Wondering about the new saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

col56

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if the new saws are better or worse then the loder saws.

I have a few older Stihl saws, 041 Farm Boss and 056. They still run fine and start right up.

These older saws were built very well. I know a lot of older things seemed to last longer and were built better then the newer things (washing machines, stoves, etc) Are the older saws better then the new Stihl saws ?

Col

Hi all,

I have a few older Stihl saws, 041 Farm Boss and 056. They still run fine and start right up.

These older saws were built very well. I know a lot of older things seemed to last longer and were built better then the newer things (washing machines, stoves, etc) Are the older saws better then the new Stihl saws ?

Col

Simple answer - depends on which newer ones you consider.....:D

Last edited:
I'm just talking in general, are the newer saws that Stihl make better then the older Stihl saws ?

No particular model.

Col

Every time I see the new vs. old saw debate come up this quote from the movie Snatch always pops into my head
"Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit 'em with it."

At 40+ years old I am praising my ms 361 for it's lightness,excellant anti vibe,and also fuel economy.I still like my 038 but it the improvements are hard to miss on the new saws, and yes the filler caps are somewhat hokey,I already dumped out a full tank of bar oil because i thought it was closed:bang:

I prefer the new caps.

That aside, the new saws cut faster and have more power for a given weight/cc. This comes at the penalty of more plastic and less mag. Dad's old 041 is still running after 34 yrs. Doubt mine will last that long at the pace I'm using them.

The newer pro saws a e much better than the old... power, vibes, weight, fuel, repairability.. etc etc...

And remember...For every 056 , 031, or 041 (for example) still running there have been hundeds junked... A new saw bought by a typical "non-pro' can last almost forever.. just like the older saws did. In the hands of a "pro", just like the old saws, not long at all... Just assume a couple of thousand hours... how you get there over how long is up to the owner..

Last edited:
The newer pro saws a e much better than the old... power, vibes, weight, fuel, repairability.. etc etc...

And remember...For every 056 , 031, or 041 (for example) still running there have been hundeds junked... A new saw bought by a typcial "non-pro' can last almost forever.. just like the older saws did. In the hands of a "pro", just like the old saws, not long at all... Just assume a couple of thousand hours... how you get there over how long is up to the owner..

I did remember the second time around how those new fuel caps work.:)

I did remember the second time around how those new fuel caps work.:)

lololol. 10 seconds after detailed instruction on securing the 361 oil cap...:D :D :D

attachment.php

Don't forget Stihls new MS441 antivibe and air injection was designed and produced over 20 years ago by Jonsered and Husky. The side chain tensioner,master control switch and of course a strong dealer and factory support is what kept Stihl strong.

Willard:popcorn:

Don't forget Stihls new MS441 antivibe and air injection was designed and produced over 20 years ago by Jonsered and Husky. The side chain tensioner,master control switch and of course a strong dealer and factory support is what kept Stihl strong.

It also has the strato charge system that Husky couldn't get right the first time.

Ever think reliability has anything to do with Stihl's success?

20 years ago ????????? lololol...

and it was Partner... not husky/jonny on the so called "air injection".

It also has the strato charge system that Husky couldn't get right the first time.

Ever think reliability has anything to do with Stihl's success?

Strato charging wasn't taken seriously back then . The new EPA rules is what brought it on . And your a Honda man? Check out my profile about Stihl reliability.

Willard:D

Strato charging wasn't taken seriously back then . The new EPA rules is what brought it on . And your a Honda man? Check out my profile about Stihl reliability.

Willard:D

I'm talking about the 575.

I work on Honda cars.

Hi all,

Col
I think there are many factors that cloud this issue over. And there are more important factors than how well they're built - mainly maintenance, care and use.

BUT, I believe many things are not made today with as much reliability and long life today as they were in the past. There are exceptions, and everyone will be quick to point them out. Andy was right in saying we only here about the survivors, not the many that were trashed.

However, our society now wants cheap, new things the whole time. In general (bar many people on AS and the like) people don't want something fixed, they want it new. So there's more demand for cheap products than high quality expensive ones. Most people live in densely populated areas so can 'pop down' to a shop when something breaks (again, exceptions of rural communities). Pros want a new saw every year cos it's cheaper than there time pissing about with an old one.

People want the absolute maximum power out of the smallest saw - bad for long life. EPA want them low on emmisions so they're running on the edge. Labour is cheap (and poor standards) overseas (no names...).

IMHO opinion this is true with all mainstream consumer products. It was considered a given that a 40 series landcruiser or pre 124 mercedes would get 350 km, do the bearings n rings, then get another 350 km, keep repeating till you die or crash it. Now people are impressed if a car gets 200 km before it's totally gone, with 150 being the general acceptance of a dead car. But people want a new one before 50 now, so who cares right? (70 series 'cruiser being the soon to be discontinued exception)

These are just snippets I've picked up from listening to people for a while, and impressions I've got from pulling things apart all my life. But I'm sure there are heaps of blokes that'll have different opinions and more factual takes on it so don't take that rant too seriously!

Last edited:
I think there are many factors that cloud this issue over. And there are more important factors than how well they're built - mainly maintenance, care and use.

BUT, I believe many things are not made today with as much reliability and long life today as they were in the past. There are exceptions, and everyone will be quick to point them out. Andy was right in saying we only here about the survivors, not the many that were trashed.

However, our society now wants cheap, new things the whole time. In general (bar many people on AS and the like) people don't want something fixed, they want it new. So there's more demand for cheap products than high quality expensive ones. Most people live in densely populated areas so can 'pop down' to a shop when something breaks (again, exceptions of rural communities). Pros want a new saw every year cos it's cheaper than there time pissing about with an old one.

People want the absolute maximum power out of the smallest saw - bad for long life. EPA want them low on emmisions so they're running on the edge. Labour is cheap (and poor standards) overseas (no names...).

IMHO opinion this is true with all mainstream consumer products. It was considered a given that a 40 series landcruiser or pre 124 mercedes would get 350 km, do the bearings n rings, then get another 350 km, keep repeating till you die or crash it. Now people are impressed if a car gets 200 km before it's totally gone, with 150 being the general acceptance of a dead car. But people want a new one before 50 now, so who cares right? (70 series 'cruiser being the soon to be discontinued exception)

These are just snippets I've picked up from listening to people for a while, and impressions I've got from pulling things apart all my life. But I'm sure there are heaps of blokes that'll have different opinions and more factual takes on it so don't take that rant too seriously!

+1 I agree with much that you said about our throw away society. It will be interesting to see if we do enter a prolonged economic slowdown through out the G-7 counties if the desire of consumer to accept low quality in return for low prices continues, as I believe prior generations were better served by smaller amounts of better quality goods than large amounts of Wally World junk. Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back