30's to 40's CC saw for bucking and small stuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like my 435- performs well above what I expected. I run 16" Total/Tsumura with .325 RC. No mods and about 8-10 tanks of fuel through it.

Bill

forgot to mention i stopped by local Stihl dealer today and checked out the 250, 211 and 171.
171 seems to small
211 think its about right.
250 smaller yes but to close to 290 IMO...

Think its time to fish... any thoughts on a stihl 015 009 or husky 235?

That's what I meant its not enough difference from the 290 imo

just did a search and realized there is a Dolmar dealer mot to far from me.
any thoughts on the PS-351. I think some one mentioned the 421 as well...
p.s. no love for the olympyk 234? feel like my pops was the only person to own one.

Oh and my local stihl dealer said he hadn't heard of olympyk:jawdrop:
i know they are old and have been bought out but jesus i figured a dealer would have heard of them... luckily he's the guy behind the counter and not the tech in the back...

Dolmar PS-421 and 351 are basically the same saw just one is 42cc, the other 35cc. Weight is the same so depending on the money, I'd suggest staying with the 421.

Both are pro-quality construction and both have the easy start feature which is nice. IMHO you would be really happy with one of those. :msp_smile:

...Well, supposedly there's been only two tankfuls gone through this 44/346OE P/C Husqvarna to date...
Anyway, here's the vid of Bobby letting me enjoy "my" new saw vicariously:
[video=facebook;3451160165113]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3451160165113[/video]

Sorry, I lied. It's a stock 44 cylinder that had been straight gassed. Durant told Bobby it cleaned up nice. I stuck the video back in, 'cuz I don't see how you could go wrong. Listen to it!!

I really like my 435- performs well above what I expected. I run 16" Total/Tsumura with .325 RC. No mods and about 8-10 tanks of fuel through it.

Bill
I totally agree. A friend of mine who has a firewood business has one for a backup saw. Really surprised me that such a light saw has that kind of power. A refurbished one would be a great deal IMHO!

Sorry, I lied. It's a stock 44 cylinder that had been straight gassed. Durant told Bobby it cleaned up nice. I stuck the video back in, 'cuz I don't see how you could go wrong. Listen to it!!

whats the specs of the 44?

I would go with the dolmar 420 my dealer said it runs $309 and the 350 runs $289 but like they said they way the same can get the same size bars so if you can swing the 420 thats what I would do I think I am going to pick one up myself for a lighter saw and back up saw I have a 510 dolmar now an love it it weigh 2lbs more than the 420 but very well balanced and cuts great

Everyone raves about the Dolmar 420. 42cc saw that cuts close to a 50cc saw, so I hear.

If I was you, I would probably look into that saw right quick.

44cc, and its quite heavy for what it is TBH. Thats all about I know.... Its a great little bulletproof saw though. It kind of alarming how much power it has. I've almost never actually bogged it out in a big cut before.

Last edited:

I'm not really sure on the exact specs for my saw because it's not exactly stock but it's 42mm about 10 lbs and probably about 3.5 HP. But you really have to run one to appreciate it. It's one amazing machine. A true Mighty Mouse. Essentially an OE 346 in a more compact package. It's the father of todays 346. Komatsuvarna, who I got it from, said it will run right on the heels of his 346. Ask Shep ( NCFarmboy) he's got 8 of them. There's a few on ebay right now and you better get on it if you're interested cuz I might try and snag one. My wife is capturing mine. Or at least trying! :msp_biggrin:

I'm not really sure on the exact specs for my saw because it's not exactly stock but it's 42mm about 10 lbs and probably about 3.5 HP. But you really have to run one to appreciate it. It's one amazing machine. A true Mighty Mouse. Essentially an OE 346 in a more compact package. It's the father of todays 346. Komatsuvarna, who I got it from, said it will run right on the heels of his 346. Ask Shep ( NCFarmboy) he's got 8 of them. There's a few on ebay right now and you better get on it if you're interested cuz I might try and snag one. My wife is capturing mine. Or at least trying! :msp_biggrin:

Oh, so when you said you got it for me, that was what.....A BIG FAT LIE????

I was researching this class of saw earlier this year and the MS200 is the unquestioned leader, but too rich for my occasional trail and limbing use. I went with a Husky 435 refurb $142, 41cc and their lightest occasional use rear handle saw. Here's a link to the refurb: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/191023.htm

You'll need to add $7 if you need to tune it, requires a special splined socket driver.

Last Monday I took the 435 out for some trail clearing work, had to carry it 3/4-mile to this deadfall.

Before.jpg

Forty-five minutes later:

After.jpg

Most of that time was spent pitching limbs and rocks.

You can see from the photos, suitable for bucking and limbing.

Good luck on your quest.

just checked this out... there going for 169 i believe. I received my gasket kits... If the olympyk doesnt pan out i think this is the winner...
seems on paper comparable to the ms211 and almost as light as the ms170 (more CC's obviously).... should ahve it all figured out by the end of the weekend. Appreciate all the help and advice. hope u guys had some fun!

I was researching this class of saw earlier this year and the MS200 is the unquestioned leader, but too rich for my occasional trail and limbing use. I went with a Husky 435 refurb $142, 41cc and their lightest occasional use rear handle saw. Here's a link to the refurb: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/191023.htm

You'll need to add $7 if you need to tune it, requires a special splined socket driver.

Last Monday I took the 435 out for some trail clearing work, had to carry it 3/4-mile to this deadfall.

Before.jpg

Forty-five minutes later:

After.jpg

Most of that time was spent pitching limbs and rocks.

You can see from the photos, suitable for bucking and limbing.

Good luck on your quest.

One question...
I see the Husky 435 uses a Zama Carb
Does the Stihl use a Walbro?
Is a Walbro better than a Zama?
ookay that was 2 questions... :cool2:

Latest posts

Back