"You Suck" Thread 2023"--Pics required!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to look for a handle. Big box stores are so notorious for selling those crap handles. Going up and hit the mountains tommorow for a load of firewood. Take my little homelite up with me and look for a decent peice of ash or oak I can whittle. Tommorow won't be "what's on my bench" more like "what's in my vise on my trailer" Stay happy and productive. cheers

I went to look for a handle. Big box stores are so notorious for selling those crap handles. Going up and hit the mountains tommorow for a load of firewood. Take my little homelite up with me and look for a decent peice of ash or oak I can whittle. Tommorow won't be "what's on my bench" more like "what's in my vise on my trailer" Stay happy and productive. cheers
There's an old fellow who makes those handles a the Pickens County flea market, he's there every Wednesday.

So the 394 I posted above fell through, seller ghosted me when I wouldn't do a deal with him off of ebay. Also the 18-in bar plug in electric saw I've been using for small jobs burned up a couple weeks ago so I've been on the lookout for a smaller saw. Caught this one on Facebook Marketplace $25 listed as "worked a few years ago". I was lucky and was the first one to message the seller. when I picked it up he said there was a lot of interest, which doesn't surprise me. He asked that I let him know if I get it running. Took it home and put in some fresh gas and a little down the throat of the carb and it started right up and seems to run good, I need to get a chain though to make sure everything's working but definitely seems like a good $25 spent

20" sprocket nose bar has some rust damage but I'm hopeful its still usable.

Fuel line and carburetor kits are cheap for those , crank seal are both the same on the Super, 6119 single lip or 6120 for double I believe. Doing a little bit of maintenance and it should last you your life.

A Stihl BG 55 blower for $20. My neighbor spotted it on CL and texted me and I picked it up
BG55.jpg
The owner said it starts and runs poorly. The local Stihl dealer told her that it needed to be rebuilt and purchasing a new blower would be the better option.
I'm thinking a hardened metering diaphragm was the likely issue, and didn't even try to start it until I got home. Come to find out by adjusting the high and low jets of the carburetor it ran just fine. Asked my neighbor if he needed a small gas blower which he did( guessed that because he texted me) and he gave me $20 for the blower and he added another $5 for picking it up and adjusting the carburetor. He's a great neighbor and I would have given it to him.

I don't care for the local Stihl dealer for just this type of dealing, fortunately Horner's isn't that far away.

Found all this on a CL ad for $75.
IMG_1280.JPG
The gear drive Mac is nice that it's set up for .404" chain rather than a pitch that is expensive or hard to find. Had it pop on prime today. The Super Pro 80 has spark but I couldn't get to pop. The Poulan 4200 has no spark. The Husky 365 special is a rebuild even though the piston doesn't look horribly scored. The other saws are giveaways to someone who wants a project.

OK, sometimes I just need to get away from my computer to keep me off CL and auction sites....

357.jpg562XP.jpg
I picked up the 562XP for $75 and the 357XP for $70. No issues with either of them other than they were dirty, but just put fuel in them and they both ran like they were supposed to.
At the same auction I picked up a MS661C for $360, but I'm not yet sure it will be a suck class purchase. The piston looks good, but it doesn't pull over correctly, so I might need to split the case and replace the bearings.

House of Handles has them. I still have a couple we bought in the 70's that look like that.

My current projects include swapping a hot rodded WB820 out of my Root (2nd from the back) and installing a milder WB610 with an iron cylinder (paper air filter) because all of our Ash died and I will be running the snot out of this saw. My son will be getting the WB820 for his Root Whiz (not in this picture). The saw in the back is a parts saw. The 2 engines in the front are the wrong rotation for saws but will be going into Rokon 2WD motorcycles. One engine (no crankshaft) is being used for flow testing carbs and reeds. This one is destined to become a dyno mule to back up the flow testing.1687533683927.jpeg

Back