas they deem unfit that I haul home and separate.
Octane is really not an issue, most listed was designed to run on 70 octane with the JD A being able to run on kerosene or #1 furnace oil. So there might be some issues with the fuel.

If you look at the “details” you will see the listings you posted are for the aforementioned “race fuel”. It is sold in gallon or 5-gallon cans priced accordingly. This aint pump gas.
Looking at the details, it looks like half of the gas stations sell regular premium without ethanol. My town sells E0 premium and it works fine in my tools. Not only does it not cause a hassle, but it saves me money and time since I haven't had to clean carbs. Maybe you've had good luck; sounds great. Stick with what works. But it sounds like the majority of people here also have real world experience comparable to yours that seem to have trouble with it.

Propane conversions on boats were common during the initial introduction of modern E10. Stuff worked great and ran very clean but it proved way too expensive for the long haul and everybody now runs E10 as there is nothing else.
If they were bigger boats, this is the dumbest thing I have heard. Nobody with a cab on the boat even runs a propane grill because propane is heavier than air and can suffocate anybody lounging in the cab. Many states have implemented laws requiring detectors in boats over a certain length and anything with bunk cabs for this very reason.

He’s out buying all the good saws from underneath our noses while the war goes on without him.
The "good saws" to me are the ones that get running by replacing milky white and/or crumbling fuel lines and stiff carburetor diaphragms. Is ethanol totally to blame? I have no idea but if it keeps cheap easy to repair saws coming my way bring on the E15!!

Looking at the details, it looks like half of the gas stations sell regular premium without ethanol. My town sells E0 premium and it works fine in my tools. Not only does it not cause a hassle, but it saves me money and time since I haven't had to clean carbs. Maybe you've had good luck; sounds great. Stick with what works. But it sounds like the majority of people here also have real world experience comparable to yours that seem to have trouble with it.

If they were bigger boats, this is the dumbest thing I have heard. Nobody with a cab on the boat even runs a propane grill because propane is heavier than air and can suffocate anybody lounging in the cab. Many states have implemented laws requiring detectors in boats over a certain length and anything with bunk cabs for this very reason.

Too funny. You actually talk like you live around here and know all the details. Too bad you are from away and still believe everything you read on the internet. Once again, no Efree fuel at any pumps in NE short of airports. The Big city near me is called Portland. You find me an Efree pump in the area not at an airport or selling canned racing fuel and I will be more than happy to go and “get some”.

You need to qualify “big boat”. I think Norway has cruise ships running on CNG. Propane conversions are still readily available and still being done. Propane burns very clean with minimal fumes thus very little contamination in the oil and wear on engine components. Gasoline vapor is also heavier than air which is why you turn on the blower motor for a min or 2 before you start the engine or it too can go boom. Fire onboard boat is bad and has been for centuries. I think even the big cruse ship cook on electric stoves.

Good news! I was just at the Opie shop getting some oil seals for the bota and husky has dropped the price of premix fuel to $20 a gallon. What a deal for the homeowner.

Even better news. I have theoretically located an efree pay at the pump source of fuel! It’s just like winning the lottery! A few hot leads and some phone calls and it looks like there is an airport that has a pay at the pump, drive up, no hassle, source for e free fuel for $5.75 a gal. Its about a 56 min drive each way. I am going to attempt the trip tomorrow or Sunday to check it out. Now if this works out, I will need a new guinea pig to test this stuff. I am thinking an ms241. Oh, this is going to be sweet.

Found a station that sells E85, so I started mixing half a tank of it into my non-flex fuel vehicle. No problems other than mpg's went down. The third fill of E85 gave me a check engine light as there was no regular gas mixed in. CEL stopped popping up as soon as I added regular fuel back in. Really need some high compression to make that E85 work well. Final tally of mpg's was a 19% loss with E85.

Also found a place that sells 98 octane, non-ethanol, non-leaded from the pump at a price cheaper than buying the 5-gallon VP fuel. I don't need that much octane, but no regular fuel stations in my area are E-free.

Centaur, you keep saying it's all canned "racing gas" but in ME, most of the places say it's 91 octane.
Is there such a thing as 91 octane "racing gas"? Those must be some crazy-high-compression racing motors in those funny cars!
knary.gif

Found a station that sells E85, so I started mixing half a tank of it into my non-flex fuel vehicle. No problems other than mpg's went down. The third fill of E85 gave me a check engine light as there was no regular gas mixed in. CEL stopped popping up as soon as I added regular fuel back in. Really need some high compression to make that E85 work well. Final tally of mpg's was a 19% loss with E85.

Also found a place that sells 98 octane, non-ethanol, non-leaded from the pump at a price cheaper than buying the 5-gallon VP fuel. I don't need that much octane, but no regular fuel stations in my area are E-free.

yup, this is how we are saving the planet by being forced to use fuel which lowers fuel mileage thereby burning more fuel. In your case significantly more. Add all that up and I doubt that overall emissions have gone down even a little bit.

smoke and mirrors. Lies.

yup, this is how we are saving the planet by being forced to use fuel which lowers fuel mileage thereby burning more fuel. In your case significantly more. Add all that up and I doubt that overall emissions have gone down even a little bit.

smoke and mirrors. Lies.
Yah , and when you discover they can use crude oil to make ethanol (the other way is from sugar fermentation) it really starts to burn your fanny ... pay more ! And STIHL get the shaft !

Hello! This is how government works. Feed the people bs until they say yum yum

I think the biggest irony is that Obama and others justify ethanol mandates on the claim that ethanol supposedly reduces carbon emissions and will Save The Planet® when in fact for every unit of energy produced, ethanol actually puts out MORE carbon emissions than gasoline.

Far more of the combustion energy of ethanol comes from the oxidation of carbon (into CO2) than gasoline, which gets most of its energy from the oxidation of hydrogen (into H20 which is water)...
lol8.gif

So my question for all the ethanol fanboys is, Why do you hate polar bears?

Even better news. I have theoretically located an efree pay at the pump source of fuel! It’s just like winning the lottery! A few hot leads and some phone calls and it looks like there is an airport that has a pay at the pump, drive up, no hassle, source for e free fuel for $5.75 a gal. Its about a 56 min drive each way. I am going to attempt the trip tomorrow or Sunday to check it out. Now if this works out, I will need a new guinea pig to test this stuff. I am thinking an ms241. Oh, this is going to be sweet.
It took me about 5 mins to find that Robinson Marina has "91 OCTANE NON ETHANOL GAS IS AVAILABLE BY 24 / 7 WITH CREDIT CARD" for under $4/gallon. It is an hour away, but if you use it in any other equipment besides the saws, such as lawnmowers or snowblowers, it is worth it. However, at that distance, I would buy at least 10 gallons at a time to make it worth the trip.
http://robinsonmarina.com/?page_id=41

Thanks for the help but dude, I don’t know about this pump. A lone pump in the middle of nowhere, that don’t move a lot of fuel. Assuming it exists and don’t pump out ½ water, this could be more than a wild goose chase. Once again, you can’t believe everything you read on the internet. You seem to be going out of your way to prove me wrong. Why??

http://www.buyrealgas.com/Maine.html

I am not going off of what the internet says. Like you, I am going off of my own personal experience. Its true that the quality may vary based on location. I live in MN. I go to some gas stations and notice 1-4mpg drop vs others in town, primarily based on how much ethanol is in their fuel. (My current vehicle gets around 15-19mpg depending on where I get gas, so its a pretty noticeable difference.)

I have lots of 2 and 4 cycle machines. Some of my 4 cycle machines will congeal in as little as 1 month in the carburetor. It looked like somebody put orange jello in the bowl. On my 2 cycle machines, I have had to rebuild almost every carb every year because bits of ethanol varnish got into the jets, running 50:1 with synthetic 2 cycle oil and I got tired of it.

I even had to work on a few snowmobiles that were left with full gas tanks, mixed with 2 cycle oil, treated with Seafoam and/or Sta-bil and more often than not, I have to flush and rinse the fuel tank and notice that there is a very large amount of separation from the ethanol/water mix and gas.

With every machine that I switched over to E0, additionally instructing the owners of the machines that I repaired to also use E0, the fuel issues have essentially gone away.

Seems like a lot of energy going into defending E10 here. Also a lot of the same talking about false internet facts. I'm pretty sure there is a way to do a poll on forums so why not ask and get 100% real life opinions? No explanations just a yes or no?
IME I can't say anything good about E gas except that it works in the wife's odyssey. My truck is diesel and my small equipment is all 2cycle. Neither will get E10 or E anything.

Ok ther seems to be a huge lack of reading comprehension here so I’ll try to clarify my statements. I am not defending e10 or saying it’s “good” for saws. All I’m saying is that I nor anyone I know has experienced any problems with it. I do find it curious that I never heard of any trouble with O P E using e10 until a couple of months before premix fuel hit the shelves in my area and is it mere coincidence that I only heard it from the people that now sell it?

Ok ther seems to be a huge lack of reading comprehension here so I’ll try to clarify my statements. I am not defending e10 or saying it’s “good” for saws. All I’m saying is that I nor anyone I know has experienced any problems with it. I do find it curious that I never heard of any trouble with O P E using e10 until a couple of months before premix fuel hit the shelves in my area and is it mere coincidence that I only heard it from the people that now sell it?
Yah ... Fuel quality and ethanol content vary across the country ... just because YOU haven’t experienced any problems with it does not mean others in different areas have not ... STIHL introduced motomix back in 2011 as they were concerned about fuel quality in different countries ... there is /was no conspiracy to “rip off the consumer” rather STIHL was concerned about failure due to poor fuel ... do you really believe the gas you get today is as good as what you got in the 70’s ? Why anyone would run ethanol-fuel in a $1000 chainsaw is beyond me especially when viable alternatives exist !

. do you really believe the gas you get today is as good as what you got in the 70’s ?

Hell no but the gas I HAVE is way better [emoji16]

Back