Helping a family choose another saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I’ll try make this not a typical ‘which saw to buy’ thread. A little background. I have some good friends, 2 brothers and their mom and dad, who want to go in together to buy a new saw. They cut mostly Oak for firewood. They currently use a Stihl 290 with a 20” bar (yes, I’ve recommended for them to put on a 18” bar max. on it…if it were me, a 16” bar). They cut only when they absolutely have to...don't know how many cords a year. Their saw maintenance habits are minimal, if at all (not cleaning air filter and so on). Your basic saw owner. Money is tight for them. Dealerships that are fairly close are Stihl and Husqvarna (and Echo). I feel that a new saw with a warranty would be best for them, rather than used. Besides, used saws are scarce around here, and I don’t think they should go the pawn shop way. Their budget is $600 MAX OTD (out the door), $200 from each son and $200 from mom and dad. They want something that will pull a 20” bar properly in Oak (and obviously bigger than the 290). Stihl is their first choice (familiar brand, good ‘local’ dealer), and Husqvarna is number 2 choice. From DSRP pricing at the Stihl website the 390 with 20” bar would work at $470. The 361 would be better I know…but for the price at $610 before tax. From MSRP pricing at the Husky website, the 357XP with 20” bar might work…but for the price at $710. I saw the 570, but it sounds kinda chunky as in weight for the power (and my friends would like a saw that would be a little lighter than the 290…if possible) and the price shown was $690. I realize that actual per dealer pricing will be different, but the prices I saw give me a pretty good idea…and the fact that taxes would be added. So as it sits, for them, in my opinion, it looks like the Stihl 390 would fit the bill (I know...same weight as 290). I’ve recommended dealer visits to them also. They saw a Husky model (460 or 570) with what they thought was a longer bar than 20” bar for about $540 (before tax) at Atwoods. I’m trying to steer them to a servicing dealer. I know there are the Dolmars/Makitas, Jonsereds and other brands…but these 2 brands (Stihl and Husky) is what they’re concerned with.

So…Did I miss anything? Any comments and/or suggestions?

Kevin

If your stuck on stihl or Husky for stihl the 361 for Husky the 359 but if they could get a Dolmar/Makita 6400 it will have more power than either of the above mentioned and probably be a little cheaper the Makita should probably be about 500 new. There is one in the trading post right now for about 200 dollars.

Tough call. I know it is outside the stihl/husky category but the Makita dcs-6401 is the best buy on the market. These things are built like a bank vault and used by home despot as rentals. Anything that can survive in a HD rental fleets sounds like it is the tool needed. Site sponsor Baileys sells them but I have seen them cheaper on Fleabay.

I just seen that there is also a 361 new for 450 which is really cheap for a new 361. Just go to the trading post on this site.

idea

buy the short 16" bar on a new ms 361 and swap the bars put the 20 on the bigger saw??:clap:
if they did go 390 then get a 18" bar and switch it with the 290s bar and chain:chainsaw:
:givebeer:
:cheers: :cheers:

I just seen that there is also a 361 new for 450 which is really cheap for a new 361. Just go to the trading post on this site.

+1, And if this is going to be a family saw, I HIGHLY suggest that you tell them to run Ultra or I forsee a short lifespan for whatever they buy.

If your stuck on stihl or Husky for stihl the 361 for Husky the 359 but if they could get a Dolmar/Makita 6400 it will have more power than either of the above mentioned and probably be a little cheaper the Makita should probably be about 500 new. There is one in the trading post right now for about 200 dollars.

Tough call. I know it is outside the stihl/husky category but the Makita dcs-6401 is the best buy on the market. These things are built like a bank vault and used by home despot as rentals. Anything that can survive in a HD rental fleets sounds like it is the tool needed. Site sponsor Baileys sells them but I have seen them cheaper on Fleabay.

The 6401 was the Makita/Dolmar saw I had in mind for them...but like I said in my post...I feel a 'local' servicing dealer is needed.

Kevin

Sorry I could not be of more help. I am not familiar with any other saws that meet your specifications with the exception of the Dolmar 5100 and the Stihl ms361. The Dolmar has the same dealer problem as the Makita and the ms361 is difficult to recommend to someone with deep pockets, let alone someone who can barely afford it. Good luck with your search. Times are getting tough for a lot of people but we are all in this together and, hopefully, we are all pulling for each other.

For that kind of change, they should (and you can help them) be able to find a nice used 372xp or a stihl 044, 440 etc. after all, you're only talking about a 1/2hp difference in the 290 to 390, almost makes it not worth it, they've got the midrange covered, go bigger.

buy the short 16" bar on a new ms 361 and swap the bars put the 20 on the bigger saw??:clap:
if they did go 390 then get a 18" bar and switch it with the 290s bar and chain:chainsaw:
:givebeer:
:cheers: :cheers:

The 20" on the 290 is .325", .063". I think a 3/8", .050" bar and chain would be better for the bigger saw...and probably easier to get chain around here locally.

I might see if they want to buy my 16", .325", .063" bar and chains from my 260 and change to a 16", 3/8", .050" bar and change. We'll see what happens.

Kevin

For that kind of change, they should (and you can help them) be able to find a nice used 372xp or a stihl 044, 440 etc. after all, you're only talking about a 1/2hp difference in the 290 to 390, almost makes it not worth it, they've got the midrange covered, go bigger.

I've thought about that also...but the saw would have to be VERY nice, and in the right conditions, and right seller. Since this is for someone else (being my good friends) I would not want to disappoint them if they're trusting me to help them.

To add, as I have already mentioned, used saws period are hard to find around here...especially bigger ones (65cc-70cc and up).

Kevin

Last edited:
I've thought about that also...but the saw would have to be VERY nice, and in the right conditions, and right seller. Since this is for someone else (being my good friends) I would not want to disappoint them if they're trusting me to help them.

Kevin

Like I said; for that kind of money, and with your help, they should be able to fill that bill.

Given your stipulations, I would choose the 390.

However, I think one thing about your original post makes me think buying new might not be wise. You said they weren't big on maintenance, air filter cleaning etc. If they crap up the filter or run it wrong and burn it up, what are the chances of getting to use the new saw warranty? Unless the dealer is a good understanding one and they have a good relationship with them then I would give the warranty consideration much less weight. If warranty was not a consideration but local parts and service availability was I would try for a used 361 or used 390, would save enough to probably get several loops of chain and a pair of chaps to share.

I am not from the states but many people recomended John deer chainsaws lately at this site. The quality was suposed to be excellent for the price.
Although I believe the Makita 6401 is the best deal out there!

7sleeper

What's the status on the MS-290, would it be worth an aftermarket 390 P&C when Bailey's finally gets them in stock, maybe with a muffler mod?
(they do wear hearing protection, don't they?)
Do you want to get involved with working on their saw, or would helping them upgrade it leave you on the hook for the rest of your life?

I'm not a fan of the 310 and 390 if you're paying list prices. For a slightly larger piston making slightly more power, you pay a lot more money, despite everything else on the saw being exactly the same.

I am not from the states but many people recomended John deer chainsaws lately at this site. The quality was suposed to be excellent for the price.

That's because there was about a 40% price drop in the JD saws when they were discontinued. If I had my choice between a $580 CS62 and a $610 MS361, I'd have to take the 361, but if the price of the CS62 were lowered to $360... (does the idea of a 61.5cc Efco for 270 euros make you jealous?)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back