084 Differences and Info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up a brand new OEM P&C for the 066 for $115. Can't pass up a deal like that! Cbailey's got them and has several more. Get them while you can. He's a great guy to deal with. He sold me my 361 and the P&C that's on it.

If this isn't a roller coaster, then I don't know what is. Curt just emailed me sincerely appologizing that the listing was incorrect and is not OEM. Too good to be true. He's going to refund my PayPal.

BISNELLING - You get A for effort.

I tried to drive several hours today and pick them up, but he was out of town working. Must suck to have to work on Saturday. I'm sure I'll get them soon enough. He's giving me a great deal.

Your cracking us/me up. :D :cheers:

Q. How much of the 84 do you have? Know you've been offered some parts.
Know you've bought some.

Q. Wonder what the Aftermarket cyl/piston would be like if cleaned off and coated.
Ceramic piston tops .Heat resistant coating under piston. ?????

Q. Are the AM jugs ,generally,Nikilsil plated ?
( AMkt CYL/PIS MIGHT STIHL BE A VIABLE OPTION !! ?)

Have you tried the Chainsawguy .AS member -Chainsawguy
ebay CA -thechainsawguy / Dave.

Nice guy ,running a business , often helpfull for 084 parts.

Last edited:
If this isn't a roller coaster, then I don't know what is. Curt just emailed me sincerely appologizing that the listing was incorrect and is not OEM. Too good to be true. He's going to refund my PayPal.

Curt is great person to deal with and honest to boot. Hard to beat that in this day and age.
Curt just sent me a carb I wanted from a saw that was about 30 years old and knocked off $10 off the total price for helping him finding a donor coil by cross referencing other poulan saws for a customers saw he was working on.
Cant beat that in my book. :clap:

Curt is great person to deal with and honest to boot. Hard to beat that in this day and age.
Curt just sent me a carb I wanted from a saw that was about 30 years old and knocked off $10 off the total price for helping him finding a donor coil by cross referencing other poulan saws for a customers saw he was working on.
Cant beat that in my book. :clap:

+ 1 Thorough gentleman.

My refund was promptly given. Curt deserves any business you can give him. A real standup guy.

I just paid for the 066 RL and the two 084s. One 084 is clearly a parts saw needing crank bearings, P&C, flywheel/coil, among other parts. The other two are only missing P&Cs. I should have them in my posession by the middle of the week. I also bought the new 084 case and tank. All said and done, I should end up with two, maybe three, 084s. It just depends on the condition of and all the parts missing on the parts saw.

I have a lead on one 084 cylinder. I'll need another if you have one you're willing to sell. Also, is it OEM or nothing for a piston? Or is there a brand you would have confidence in? What about rings? I haven't priced a new Stihl piston or rings yet, but aftermarket is around $30 for a piston kit. This is certainly not a part to skimp on though.

Last stihl piston kit comes with rings for a 084-880 last year priced was somewhere between $110-$120 at 3 different dealers.

Would you be comfortable with an aftermarket piston in a OEM cylinder?

not in the 084, maybe in other saws, but that big beast spinning a good amount of rpm makes a ton of stress on parts. There is a reason there are metal heat rings in the top of the stihl 084 pistons.

You could try, but I wouldn't want the risk of one coming apart and ruining a good jug. I already had one come apart in an 066 and refuse to run aftermarket stuff in my saws.

Last edited:
Ya Brad, some pictures would be great. Good to hear that you are finding saws to buy easy enough. Parts are always the problem though. I saw you bidding on a 066 cylinder. Did you get it? I had a 180c and a jonsered ending tonight and just happened to take a look at that cylinder. I have to stop looking at this thread, 084's/066's are looking more appealing everyday.:dizzy:

Would you be comfortable with an aftermarket piston in a OEM cylinder?

A stock saw I wouldn't have a problem with it being AM.
But woods ported or race saw I would feel safer with OEM or made to order by someone that knows what they are doing. JMO

Nope he got sniped at the end.

Now that sucks. I got busy with the family and missed the end of the auction. Back to the hunt I guess. I've got some pics for you guys. This thread may get long. I'm looking at completing/building three saws here.

066 Red Light. Needs a P&C. Please let me know if you know of a good stock one.
240613712-M.jpg

240613708-M.jpg

The only problem with the saw is the upper bolt hole for the inner spike is broken out of the case. I'm thinging I might be able to drill and tap a couple screws into the case, cut the ends off, then cast JB Weld around them for a solid fix. When coupled with a dual spike on the bar cover, I would think it would hold.
240613667-M.jpg

Latest posts

Back