Who treats their gas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no, that's not good..as the higher end vapors,,if the vent is working, may start to vent out,,which will leave EXPLOSIVE vapors in that cabinet..........and ruin the fuel in the process.. even tho the oil will stay in the fuel,,which will then put a higher concentrate of oil to fuel ratio......

I've got some stuff on storage shelves in my other big shop that only gets to outside ambient temp inside instead of the hot oven type heat. I was also concerned about the vapors. The pod is also sealed real tight and not a good thing for gasoline vapors. (possible big bomb waiting for a happening)

Thanks.

I use av gas and quit worrying about it. It's in my generator, saw, weed eater and leaf blower. All of them ignite within 4 pulls. Av gas is easy for me to get, though.

94 octane e free mixed with Stihl @50:1 2 months max kept then into the car it goes. For my generator I have 2 4L cans of Motomix. There is no need for me to store my fuel for any longer. All OPE is drained and ready for the next season. Every spring we see a sea of lawnmowers at work all in for carb work, e free fuel stabilizers and still they will not start..You know what we do not see?, the mower of the guy who drains his mower every fall and runs it dry. Why take the chance? ;)

All *** is drained and ready for the next season. Every spring we see a sea of lawnmowers at work all in for carb work, e free fuel stabilizers and still they will not start..You know what we do not see?, the mower of the guy who drains his mower every fall and runs it dry. Why take the chance? ;)
You guys must have really crappy fuel, or poorly made carb kits and rubber parts!? o_O

I hope to be spared of E-fuels for the near foreseeable future!
I won't even consciously buy Ethanol containing fuel for my car when I'm on a vacation trip through (Western) Europe.

Never been drained for storage reasons and running issue free:
Sachs-Dolmar 105/1986. - factory original carb kit, fuel hose and rubber carb boot - pump membrane might became weak by now, considering carb rebuild
Dolmar PS-6400/2001. - fully factory original - no issues
Dolmar PS-7900/2003. - bought used and to my understanding fully factory original - no issues
Einhell BG-PM51/2009. - 6HP 4-stoke engine lawn mower, fully factory original - no issues other than occasional erratic "self-throttle" response under unexpected load (hitting a ant or mole hill, or comming across a thicker grass patch)
Iskra XY-BC415/2014. - generic Chinese weed whacker, all factory original, still under warranty - no issues other than a stuck tank vent, which has been remedied

KNOCK ON WOOD , and then turn it to a huge pile of wood chips just for the fun of it! :chainsaw:

Issues encountered:
MTD 790AST/2006. - weed whacker, didn't make it trough its first tank of fuel as the fuel hose just fell apart, literally to pieces - I blame poor manufacturing quality, rubber fuel hose has been replaced with a nylon one that holds up fine since. This thing might require a full carb rebuild, but I don't care as I use the Iskra which is much stronger.

I use a little less than 2.5 squeezes of the pink Sta-bil in a 5 gallon container of Non-Ethanol, premium/high test grade gasoline.

Have had No fuel system problems since going with that regimen.
Using the local Ethanol blend(s) was costing me much more in time and repair parts than a little extra drive time for the E-free fuel.

Exactly the regimen I run, but with 91 octane. I always add a couple caps of Sea Foam and a cap or two of Startron as well. Zero issues, zero problems with any of my equipment.

I use E-free 91 octane usually, sometimes E-free 87 octane, with a quality 2 stroke oil (using Red Armor right now). I add 2 ounces of seafoam per gallon.

I will add Seafoam to my non-mix gas also (1 ounce per gallon). I don't use Sta-bil much anymore because my gas doesn't sit for long and I use e-free gas.

Never tried Startron but hear good things. I thought it was for ethanol gas so I don't have a need.

Gasoline for general use--Regular Sta-Bil (will switch to Marine formula when the regular runs out) at the ratio recommended by the manufacturer.

Gasoline two-cycle mix--Regular Sta-Bil (will switch to Marine formula when the regular runs out) and Seafoam, both at the ratio recommended by the manufacturer. Echo synthetic blend at 40:1.

So I have a simple question. I have seen Sea Foam on the shelf at the auto parts store. My question is what is Sea Foam? (And what does it do and how does it do it and what does it compare to and why do we need to use it and do any large entities/agencies use Sea Foam?)

So I have a simple question. I have seen Sea Foam on the shelf at the auto parts store. My question is what is Sea Foam? (And what does it do and how does it do it and what does it compare to and why do we need to use it and do any large entities/agencies use Sea Foam?)
I tried the Seafoam in gasoline and was not impressed. seemed to be overpriced. Lots of good reviews but on-line reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt, especially if you don't see any bad or low ball reviews. I left a very bad review awhile back for a piece of eq and when I checked couple weeks later THEY (the big name tool/eq retailer) had completely changed my BAD review to a Excellent review. I don't want to mention their name online. I'll tell them (the manager) what I think about them in person later.
I started making the home brew Seafoam receipe from this link with same results as the store bought.
http://hildstrom.com/projects/seafoam/index.html
Used the receipe mostly too treat standby gen gasoline, but found best to cycle the gasoline instead of trying long term storage. Don't have any faith at all in stabilizers and additives.
I was using it in non ethanol 4 cycle mowers and small tractors with Briggs and Stratton engines (8-20HP) and also tried it in ethanol vec's.
I had some slow speed idle issues with the Briggs low emissions non adjustable carbs was why I tried it in the mowers engines.
I always had to pull the carbs and clean the low speed jet area to get back to good idle and too remove a slight hunt and surge at intermediate and High speeds. (seafoam did not ever correct a carb issue) I've quit using all additives and just use non ethanol gas in mower and vec's and use Stihl oil mix in the 2 cycles, saws and leaf blowers. I never use any additive to my 2 cycle engines, just
STihl oil/gas mix and mix just enough so as it gets used up to reduce storage and never any carb issues.
Long term storage of 4 cycle engines (6 months) I just add little ATF to the non ethanol fuel.(Automatic Transmission Fluid)
and try to start them about once ever 2 mo's and use 12v solar chargers on the larger tractor and farm eq batteries. (don't have to use jumper cables to exercise the eq that has solar chargers)Some of the equipment is inside barns and solar panels mounted on outside of barn/sheds.

Back