390xp versus 395xp in depth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking at those two but not for milling. I use a cobbled together 660 for that. If you have the 395 in a Grandberg mill can you adjust your chain while still clamped in the mill? Just saying, you might want to find that out. Adjusting the chain on a long bar while still clamped in the mill is very convenient with a side adjustment. As for my quest for either 390 or 395 I ended up with a Dolmar 7900 for a deal that was $300 less. Still want the 390 though. I also want a 372. But if you are going to mill anything hardwood over 24”, and do so more than a few times, get the biggest monster possible like 3120 or 880.

The 395xp is built like a true 100cc saw like the 2101xp it replaced. Everything on it is bigger and stronger than the 390xp. As Bradley stated the 390xp is a bit like an oversized 372 which is not a bad thing at all, it depends what you want out of either saw that should sway your decision. The spec sheet is a poor way of understanding these two saws, strip them down on a bench & the picture becomes clear. I know that's not possible but doing some searches will show pictures of parts compared and help you. The 395 sitting next to a 390 is a much bigger saw, the specs show 5cc's of difference and a weight difference but there is a lot more too it.

I run both typically when cutting depending on what we’re in, I will say a 395 is smoother on the hands and will pull a long bar very well.
Here’s a 395 pulling a 36” bar with a semi skip chain 8 pin sprocket it’s the first cut of the day so the chain is a little grabby still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paid for the saw today... hopefully it is in by tomorrow, now the question is which one did I buy?
Any guessers?

I run both typically when cutting depending on what we’re in, I will say a 395 is smoother on the hands and will pull a long bar very well.
Here’s a 395 pulling a 36” bar with a semi skip chain 8 pin sprocket it’s the first cut of the day so the chain is a little grabby still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeans, nice work man. Loved the video. Suspenseful as that ol girl didn’t want to commit to leaving her stump After all those years. 5 out of 5 stars on awesomeness.

Latest posts

Back