ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Gazebo for processing wood?

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by ChoppyChoppy, Dec 31, 2018.

1. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

I've been using a "pop up" awning over the operator station of my processor.

Around 10x10, something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JB3YJL...&pd_rd_r=f6187ba6-0d5d-11e9-a088-a167811d1016

The tarp self destructed last night. I had it setup to keep snow off, well it got warm and the 2-3" of snow on it was enough to tear the tarp apart.

I was wondering if the $200-300 gazebo's might work better. Something I can leave the tarp on and not have to constantly pull it on or off because of the wind.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunjoy-Doubl...ouble+roof+gazebo&refinements=p_85:2470955011

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H7FCCL...&pd_rd_r=06ea409f-0d5f-11e9-b744-c97d5c894571

Ideally I'd like to put the whole thing under a permanent roof, but as usual time and money only allows for so many projects at a time.
    Have considered a "temporary" wood framed unit with even just tar paper roof, but I'd still easily be in it $500+

Anyone using such a thing?

2. Woodchuck71

Woodchuck71 ArboristSite Operative

Seems to me,you should be able to build a 10×10 structure with treated wood and a steEl roof for the same amount?

3. Stonesforbrains

Stonesforbrains ArboristSite Member

B2634FAA-7F5B-43D4-8E64-2DB710040633.jpeg I built a 12x12 that slopes from 10’ to 8’ tall from eastern red cedar that I have on my place. I’m out $350 total in concrete for setting the posts and the sheets of corrugated metal for the roof. I built it for a place to dry the the wood I plan to mill and a place to tool around until I get a garage built. Going to side it with more cedar as I get it. Pic is when I’m at the end of putting the metal on the roof. I am using what I have and am not a carpenter by any means. Just a suggestion.

4. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot ArboristSite Guru

You could build an open sided 10x10 wood structure for $250-$300 imo. I wouldn’t bother with tarp structures. I built a 6’x24’ woodshed with open sides and a shingled roof for around $600. This past weekend I bought enough 5/4 pt deck boards to do the 3 sides, with spaces in between the boards for air circulation. Those boards cost an additional $209

al-k likes this.
  5. ChoppyChoppy

No way. I'd have easily $500 in just the roof.

The 16x20 shed I built several years ago cost me about 10k in materials.

6. Flatbed Firewood

Flatbed Firewood ArboristSite Lurker

Have you thought about a large picnic table umbrella? A collaspeable one.

I find them effective, portable and easier to crank up. Used one all last summer on my sawmill.

kevin j likes this.
  7. Trapper_Pete

Trapper_Pete ArboristSite Operative

if you want semi portable temporary they make brackets to make your own canopy from conduit you can make it the size you need it and it uses easy to source heavy duty tarps.

I would do that over a gazebo.

8. moresnow

moresnow ArboristSite Operative

For fun start researching carports. I am set on putting one up on concrete (not that it needs to be) that extends out each end for a easily cleaned/swept up splitting area. And wood storage under the roof. They are relatively reasonable and very durable. A thought. Another reason to peck away at your keyboard and waste time:)

9. Sandhill Crane

Sandhill Crane AS Member

Same boat. Would love some shelter.
    I did go with an umbrella after the square sun shade tipped over one night last spring.
    It is kind of small, and as yet have not used the umbrella in the snow.
    It has an off set post. The crank up/down is great for summer sun, light rain and down at night, and down on sunny on cold days. I did set it up on a 9-cube pallet to more easily move it out of the way when I get log trucks in. It now sits kitty corner to where the photo shows for better coverage. Far from ideal. I have to spin it around for clearance to lower it. LED's are solar, and I did not even know they were there when I got it. IMG_4617.jpg

10. ChoppyChoppy

That an umbrella like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...TF8&psc=1&smid=A1AR8KNZVPH7FU#customerReviews

For ~$60 I'll give it a try. says it's 10ft, so roughly same size as my EZ Up dealio.

11. ChoppyChoppy

Looked into a few. Haven't found anything reasonable in price though.

12. Sandhill Crane

Sandhill Crane AS Member

Similar. Base is molded plastic and weighted. Crank slides up main post. Post rotates on base, which for me is important, because I have to rotate it to drop it, or the umbrella stays hit the benches and then it can not be dropped. I set it on a pallet so it can be moved easily when I clean up.
    I'll take and post some pictures of it tonight or tomorrow., and see if there is a brand name.

13. VW Splitter

VW Splitter ArboristSite Operative

I think mine is a 11' offset umbrella. It works great to hide from the sun or rain, but I would never leave it up to get snowed on. More than 2" of snow I bet would bring it down. The crank up umbrella is quick and easy if that works for you. How much is one of those metal roof garage buildings with the U shape metal frames? That might be a little more $ but you could leave it up. Add sides and ends at a later date. IMG_4052.JPG

bowtechmadman and Cody like this.
  14. Sandhill Crane

Sandhill Crane AS Member

Took photos but my laptop photo library is full. Can't get them on the desktop to load for the thread.
    Very similar to VW splitter's umbrella with molded, weighted base. Not fully raised in photo in post #9. It flattens out more.

15. Natster

Natster ArboristSite Operative

16. ChoppyChoppy

Couple I priced out were in the 7-10k area. Ones that would hold up to 50psf snow and 100mph wind.

17. moresnow

moresnow ArboristSite Operative

www.tristatecarports.com Buddy of mine is a dealer. I don't have one but plan on it. Looks like the low end model (12'x21') starts at $845. Top end (24'x40') is listed at $3975. Food for thought.

18. sb47

sb47 Addicted to ArboristSite

all it would take is something very basic.
    [​IMG]
    4 - 4''x4''s 14' long
    7 - 2''x6''s 10' long
    3 sheets of R panel 3'x10'
    and a box of self tapping sheet metal screws and a small box of nails. will get you a 10'x9' cover.

square1 and moresnow like this.
  19. ChoppyChoppy

"Have considered a "temporary" wood framed unit with even just tar paper roof, but I'd still easily be in it $500+"

20. captjack

captjack ArboristSite Operative

grab a 10x10 pop up tent like people use at kids sporting events for 50 bucks on sale