Any actual problems with Amsoil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can testify that Fishoil 2005 is good stuff. I bought a case and it's really good oil. Amazingly it looks, smells and tastes just like water, but I know it's good because of the 112.5 to 1 mixing reccommnedation, the highest of any oil.
Every tool I've put it in so far has seized up, but that's something I'm doing wrong for sure.

Hey Fish! I love your fishoil 2005. Will it hurt if I mix up and run it at 113-1? Also, would you consider changing the dye color from this pale pink? It looks a bit gay.

Mike Maas said:
sold through MLM pyramid

MLMs are legal in all 50 states. Pyramids are ILLegal in all 50 states. How can that be?

Maybe it's because MLMs aren't pyramids?

Well, why do they look the same?

Ever wonder why nobody counterfeits $18 dollar bills?

NWCS said:
hey bto, why do you run 80:1? and why did you continue after one saw self destructed because of it? i am truly curious of this, not poking at you. 80:1 is not enough no matter what brand name that oil bottle has on it. most modern outboards with oil injection run lean at idle, but at WOT they pump more oil to keep up with the load and RPM. saws dont have this so the 50:1 is an all around compensation for that.

Im not sure if it was the oil that caused it I asked a few mechanics and they couldnt tell me either perhaps the carburator was set to lean or dirt in the fuel, factory blem I dont know. Amsoils 100:1 premix is for saws and trimmers ect thats 8oz per 6 gal or for 80:1 8 oz/5 gal 100:1 is way to lean so i run 80:1. The reason is that you can run Ams leaner casue its pure oil there are no impurities in it unlike regular 2 stroke oil is only about half oil the rest is fillers and attitives to burn off all the impurites that arnt refined out of the oil and thats were you get carbon build up ect. Since amsoil is pure oil theres no attitives to burn off impurities so they dont have to mix it rich to get the protection. Im no expert but i have read up on the stuff and thats what they claim.
They have reformulated all their 2 stroke stuff they have 4 specific oils for different applications outboards, snowmobiles and jetskis, chainsaws and stringtrimmers and racing oil. If I feel the need I can premix at 50:1 aswell

BlueRidgeMark said:
MLMs are legal in all 50 states. Pyramids are ILLegal in all 50 states. How can that be?

Maybe it's because MLMs aren't pyramids?

Well, why do they look the same?

Why do they constantly reformulate their stuff? So when folks have problems they can say, "That's the old formulation, the new Fishoil is improved!"

MLMs are not pyramids, but the marketing scam appears to be one, just the same.

Yes, my engineers have assured me that any complaints were due to something the consumer did incorrectly, as they are all stupid, because they are not, well, engineers!

Of course you will have problems unless you use my Fishgas 2003 Aviation fuel,
{or equivalent}, with at least 112 octane, lead additives, and a dash of Vermouth.

Those Amsoil creeps are cute at the Expo, scurrying about like Hari Krishnas at the airport, and their booth has a certain carnival/snake oil sales flair to it. Most of those
guys are probably ex-Slick50 sales reps.

fish, are you trying to move in on my oil sales?
NWCS BoomFast! is the latest in high tech oils!
also try my new NWCS SlickFast! bar oils!
both oils transform metal to metal contact areas into hyperaccelerated warp drive surfaces. just using BoomFast! turns your saws piston engine into a proton fired optical warp drive!
SlickFast instantly triples your chain speeds for some intense fun!

fine print:
all claims are untested and unbacked, this stuff will probly destroy your saws and get you really really pissed! avoid at all costs! no warranties implied or given. use at your own risk.

Obviously you have not been introduced to my "Fisherized Eager Beaver" with my
patented "Maglev Bar/Chain System"!!!!!!!
Do a search on this site, you will find that everyone here agrees that it is the
BEST!!!!
Girls gone wild infomercials are on right now, or I would elaborate further.

hey fish.. how about a little race at Dean's GTG? your Fisherized Eager Beaver against my Bastidized 288? saw for saw and no rules on mods or fuel :)
consider it a race for slips. saw for saw :laugh:

you would probly have to make a stop in seattle or tacoma for that Fish.
but.. why? :confused:

I have tested Amsoil 100:1 and have tore to sled engines down that where ran on HPI and Dominator. In all three cases I was underwelmed. In all cases the engines where dirtier than the should have been. I also fail to see the advatage to use LESS lubricant.
The majority of the people that peddle the stuff are also clueless nimrods, which is a real turn off.

The mix ratio that was used on 2 of the saws was at 50:1. At first I assumed it was because they were not mixing it at the 100:1 ratio. I later tore down a saw that was ran at 75:1 and the same problem; stuck rings. the only saw I have torn down that used 100:1 mix amsoil was siezed. Now mayby this is not enough scientific information to base my conclusions on but I will stay with those oils that haved worked for me.

klickitatsacket said:
Now mayby this is not enough scientific information to base my conclusions on but I will stay with those oils that haved worked for me.

That is what it all boils down to. Use the oil and the mix ratio that "works for you". Everyone has different needs and expectations of their oils so there is never a blanket one oil/mix that fits all, or that works for everyone.

Mike Maas said:
MLMs are not pyramids, but the marketing scam appears to be one, just the same.

BlueRidgeMark said:

Do you avoid $20 dollar bills because fake ones exist?

I'm not impressed with Amsoil, and I have no desire to be part of any MLM, but the fact is, if you compare MLMs with conventional small businesses, they have a much higher success rate. 95% of new small businesses are OUT of business in 5 years. Inc. magazine did some research and found that of people who made a serious effort for 5 years in an MLM, 10% were making serious money. I forget exactly what they called "serious money" but I think it was in the $100k range. Compare that with buying a pizza franchise, where you plunk down the $100k to buy yourself a minimum wage job! (After you figure what you are making and the time you are putting in.)

From the comments made on its performance, sounds like Amsoil maybe STILL has some quality control problems!

Based on what I am seeing on this and a parallel thread http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=26847
this is way to passionate of a subject for me and way to inconsistent with the results and experience between different users, though very interesting - certain people that is. Too bad it is always the same few folks answering up, would be nice if some others got into the mix, I know there is more experiences than this out there - somewhere. My own experience with Amsoil has been great - but only with the outboards, not enough time with the air-cooled engines to have an opinion yet, Thanks to those who gave their 2cents.

Again, why would you push the envelope on oil mixture. You should go with the richest mixture you can get away with, not the leanest! No advantage to a lean oil mixture.

Back