Wood splitter Build off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wood cost

Maybe this could be worked out as a ArboristSite event where the arborist have a place to dump their wood . The chainsaw group can have their chainsaw racing. The splitter group can have splitter racing .

When we are done the wood could be donated to the needy.

I was wondering about the cost of the wood, I figured it wood be high, because we wood be competing with the loggers, to make it fair, every body splits straight grain right? Hard wood? but I thought we wood have a saleable product when done, to help pay for the wood, I like the Idea of donating it, the the needy, T,C, E,J,

AS field days

Maybe this could be worked out as a ArboristSite event where the arborist have a place to dump their wood . The chainsaw group can have their chainsaw racing. The splitter group can have splitter racing .

Trip, your on to sompthing,..Why dont you talk to DOM and ask him to do the STICKEY thing on all forums, see what responce you get and WE might be havin a OLD Fashioned AS field day,...I like the way you think,.T,C, E,J,

CMB, Whats the hurry, tell me why you think people should have to turn in any kind of paper work in one week?. This is not going to take place for 4-6 mos, As far as people building a special one-of-akind, splitter for a splitting contest, aint gona happen, at least not until it becomes a real sport, like chain saw competition,. So the Idea of we gota decide on how many blocks were gona split, by next friday, in order to procede, is not relevent, in my opinion, Ive been saying all along,..Keep it simple, so any body can compete, AND If there is enough intrest, It could grow into more than just a you tube thing,. Id like to see it grow into sompthing bigger, Like a sanctioned event with sponsers, and everybody,.A good way to do that is getting it going with alot of people partisapating, So dont try (ruleing out) all the options, Or you wont have any body to compete with,

I'm really not in any hurry, we just seem to keep turning in circles. As far as one of a kind "Yes it's gonna happen." Gonna happen soon as we get the rules ironed out. Ya see that's the thing you can build most anything, but to enter the contest(with somthing different) you need to know the paramineters. So you can build accordingly. Sorry if I'm rearing to go. I'm just cholmpin at the bit. But if we don't get the ball rolling soon enough we'll also loose interest. Soon as summer hits I'm gonna be busy running my bussines. I tackle these things in the winter, nothin else to do.:dizzy:

Check this idea "Get the chainsaws to cut the wood for the spliter comp" Two comp's with one wood.

Paramaterts

I'm really not in any hurry, we just seem to keep turning in circles. As far as one of a kind "Yes it's gonna happen." Gonna happen soon as we get the rules ironed out. Ya see that's the thing you can build most anything, but to enter the contest(with somthing different) you need to know the paramineters. So you can build accordingly. Sorry if I'm rearing to go. I'm just cholmpin at the bit. But if we don't get the ball rolling soon enough we'll also loose interest. Soon as summer hits I'm gonna be busy running my bussines. I tackle these things in the winter, nothin else to do.:dizzy:

Ok I thought we just agreed that its a simple 2 class contest, Didnt we,? arent the parameters as simple as under 11 hp,... and then the open class?. whats there to decide other than that right now, Go for bust man,.You will be makin a pile a mile high for next years burning, The other details are not going to affect how you build your splitter, that I can see,..T,C, E,J,

yea I can still get the large circ blades but they have gone up, a 56" one is $3k now :jawdrop:
I just found a 8hp Kubota liquid cooled Diesel out at a friends shop so I guess I am going to be making him a splitter too so we will see what one gets done first, I am currently building a electric one for my uncle in Texas

Saw Blade

yea I can still get the large circ blades but they have gone up, a 56" one is $3k now :jawdrop:
I just found a 8hp Kubota liquid cooled Diesel out at a friends shop so I guess I am going to be making him a splitter too so we will see what one gets done first, I am currently building a electric one for my uncle in Texas

Thats for a NEW one loaded with carbide, I Hope,. Thanks E,J.

BUMP!!!! so what are the rules???

also another rule to add.....
I do not think a processor should be allowed to be in the wood splitter class, it should be in its own, and manually loaded splitters by hp in another class, maybe 0-10 hp 10.1-20hp 20.1-30hp and 30.1-45 and 45.1 and up i don't think its fair to state 11 and up as many people use engines of horse powers between 11-45! any more than that and they are more than likely using motorcycle or car engines with tons of overkill.

also should modified engines be forced to be run on a dyno? because if i for instance turbo a 10 hp engine i might end up with quite a few more hp, enough to make me jump up a class... however to put a guy with a turbo automatically in an unlimited class is not fair because he would be running against guys like my buddies with car engines powering 1 stage pumps and duel rams and so forth...

I think we should look to auto racing (like salt flats racing) to get classes setup where most people are happy... for instance, mine is an antique flathead engine and its being turbocharged.... however everything else is being done up in 1950's fashion to match my 1949 8n ford tractor.

I guess what i am saying is, is that the spitters we all build are as unique as the guys building them, and thus go in every extreme. we all build them with one goal, but how we go about it can be totally different... like take an electric splitter, some jackhammer, some run a hydraulic pump, some turn an acme screw...what class would that fit in?? should it be in the same class as a guy running a 3 hp weed eater engine spinning a huge flywheel at 6,000 RPM ready to release its energy once you trip the lever?

so do we accommodate existing and currently built up splitters or does every1 have to go by specific rules? To me personally, i find the unusual interesting, and if not allowed or made in such a way they wouldn't be competitive because of rules i think we will loose some interesting creativity in the field that represents this hobby so well....

-Leo-

Last edited:
Classes

Osn,..Are you the guy building the turbo wisc,??? Thats a sweet build any how,..The main thing I see here Is just getting this thing off the ground,And makin sompthing of it,., And hopefully having an AS field days,..where we can get together and Make everything work ,, So lets keep it simple and wing it the first year,...Two classes Up to 10 hp, and then the unlimmeted clas and see what happens,...Eric

yeah Eric, thats me, I am that guy, even locally... lol

I keep getting side tracked though, my father wants a sprayer for his fruit trees (he is sick of pumping) so I ended up picking up a 1940 something hand start Wisconsin engine to fix up to mount to a 300+ PSI chemical pump of course, the heads combustion chamber is soooo big causing such little compression (and lousy hp for its size) I am half tempted to machine another head (and keep the original one safe) and use a 2 cyl magneto coil and cap to fire it so i can have duel plugs in a new billet head....

so as you can see I get distracted easy, and go overboard.....

anyways the splitter project is moving SLOW, had a fever last week, now I cant shake the cold i got after it, i cant wait till summer shows up.

Last edited:
Me 2

yeah Eric, thats me, I am that guy, even locally... lol

I keep getting side tracked though, my father wants a sprayer for his fruit trees (he is sick of pumping) so I ended up picking up a 1940 something hand start Wisconsin engine to fix up to mount to a 300+ PSI chemical pump of course, the heads combustion chamber is soooo big causing such little compression (and lousy hp for its size) I am half tempted to machine another head (and keep the original one safe) and use a 2 cyl magneto coil and cap to fire it so i can have duel plugs in a new billet head....

so as you can see I get distracted easy, and go overboard.....

anyways the splitter project is moving SLOW, had a fever last week, now I cant shake the cold i got after it, i cant wait till summer shows up.
Me 2,. Soo many projects Soo little time, But I need 2 get r dune Cuz I dont have ANY wood for next year,......I cant wait to see your turbo wisc splitter running,.one of the things that makes, And,.. keeps life Intresting,....Keep us posted,.. Eric

Latest posts

Back