POS MS880 Design

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe I read through this whole thing for nothing. I was certain that STD was going to call someone a homo and scamper off again.

The same filtration system on the new model MS880.

attachment.php
:clap:

No mate, sorry.
The only numbers I have are for commercially used timbers.
I don't think I've even found any numbers for Yellow or White Box either, and they make Iron Bark look soft when crosscutting dead logs.

Bob posted some numbers for Tuart and Gidgee in that thread I linked to (i think)

Here's a bunch of Aussie wood Janka hardnesses from the supposed worlds top 100 hardest timbers taken from http://www.morlanwoodgifts.com/MM011.ASP?pageno=207 site, these are all for 12%MC timber. FOr comparison Osage Orange is 2320 and Hickory is 1820

Gidgee {Acacia cambagei}

Box Grey {Eucalyptus microcarpa}
Mallet Brown {Eucalyptus astringens}
Wandoo {Eucalyptus wandoo}

Casuarina {Casuarina equisetifolia}

Gum Grey {Eucalyptus propinqua}
Ironbark Grey {Eucalyptus paniculata}
Ironbark Red Broadleaved {Eucalyptus fibrosa}
Ironbark Red Narrowleaved {Eucalyptus crebra}
Sheoak Rose {Casuarina torulosa}

Bloodwood Brown {Eucalyptus trachypholia}
Box Grey Coast {Eucalyptus bosistoana}
Box Yellow {Eucalyptus melliodora}
Ironbark Red {Eucalyptus sideroxylon} 2

Box White Topped {Eucalyptus quadrangulata}

Gum Red Forest {Eucalyptus tereticornis} 2700
Gum Round Leaved {Eucalyptus denei} 2700
Messmate Gympie {Eucalyptus cloeziana} 2700

Missing from his list is

Gimlet {Eucalyptus salubris) 4190
Black Morrrel {Eucalyptus melanoxylon) 3460
Dundas Blackbut {Eucalyptus dundasii} 3960
Red Morrel {Eucalyptus longicornis} 3840
Salmon Gum {Eucalyptus salmonophloia} 3480

Another I have experience with is
Raspberry Jam {Acacia acuminata} is probably over 3500

Under this rating yellow and white box are not as hard as Iron Bark
However, these are indentation hardnesses, apparent cutting hardness are different and are related to things like the degree of cross graininess and the amount of silica that the timber has drawn up.

Some dead trees are all MUCH harder to cut up than trees felled as live and health plants. Dead trees will generally have undergone some stress before they die and it during this period that they pull up silica which adds to the apparent cutting hardness - the trees are not actually harder but the silica takes it toll on cutter edges making them seem hard.

The other thing that affects cutting hardness is where on a tree is being cut. The base and regions near crotches can be up to 20% harder than in the middle of s straight length of trunk.

BTYW these very hard timbers are fantastic for the fingerboards and bridges of stringed musical instruments, here a pick of a guitar I made using gidgee as the fretboard and bridge.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Before I came to this forum, I thought Euclyptus was just one tree. Heck it's almost every tree over there, right? Just different types. :dizzy:

Just over 900 recorded species according to my EUCLID Eucalyptus ID program :cheers:
There is certainly a lot of them around over here - they are in basically every area. Hot, cold, dry, wet etc etc...

Here's a bunch of Aussie wood Janka hardnesses from the supposed worlds top 100 hardest timbers taken from http://www.morlanwoodgifts.com/MM011.ASP?pageno=207 site, these are all for 12%MC timber. FOr comparison Osage Orange is 2320 and Hickory is 1820

Gidgee {Acacia cambagei}

Box Grey {Eucalyptus microcarpa}
Mallet Brown {Eucalyptus astringens}
Wandoo {Eucalyptus wandoo}

Casuarina {Casuarina equisetifolia}

Gum Grey {Eucalyptus propinqua}
Ironbark Grey {Eucalyptus paniculata}
Ironbark Red Broadleaved {Eucalyptus fibrosa}
Ironbark Red Narrowleaved {Eucalyptus crebra}
Sheoak Rose {Casuarina torulosa}

Bloodwood Brown {Eucalyptus trachypholia}
Box Grey Coast {Eucalyptus bosistoana}
Box Yellow {Eucalyptus melliodora}
Ironbark Red {Eucalyptus sideroxylon} 2

Box White Topped {Eucalyptus quadrangulata}

Gum Red Forest {Eucalyptus tereticornis} 2700
Gum Round Leaved {Eucalyptus denei} 2700
Messmate Gympie {Eucalyptus cloeziana} 2700

Missing from his list is

Gimlet {Eucalyptus salubris) 4190
Black Morrrel {Eucalyptus melanoxylon) 3460
Dundas Blackbut {Eucalyptus dundasii} 3960
Red Morrel {Eucalyptus longicornis} 3840
Salmon Gum {Eucalyptus salmonophloia} 3480

Another I have experience with is
Raspberry Jam {Acacia acuminata} is probably over 3500

Under this rating yellow and white box are not as hard as Iron Bark
However, these are indentation hardnesses, apparent cutting hardness are different and are related to things like the degree of cross graininess and the amount of silica that the timber has drawn up.

Some dead trees are all MUCH harder to cut up than trees felled as live and health plants. Dead trees will generally have undergone some stress before they die and it during this period that they pull up silica which adds to the apparent cutting hardness - the trees are not actually harder but the silica takes it toll on cutter edges making them seem hard.

The other thing that affects cutting hardness is where on a tree is being cut. The base and regions near crotches can be up to 20% harder than in the middle of s straight length of trunk.

BTYW these very hard timbers are fantastic for the fingerboards and bridges of stringed musical instruments, here a pick of a guitar I made using gidgee as the fretboard and bridge.
attachment.php

Chainsaws? Why bother? You're just wasting your time on AS and your money on whatever worthless chainsaw dealers you have. I think explosives are better for you mates Down There. :) :)

If the wood is as hard and fine as you say (cue drama llama now), why bother to cut it?

Mates. :givebeer:

Last edited:
Just over 900 recorded species according to my EUCLID Eucalyptus ID program :cheers:
There is certainly a lot of them around over here - they are in basically every area. Hot, cold, dry, wet etc etc...

Thats insane! I swear I thought Eucalyptus was the name of a single tree. Learn something new every day. :cheers:

So is'nt that what Koala bears eat? or is it pandas?:)

[snip]

If the wood is as hard and fine as you say (cue drama llama now), why bother to cut it?

Mates. :givebeer:

'cause,

1. In most areas it's all you have.
2. Some of the best construction timber on the planet in terms of strength, hardness and life.
3. Incredibly hot and long lasting firewood. (if you can actually get it ignited :laugh: )

Thats insane! I swear I thought Eucalyptus was the name of a single tree. Learn something new every day. :cheers:

Pandas eat bamboo.

From wikipedia
The koala will eat the leaves of a wide range of eucalypts, and occasionally even some non-eucalypt species such as Acacia, Leptospermum, and Melaleuca. It has firm preferences for particular varieties of eucalypt and these preferences vary from one region to another: in the south Manna Gum, Blue Gum, and Swamp Gum are favoured; Grey Gum and Tallowwood are important in the north, and the ubiquitous River Red Gum of the isolated seasonal swamps and watercourses that meander across the dry inland plains allows the koala to live in surprisingly arid areas.

Here's a bunch of Aussie wood Janka hardnesses from the supposed worlds top 100 hardest timbers taken from http://www.morlanwoodgifts.com/MM011.ASP?pageno=207

[snip]

Cheers Bob, a few there I don't have.

Re the Box's, around here they are notorious for being tougher to cut than Iron Bark, with the double whammy of all the nice dirt pulled up inside them by our little white mates.
As you say, part of it is grain structure too, some of the box I've cut can't be split by hand easily, most not at all depending on the tree and my mates 30 tonne splitter stalls out on the stuff too.
Iron Bark splits with ease, it has a nice, straight grain.

Last edited:
Hmmm....Thinking. Got an ebony log here (8") a friend gave me. I might slap on a diamond chain a try to cut a cookie-just to see what happens! I expect a lot of buildup but can't say for sure. Wood down under that hard and hard on carbide to boot might make for an interesting experiment. I won't be trying to break any speed records but I have cut averaging 55 linear' at 16" thick of some very, very f#*"n hard steel reinforced (#10) concrete with one Twinmax chain. Let you all know when I get it done. Pandas like bamboo-Koalas like Eucalyptus. Neither are bears. I like picnic baskets but I haven't been classified as a bear or not...yet. Yogi lives! John.

Last edited:

Pandas eat bamboo.

From wikipedia

Koala = eats leaves from various eucalypts = marsupial = native to Australia (ie Not a bear)

Panda = eats various types of bamboo = type of Raccoon = native to China (ie not a bear)

first of all HUSKY SUCKS :biggrinbounce2:

2nd, its not just the hardness but the sand and grit in the timber as it grows a slow hard life....plus the fact that alot can be in flood regions that see huge changes in water level (once in a life time lol) which carries with it crap etc...

3rd Tdi-rick knows a thing or 3 about filters and oil....trust me

4th did I say HUSKY SUCKS :deadhorse:

I was wondering about the sand growing into it as it matures.

I was told that a concrete saw with a carborundum blade (cast iron cutting, maybe) works well for cutting up railroad ties. Guess it only goes so deep, but a rather unique idea.

I heard also about chemicals in the wood eating up magnesium cases. Palm or something, I think.

Logging is obviously tough in Australia. I bet some of these woods are pretty exotic looking.

Yep, Palm is pretty nasty on magnesium.

Ekka knows all about it, it's about all he works on where he is and he goes through saws pretty frequently as a consequence.

Yep, Palm is pretty nasty on magnesium.

Ekka knows all about it, it's about all he works on where he is and he goes through saws pretty frequently as a consequence.

Yeah Rick, you know when a saw has been cutting Palm and hasn't been cleaned - that gear really makes a mess. Monstrous big pitts in the casing and clutch cover etc. I serviced a McCulloch PM610 for a guy who had been cutting Palms and to be honest the saw was basically a write off but still ran so he was happy (I'm surprised a piece of snot like this even used Magnesium? If it actually did...). I went and sold him a $100 24" Tsumura and a couple of new chains for it. Probably tripled it's value :) The only saw I'll use on a Palm is my cheaparsed Poulanesque McCulloch 2316AV.

I was wondering about the sand growing into it as it matures.

I was told that a concrete saw with a carborundum blade (cast iron cutting, maybe) works well for cutting up railroad ties. Guess it only goes so deep, but a rather unique idea.

I heard also about chemicals in the wood eating up magnesium cases. Palm or something, I think.

Logging is obviously tough in Australia. I bet some of these woods are pretty exotic looking.

BobL and others here know alot more about cutting wood, and our conditions......but I have a fair idea on the end product being a carpenter and joiner.

of course growing conditions vary around the country and there are numorus species.....one mate, botanist, once told me "common names are for ####heads" so there may be slight differences in actuall wood when people refer to common names.....but all in all they are tough....

I once made the coment that some in certain parts take up carbon from the soil when growing, BobL commented that carbon forms life....true but they also add carbon to increase the strength/tougness of steel....I cant recall the exact example, but lets just say that some of the ground they grow in is terribly harsh by growng stndards and this effects the end result...

cutting dressed posts and beams its not uncommon to have the odd spark come off the blade. chisels respond well to a different cutting angle but still dull very quickly compared to pinus radiata....unfortuantly due to the popularity of thin kerf blades in NA...99% of available saw blades have gone that way and they are not better in our hardwoods.....to the point where a sharp blade can get so hot it binds and when withdrawn from the cutt and run in the air it cools and distorts up to 7mm(14-15mm in total...kinda like a woble dado blade).....returning fairly straight but damage has been done....

nailing 3 inch nails in a hitachi nail gun run at 120psi often result in leaving the nail proud upto 20mm and they can not be hand driven the rest of the way without bending...this when laminating two 35mm thick beams together...we normally use concrete (hardened) nails hand driven instead

not long ago i was reflooring an old house...HWD floor joists with hoop pine 3/4 over....laying new 3/4 hoop pine over the lot....65x2.8 bright steel bullet head nails hand driven, pre drilled holes @ 2.5mm and still had a few bend due to the joists being to hard...had to cut with pincers and punch remaining over.

most of the palms cut on the east coast arnt native...they are referred to as cocus palms???

but regarding the tanins (sp) etc from our hardwoods they are quite harsh...stain concrete like pigs blood and only high pressue and acid will get it out....i recently cut up about 2-3m3 of gum for my neighbour that had 4 trees dropped (I blocked them up for him to save him some bucks of the tree guys so they didnt have to block and remove) when I got down to the stumps apporx 30 inch round, there were pockets of sap, like the colour of blood and thick and tacky.....its dried hard on the chain and is just a bugger to deal with...

Im sure BobL and matt etc can add alot more to this.

make it known we are not saying that out timber is tougher bigger stronger etc etc...just different....just like wwe dont have the beautiful firs and ceders of the PNW etc

Logging is obviously tough in Australia.

Nah mate it's not. Our plantation timber being pine with some Blue gum and Mountain/Alpine ash etc. Non plantation being Mountain/Alpine Ash etc. All very easy timber to deal with. Our usual means of harvesting is by machine with the use of chainsaws virtually non existent that I'm aware of, in our region at least.

mate and i use a concrete saw mounted on a frame to cut railroad ties, works a treat, will get some pics of it. the soil around broken hill is full of almost every metal known to man. the creek were i cut is on the "line of lode" the biggest deposit of lead, zinc and silver in the world. not to mention iron ore deposits around town and mineral sands which contains zircon that gets used to make industrial ceramics, that are second only to diamond in hardness. so as far as testing out a chainsaw and chains durability, i think im in a good spot. and for any mad max fans i cut right next to the area where the fuel compound was in mad max 2. give ya some idea of the "post apocolyptic" region i live in:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back