Looking for the smoothest 50cc saw around.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Cutter

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for your opinions of the smoothest 50cc saw. I know there will be a lot of different answers, but give it to me anyways. By smoothest I mean the best weight, max RPM, nicest cutting, smoothest vibration, etc etc. Thanks all.

Ryan

Might take a look at the Echo CS-520.

cs-520.gif

Just like Gary I'm not partial to any brand so I say a Husky 346xpg :)

/Kristoffer

Wood Cutter said:
Hi all,

I am looking for your opinions of the smoothest 50cc saw. I know there will be a lot of different answers, but give it to me anyways. By smoothest I mean the best weight, max RPM, nicest cutting, smoothest vibration, etc etc. Thanks all.

Ryan
DOLMAR, PS -5100S

GASoline71 said:
MS260.

Gary
:jawdrop: :bang: Definately not, the MS260 is an old design that vibrates a lot compared to some other saws, like the Huskys (350, 353 and 346xp) and Dolmar PS-5100.

Sthil needs to take there 260 dinosaur and put it in the Museum.
Husky or Dolmar.
I like swedish girls in Red.

Well, I own: 346XP, Shindaiwa 488, Solo 651SP, Dolmar 5100S.....all are woods ported. Used to run 026's, in stock form. Stock, the 5100 is the fastest of all, and best built. I never much liked the 026's...they have a couple minor things that weren't great...like the switch design and too soft anti-vibration system.

Well, I don't know much. I've had a Crapsman (45ccs, I think) a Stihl 029, currently have a small Echo and a John Deere (Efco) CS-52.

Not much experience there, but based on that, the JD is smooooth. The others are/were NOT.

If I was buying new and leaving stock. It would have to be the Dolmar 5100S. But being I have a Poulan 305 in that class that runs like a champ in that size, just not as much rpm's as the dolmar. I ran them back to back, so yes I know what they cut like. I cant justify the purchase of a new one. I have a Partner 5000 plus and a Partner 500 on the way that is in the 50cc and under class too. So should be able to tell more later. But NEW and stock Dolmar 5100S, hands down. CORRECTION: Seen them going for $345-$389.
My local dealer this spring was $369 for 16" b+c, $389 for 18" b+c, and so on.

Last edited:
Husky or Dolmar.I haven't yet run a 5100 but Dolmar' older 50cc saws were quite smooth. The 346XP isn't 50ccs-but it still belongs in the class and is absolutely marvelous. Husqvarna's other 50cc classs saws cover a wide price and service range but they are all pretty decent performers.

This one has to go to the Dolmar 5100. It's just a little out in front of some of those older designs. Most guys just say "wow" when they run it for the first time.

Latest posts

Back