2172 vs 2188 is it worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateleeWi

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just what it says. Will I really see the difference. ? I cut quite a bit of firewood from pile and felling normal size wood in Wisconsin. Mostly pine maple and oak. Is it worth the extra money for the biggest Jon I can find or go with the smaller saw and buy a grinder or some other toys. ???

I wanted a 2172/372 and couldn't find one so I picked up a clean 2186 which is the same saw as 2188 with a few cc's less. I've cut some with 044 and 372 and wouldn't go back to them after using the bigger saw, unless you are doing a lot of limbing with this saw and in that case the extra weight gets old in a hurry.

Watch the classifieds on here. Mastermind has (or maybe had at this point) a 394 for $750 or you can find stock 85-90 cc saws in the $550-700 range.

Moody had a lot of problems actually completing the work and returning saws. I can't say that I remember anybody being happy or unhappy with the actual work he completed. I am sure there are probably threads somewhere that go into that.

Am I off track to say a ported 2172 and a stock 2188 are about the same money. If this is true than I believe the op would enjoy a ported 2172 over a stock 2188. And then if he would get a ported 7910 it would be over. Lmao. Good luck with choosing between them 2 saws. :)

Am I off track to say a ported 2172 and a stock 2188 are about the same money. If this is true than I believe the op would enjoy a ported 2172 over a stock 2188. And then if he would get a ported 7910 it would be over. Lmao. Good luck with choosing between them 2 saws. :)
Depends on what you are seeing the ported priced 2172's at. Everyone wanted gold prices for the 70 cc saws when I was shopping and a decent 461 was worth gold plus your firstborn LOL.

what size wood do you cut? it's not uncommon to see guys here run 20" bars on 90cc saws and that is just silly hardwood or not. 28" IMO is the minimum bar length to justify 90cc and even then the 70cc saws do it well. i personally would run 70cc right up to 30" before i switched to a 90cc saw. if your not gonna be running longer then 28" don't waste your time and get a 70cc. much more versatile. for firewood i might even suggest you just get a 365. even they run a 28" no problem. there are alot of of firewood hacks in the world cutting lots of wood every year with an MS250 lol

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm not100% sure on the port and miller your right they would cost about the same. And I think I would rather have a 70cc ported but yes I would love 7910 that would be nice. Right now I'm cutting with a 24 in ( I'm about 6'5 so like longer bars, less stress on back. but have a power match bar its kinda heavy and weighs down the front. Looking at a Sugi. And maybe moving up to 28. At the max. I cut all different sizes. Kinda looking for an all around saw that I can clear land. Cut firewood and get the big ones if need be.

Wife won't let me buy every saw I see even if I say I could use it. So want biggest bang for my buck without getting crazy expensive and flat out too big

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm not100% sure on the port and miller your right they would cost about the same. And I think I would rather have a 70cc ported but yes I would love 7910 that would be nice. Right now I'm cutting with a 24 in ( I'm about 6'5 so like longer bars, less stress on back. but have a power match bar its kinda heavy and weighs down the front. Looking at a Sugi. And maybe moving up to 28. At the max. I cut all different sizes. Kinda looking for an all around saw that I can clear land. Cut firewood and get the big ones if need be.
I just sent you a pm (conversation)

Hmm. 28" bar good all around. You just described this saw. And i know someone that sells them. Lmao. Had to make ya druel!20151109_170741.jpg

Back