60-70cc Stihl,Husky, or Dolmar???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F.W.P.T

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got the ok to grab a new saw. Been researching and reading for a while. Found decent Stihl, Husky, and Dolmar dealers within a 20 min drive from where I live. Already have an awesome limbing saw(42special ported of course). Looking for something in the 60-70cc range for felling and bucking a couple dozen trees each yr. Pro saws only and be able to handle a 24" b&c but mostly run a 20" b&c. After it gets a few scratches and battle wounds and the new saw scent wears off, it will get ported for the smile and fun factor:rock:! I'm looking for the "Goldie Locks" saw. Not too heavy, Not too slow, and Not too thirsty(even after porting). Sounds like I'm describing a 562xp but I'm not a big fan of newer technology that really hasn't been around for too long.

I need your help to decide what to buy for a decent felling/bucking saw.:msp_confused:

I just got a stihl ms 362 and it served me well. I ran a few tank fulls thew it and it has fairly good economy. I haven't ported it and probably won't. Plenty of power for the 20 in b&c that I'm running. I don't know what your budget is bit I spent just under 700.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

My choice would be the 562xp. I bought one a year ago and it's been flawless. It is by far the most impressive stock saw I've ever run! I'll be selling my larger saw soon.

New saw?

Best thing out there for the buck is the 562.

Think Spike has good prices?

The (off rental) 6400s at Home Depot are the best deal going (if you can get one?)

~ $400 for a running 5 cube class saw.

Anyone think the new 461s are stronger?

Well I do have to say it's nice to finally see someone looking into Dolmar right out of the gate instead of just stihl or husky.

All three have great saws but when I was looking I actually only needed a 60cc but wanted room to upgrade later. Nobody but Dolmar has that! You can get a 6400 Dolmar or even a 6401/6421 Makita (same saw) and have 64cc to start. Plenty of power for 20-24in bars. Heck I even ran a 30in on my 6401 before upgrading it. Once you get used to it, you can drop a 84cc BBK or a 79cc OEM top end on and make it scream. The 6400-7900 are super reliable and have a Cadilac/Lexus antivibe system on them. Makes them smooth and powerful. Ergonomics and handling are also supurb! They aren't the newest saw with a computer brain, but then again you can also fix everything easily yourself! These saws also have an OEM HD filter system you can put on later if you put a bigger piston and cylinder on. Oh and putting a bigger top end on takes about 1-2 hours depending on experiance. Every guy I have sold a 6400/7900 series to has loved them to death as seasonal fire wood cutters. I even have a couple 7900's being run by Tree Services, and keep in mind Home Depot uses these for rental saws (so they do get picked as saws that can take abuse).

There is only 2 real downsides:
1.) As a 64cc saw the 6400 is a little heavier than other 60cc saws. So your power to weight is a little lower than the best pro saws but it's not nearly the worst either.
2.) Dealer support and parts are a little spotty in some areas but this shouldn't concern you since you have a dealer down the road and you have us... Plus online parts are only a couple clicks away. My stihl dealer takes just as long on parts as I do ordering Dolmar parts online...

Husky 372xp would be my choice, although I don't own one I have run them. Plenty happy
with my 266xp and 390xpw.

Just a thought - see what you might get from one of the builders on AS, already ported and in good working order at a decent price?

You bring up a good idea! Why didn't I think of that??

I have a 359 that has spanked two 262s:hmm3grin2orange:

I saw a 359 on cl for $300 with a case only a coulpe tanks through it. Had a green gas cap on it. Wouldn't that mean cat muff?? more trouble to open up????

You bring up a good idea! Why didn't I think of that??

I saw a 359 on cl for $300 with a case only a coulpe tanks through it. Had a green gas cap on it. Wouldn't that mean cat muff?? more trouble to open up????

Easy to just put a regular muffler on it. That's a good price!

No cat muff is quite choked up.

Has a 10mm "straw" it's got to try to exhale from.

Them 359s like to breath!

I would suggest a MS440 while they can still be purchased or Husky 372xp. If you buy one of these you may not feel the need to have it ported, or if you do, it will put a bigger smile on your face.:hmm3grin2orange:

I paid $200 for my old 359, then found it needed a top end. Paid $75 for a used one, new ring,
a mild port job and MM. I loaned it to my brother who's a logger and I Can Not Get it Back!!! He loves that saw!

I paid $200 for my old 359, then found it needed a top end. Paid $75 for a used one, new ring,
a mild port job and MM. I loaned it to my brother who's a logger and I Can Not Get it Back!!! He loves that saw!

I paid $439 to me door.

Good 20" bar, 3 chains, a t shairt and a hat!

Some dealers still have them. Grab you a ms 440 if you don't want new technology. It's been around forever. I have a ms 362 to and it makes me happy.

Go Husky or go home :yoyo:

No, seriously , since you have 3 prospective dealers nearby , check them all out . Run their demo saws , and go with the dealer/brand that gives you the biggest warm and fuzzy feeling inside . :chainsaw:

Back