Wood splitter Build off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe

OK so we're decided on two classes 10.99 and under and Unlimited. Correct? I removed the auto cycler rule, and added the sfty sheids over drive shafts. Do we agree on any other rules. I havent heard any arguemants on rules 1,2,4,5,. If we agree they'll stand.

The thing about the 16 in wood , split into 4 equal pieces is not reaalistic, for most cases, It should be 6 or 8 pieces, Iam not stuck on it but I think this should be just like splitting at home, Why not ,? The longer and the more pieces means more competition, lets take a vote, I think as much as possable we keep it as realistic as possable,. It really dont matter to me, what others think is more important, the no mechanical splitter rule, is another thing I am not sure is a good thing, why not let them compete, there a stock store bought splitter, like I said the first year lets just wing it, If we get enough people intrested, we can add more classes next year, Iam not afariad of getting beat, This is a, (all in fun thing) dont start makin rules that will limit the competition, another thing to vote on, just be thankfull if we get enough people that want to compete,..E,J,

The thing about the 16 in wood , split into 4 equal pieces is not reaalistic, for most cases, It should be 6 or 8 pieces, Iam not stuck on it but I think this should be just like splitting at home, Why not ,? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Really 6-8, Where I come from those would be considered tooth picks. I guess 4 semi equal peices just sounded symetric. 6-8 would be substancialy more peices to count once the timer stopped. I thought 64 was a stretch. we'll do like you said and put it to a vote.

voting

Ok competor's Let's hear your vote, either (4) equal peices per 16'' block making 64 total or (6) totaling 96 or (8) totaling 128. Please anwser by number of peices not total. 4,6, or 8:popcorn:

The thing about the 16 in wood , split into 4 equal pieces is not reaalistic, for most cases, It should be 6 or 8 pieces, Iam not stuck on it but I think this should be just like splitting at home, Why not ,? The longer and the more pieces means more competition, lets take a vote, I think as much as possable we keep it as realistic as possable,. It really dont matter to me, what others think is more important, the no mechanical splitter rule, is another thing I am not sure is a good thing, why not let them compete, there a stock store bought splitter, like I said the first year lets just wing it, If we get enough people intrested, we can add more classes next year, Iam not afariad of getting beat, This is a, (all in fun thing) dont start makin rules that will limit the competition, another thing to vote on, just be thankfull if we get enough people that want to compete,..E,J,

As far as mechanical's go bring em on, but it has to be a mechanicl aparatis using a motor in some fashion of the splitting. Other wise we're talking about totally different ball games.

pics

The thing about the 16 in wood , split into 4 equal pieces is not reaalistic, for most cases, It should be 6 or 8 pieces, Iam not stuck on it but I think this should be just like splitting at home, Why not ,? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Really 6-8, Where I come from those would be considered tooth picks. I guess 4 semi equal peices just sounded symetric. 6-8 would be substancialy more peices to count once the timer stopped. I thought 64 was a stretch. we'll do like you said and put it to a vote.

most pics of wood piles here on AS show the same a 10 in round is split into 4 pieces, after that ,more, and 16 in rounds are usally 8 pieces, just lookin at pics, I personally will not split any thing that fits in the door, thats a 12 in round if the coals are HOT, , I really dont care, I want a majority ruleing,...Not,.. its my way or the high way, let the people speek,..

Last edited:
I think the 8 split would work for the under 11 class as the 4-ways would have to re-split rather than being done in one stroke. I don't think the under 11 class could handle a 8-way wedge.

Yes, the motorized impact splitters should be allowed. This under 11 class is more for seeing what works better or easier and to see what everyone has done to improve their machines.

splitter mechinics

As far as mechanical's go bring em on, but it has to be a mechanicl aparatis using a motor in some fashion of the splitting. Other wise we're talking about totally different ball games.

Iam not sure what you mean, compair that, to the super splitter, do you have a problem with the supper splitter mechinics, I dont know about supper splitters, so explain,....T,C, E,J,

Iam not sure what you mean, compair that, to the super splitter, do you have a problem with the supper splitter mechinics, I dont know about supper splitters, so explain,....T,C, E,J,

The super spliter, is a mechanical splitter. It uses a small gas engine to drive two flywheels, running parallel to each other. The shaft running from one to the other (From what I can tell by demo) has a heavy duty gear on it. where a hydralic splitter has a Ram, the super splitter has a square shaft. that square shaft also has a gear pattern cut into one side that mates to the gear between the flywheels, you pull the lever operating the cam under the shaft, thus engageing the gear driven by the flywheels. Then the shaft is pushed out quickly making the impact used to split the wood. It's simple, compact, and very productive. THE ONLY PROBLEM, check out rule #2 not to mention it will probably have alot of trouble with unseasoned wood rule #1 maybe not, I dont' own one.

Last edited:
50-60 ish depends on how far I turn up the injection pump, if needed I could go as high as 85-90 hp but the motor makes 48hp stock. it will have a 3 section Commercial Shearing brand pump with the first section making 30 gpm for splitting and the other two sections are 9.8gpm each and I will use one section to run my conveyor and the other will be used as a cooling loop and for a log lift

hyd power

50-60 ish depends on how far I turn up the injection pump, if needed I could go as high as 85-90 hp but the motor makes 48hp stock. it will have a 3 section Commercial Shearing brand pump with the first section making 30 gpm for splitting and the other two sections are 9.8gpm each and I will use one section to run my conveyor and the other will be used as a cooling loop and for a log lift

Ive been itchin to pull the power plant out of a advance parking lot sweeper, Its a 4 cyl ford industerial 1.6 liter, its got a two section pump system, a compete package, The super splitter Iam building will planted into a trailer frame some day, with a feed trough, and cut off saw, making a wood processor, so its going to be over built until the rest is complete, Id like to use a circular cut off, Do you still know where I can find a 50-60 inch,blade with carbide inserts, I remember yoiu posting once that you had a sorce for them, Thanks E,J,

So far we have 2(4peices) & 2(8 peices) votes. I think we have alot of replies with no vote. we'll give it another week. And then tally the votes. do we need to post plans, before hand? I'm gonna sugest we just build them, video, and post on you-tude. For reasons like the distance we're all seperated, cost of fuel to transport. At that point the viewer's could decide the winner . We'ed just have to use or own wood though. All serious competetor's need to sign in. 10.99 and under and UNLIMITED. we'll end the entries and the votes next week on Saturday. Just post up what class you'll be competing in. I'll gather all entries. And those people will be the the first pioneer's of the sport. :clap:

Entres

So far we have 2(4peices) & 2(8 peices) votes. I think we have alot of replies with no vote. we'll give it another week. And then tally the votes. do we need to post plans, before hand? I'm gonna sugest we just build them, video, and post on you-tude. For reasons like the distance we're all seperated, cost of fuel to transport. At that point the viewer's could decide the winner . We'ed just have to use or own wood though. All serious competetor's need to sign in. 10.99 and under and UNLIMITED. we'll end the entries and the votes next week on Saturday. Just post up what class you'll be competing in. I'll gather all entries. And those people will be the the first pioneer's of the sport. :clap:

CMB, Whats the hurry, tell me why you think people should have to turn in any kind of paper work in one week?. This is not going to take place for 4-6 mos, As far as people building a special one-of-akind, splitter for a splitting contest, aint gona happen, at least not until it becomes a real sport, like chain saw competition,. So the Idea of we gota decide on how many blocks were gona split, by next friday, in order to procede, is not relevent, in my opinion, Ive been saying all along,..Keep it simple, so any body can compete, AND If there is enough intrest, It could grow into more than just a you tube thing,. Id like to see it grow into sompthing bigger, Like a sanctioned event with sponsers, and everybody,.A good way to do that is getting it going with alot of people partisapating, So dont try (ruleing out) all the options, Or you wont have any body to compete with,

I am game for using U boob for competing for starting with, it should be rather interesting. But as cabin man said before eventually get it to grow from a loose knit bunch of wacko's and crack pot's to a organized sport on ESPN 2 mixed in with the Stihl chainsaw racing.

Maybe this could be worked out as a ArboristSite event where the arborist have a place to dump their wood . The chainsaw group can have their chainsaw racing. The splitter group can have splitter racing .

When we are done the wood could be donated to the needy.

That is a fantastic idea there trip what better way to help the needy than to give them a hot fire.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back