046 problem,,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimL

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I decided to buy a 046, being it was the last "046" we would get, rest 460's

I don't like the saw to begin with, not an 066 :D

anyway I decided to cut some firewood this weekend, I used it a while, then it started running funny, sucking air. and one of the muffler bolts came loose and was rattling around.

So i took it apart today. 3 of the bolt heads that hold the jug on were broken off, and the other was loose.
I replaced the gasket and put it back together, runs fine now.

Anyone seen this? saw had 3 tanks idles through it and 1 tank cutting.

I have nothing but good things to say about my 046. I have also ran many ms460's and like them also ( same saw, just different #) I don't believe that your problem is a cronic one with that model. Sounds like a pisspoor rebuild to me or was the saw new?

Another F'd Up Stihl out of the box hard to believe! This is just a sign of more to come from a struggling manufacture.

one saw out of 23 046's we sold last year.
thats pretty good if ya ask me.

What!

I just got an 046 and was searching for topics to read about it, when I read your comment about 1 out of 23 was OK. I about crapped. If you think that 4.34% of a product being sold to the public turing out to be crap is OK, you are sadly mistaken. I hope that this is really like 1 out of 200,000 sold or something great like that. I have high hopes for this saw. I hope you have better success than that with your customers saws.

I ran my ms460 for the first time this weekend. Ran 'bout 3 tanks through it and I can't wait for full break in. I'll be sure to watch for loose parts too!

I have worn out 2 bars for my 460 since october and haven't had the first problem out of it. if I had the $$$ right now I would pick that one up from Dennis!!!:rolleyes:

I put a couple tanks of fuel through this 460 I have and it seems pretty good and strong....its no Jonsered 2171 though...:D

JimL...is it possible that one of the mechanics ws robbing some parts from the unit at one time or another and forgot to tighten the bolts??? Sounds more feasible than that loose of QC on Stihls part.

My 460 for no reason at all will start bogging and stall restart it and it runs fine for a while and then does it again. I changed the little breather on the gas tank because it seemed like it would vapor lock or something. Yesterday it did it four times while bucking a picker load of logs. but I learned how to deal with it put it back in the truck and get out the 66 or the 84:D

Head to your dealer, they had a recall on the intake boots, your simptoms sound just like the recall.

Latest posts

Back