Wood splitter Build off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmetalbend

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
All right, let's finish this subject of "Cheap, knock off, home built, reworked splitters". My suggestion a Build off. Who want's to step forward? Two teams. Team Homebrew and Team Bankrupt.

Last edited:
The first problem you will encounter with a build -off is getting people to agree on what is the best design.

What will the criteria be?

Able to split 4 ft. diameter blocks

Able to split xx cords per hour

Able to be operated by one person

Able to be operated by one person all day long

Able to be handicap operable

Spltters Rule

All right, let's finish this subject of "Cheap, knock off, home built, reworked splitters". My suggestion a Build off. Who want's to step forward? Two teams. Team Homebrew and Team Bankrupt.

I think splitters a the most intresting piece of equipment on this forum, Lots of people are building there own, and lots are modifying the ones they bought, saws are cool 2 but no matter what you do to them they all pretty much look the same, .As far as a build off goes lets do it , Ill need about 6 mos to get mine finished, the one I have now does the job fine , but the new one Iam putting toghter is going to be alot more fun to run, FAST, and easy to do large rounds, Not for my own wood consumption but so I can sell wood aswell and enjoy processing the wood, T,C, E,J,

The first problem you will encounter with a build -off is getting people to agree on what is the best design.

ummm....what "one person" is going to be lifting a 4 ft. diameter block??????? if you know of one, tell me who he is so i don't piss him off.:greenchainsaw:

ummm....what "one person" is going to be lifting a 4 ft. diameter block??????? if you know of one, tell me who he is so i don't piss him off.:greenchainsaw:

UMMMMMMMMMMMM....................................................

I've been know to.

No Rules<.................

All in good fun,..Maybe have two classes, up to 10 hp, , and then the UNLIMITED CLASS, I remember seeing a post of a guy building a turbo charged (single cylinder i think) log splitter, Some people race cars, some pull tractors, and trucks, why not log splitter races?..LOLOL, we could have reginal competition, and then a national meet,....LOLOLOL E,J,

Being able to split 4 ft. diameter blocks means that the machine has to have the power to lift and split the blocks.

One man operation means that a single person should be able to operate the machine without needing assistance over a long period of time.

The last challenge would be to build it for less than $2000.00 with all new materials.

The self propelled is fairly easy, they already make them. It only becomes difficult if you want it to do hyway speed. I have already figured how one would fit nicely in a Suzuki Samurai 4x4.

The self propelled is fairly easy, they already make them. It only becomes difficult if you want it to do hyway speed. I have already figured how one would fit nicely in a Suzuki Samurai 4x4.

OK ok great idea's but self propelled? ok ya in the unlimited class. But it has to do 55mph. other wise you'd have to build some sort of trailer. Oh shi@ I already won. Mine will do 55 and split a 4 foot round, you don't have to pick it up onto the splitter And the elevator was just to show off. Alright I know that's not fair but here's pics to prove it. Oh And it'll pull a trailer also. Classes, we need classes. I like the 10hp and under, new material's only, but let's have a 10hp and under used materials too(my fav). That and I don't have any moooooooooola, but I got parts.

All in good fun,..Maybe have two classes, up to 10 hp, , and then the UNLIMITED CLASS, I remember seeing a post of a guy building a turbo charged (single cylinder i think) log splitter, Some people race cars, some pull tractors, and trucks, why not log splitter races?..LOLOL, we could have reginal competition, and then a national meet,....LOLOLOL E,J,

Dam this sounds like fun. But we need to stay real. 4 foot blocks aren't on ever woods corner. And people who are disabled don't need to be in the woods anyway, no offence. Seriously I don't want to split several cords, 12 blocks is enough say 16 inch in diameter. Green wood only.

???????

Being able to split 4 ft. diameter blocks means that the machine has to have the power to lift and split the blocks.

One man operation means that a single person should be able to operate the machine without needing assistance over a long period of time.

The last challenge would be to build it for less than $2000.00 with all new materials.

Man, I gotta tell ya, that would be a challenge! Less than $2,000.00!! Do you think that is even possible....Under $2000.00 yes, but new materials.....man I don't know about that...

I think if this is going to be interesting we should have a couple of classes.....so that way we can let people's imaginations just go buck wild!

Class 1: Under $2,000.00 class

Class 2: Junkyard class ( get all your parts at a junkyard )

Class 3: Under 10 hp class

Class 4: Unlimited, the sky is the limit, resources mean nothing and neither does money!

How bout that? I wanna put my application in now for the Junkyard class!:greenchainsaw:

I dont have the link handy....but jump on "youtube" and look at the "Worlds fastest logsplitter"

How does that fellow still have his limbs?????

I had to add the disabled part because I have a relative who has lived with wood heat all his life. He now is in his mid-70's with bad hips and knees. He says he is to old to invest in a new heating system, doesn't figure he will live long enough to get his monies worth out of it.
Several relatives and friends get together a couple times a year to cut and block 15 plus full cords of wood for him. Then he sits and splits at his own pace for something to keep him active.

I dont have the link handy....but jump on "youtube" and look at the "Worlds fastest logsplitter"

How does that fellow still have his limbs?????

I seen that vid too, that is insane:rock: I hope that is a personal operation. If a safety inspector seen that, he would :censored: a gold brick. :hmm3grin2orange:

elevator

OK ok great idea's but self propelled? ok ya in the unlimited class. But it has to do 55mph. other wise you'd have to build some sort of trailer. Oh shi@ I already won. Mine will do 55 and split a 4 foot round, you don't have to pick it up onto the splitter And the elevator was just to show off. Alright I know that's not fair but here's pics to prove it. Oh And it'll pull a trailer also. Classes, we need classes. I like the 10hp and under, new material's only, but let's have a 10hp and under used materials too(my fav). That and I don't have any moooooooooola, but I got parts.

C Metal,.. Is that a home made elevator or a converted hay unit,..The double chain has me guessing,..T,C, E,J,.

Ok how am I supposed to enter?? I got most of my parts for my junkyard class splitter I just need to assemble them. I still need to figure out how I can get that cylinder off of the junk Cat track hoe and power it with a V6:laugh:

Keep It Simple

Man, I gotta tell ya, that would be a challenge! Less than $2,000.00!! Do you think that is even possible....Under $2000.00 yes, but new materials.....man I don't know about that...

I think if this is going to be interesting we should have a couple of classes.....so that way we can let people's imaginations just go buck wild!

Class 1: Under $2,000.00 class

Class 2: Junkyard class ( get all your parts at a junkyard )

Class 3: Under 10 hp class

Class 4: Unlimited, the sky is the limit, resources mean nothing and neither does money!

How bout that? I wanna put my application in now for the Junkyard class!:greenchainsaw:

Only,..two classes, FIRST CLASS, 10 hp and under, run what you got, Boughten, stolen, borrowed, stock, or modified ,,,,, 2ND CLASS,,.....UNLIMITED,,....SCATTER SCHILDS REQUIRED UPON JUDGES RULEING, Seriousley, This could be FUN,..All sorts of classes can be added If there is intrest, Iam serious about doing this for the FUN and see where it goes, The worst that can happen is people will build better splitters<<<<,OH and no matter when it was built enter here TODAY,....LOLOL E,J,

Back