Any actual problems with Amsoil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, why would you push the envelope on oil mixture. You should go with the richest mixture you can get away with, not the leanest! No advantage to a lean oil mixture.
Exactly. You dont see people bragging about switching their trucks sump from a 5 to a 2 quart model.

clyde said:
Again, why would you push the envelope on oil mixture. You should go with the richest mixture you can get away with, not the leanest! No advantage to a lean oil mixture.

The moter runs better if it is cleaner as long as there is sufficient lubrication. Smoother running, faster acceleration, less smoke, less carbon build up, less spark plug fouling, are advantages in many people's book.

The moter runs better if it is cleaner as long as there is sufficient lubrication. Smoother running, faster acceleration, less smoke, less carbon build up, less spark plug fouling, are advantages in many people's book.
Thats the fallacy of Amsoil as none of these properties are universally better with less oil. I have tested Amsoil 100:1 and it actually produced more deposits than MX2T at 32:1.

bwalker said:
Exactly. You dont see people bragging about switching their trucks sump from a 5 to a 2 quart model.

That is comparing apples to oranges. (2 cycle and 4 cycle engines) Oil uses and needs are different.
In fact, companies like Amsoil are pushing for larger filters for four cycle applications. Larger filters and filter systems = more filtration capacity and more oil for cars and trucks.

bwalker said:
Thats the fallacy of Amsoil as none of these properties are universally better with less oil. I have tested Amsoil 100:1 and it actually produced more deposits than MX2T at 32:1.

Was that tested by you, or an independant lab that has no biases one way or the other?

I've never used Amsoil(never going to, either), but I will chime in about MX2T: NO smoke, NO deposits, and NO sparkplug fouling, all at 32:1. My equipment has never run so clean.

bwalker said:
BY myself. I have no bias since I stand to make no profit by the sale of any products as I am not a marketer of oil in any form.

Everyone is biased in one way or another. Otherwise we all would be driving the same model truck to work and would be all using the same make and size saws with the same oil mixed at the same ratio ect. Nor would we be having this discussion.

2Coilinveins said:
I've never used Amsoil(never going to, either), but I will chime in about MX2T: NO smoke, NO deposits, and NO sparkplug fouling, all at 32:1. My equipment has never run so clean.

It is good you have found something that works for you.

Everyone is biased in one way or another. Otherwise we all would be driving the same model truck to work and would be all using the same make and size saws with the same oil mixed at the same ratio ect. Nor would we be having this discussion.
I wouldnt call that bias. I would call it doing research and buying the product that performs best for your needs.
I have done the research and event tested Amsoil. It was mediocre at best.
BTW are you a amsoil user or salesman?

Luckycutter, I'm glad Amsoil(or whatever) works for you too. I was pointing out that a high quality two stroke oil can have all the benefits you mentioned at a sane mix ratio.

bwalker said:
I wouldnt call that bias. I would call it doing research and buying the product that performs best for your needs.
I have done the research and event tested Amsoil. It was mediocre at best.
BTW are you a amsoil user or salesman?

I started out as a skeptical user about 25 years ago. I was fully brainwashed into the, "you absolutely have to change the oil every 3-5000 miles, and the engine must be rebuilt every 100,000-125,000 miles (if the engine last that long)" Now I get rid of "dino" oil in everything I own and use predominatly Amsoil, which has never let me down. Amsoil used to(maybe still does) sell other home products that I consider junk, but I have reaped the benefits of the lubricants and will continue using them until one of my engines fail due to an oil related problem, or something significantly better comes along.

BTW, If you are a human being, you are biased. It comes with the territory. Scientist, and polititions can look at exactly the same data and argue different conclusions from the data. Take republicans and democrats: they could not agree on the color of poop.

2Coilinveins said:
Luckycutter, I'm glad Amsoil(or whatever) works for you too. I was pointing out that a high quality two stroke oil can have all the benefits you mentioned at a sane mix ratio.

The "universe revolves around the earth" used to be a sane idea. So much so that people were ostricized and even murdered for trying to prove otherwise. The earth is flat, was a sane idea. You should see the looks on mechanics faced when I tell them I change the oil in my cars once a year. The sane mix ratio is "Sane" because that is what we have been doing for a long time. It is comfortable for many and for the most part works. We are curious creatures by nature and are constantly looking for something "better", or the silver bullet. "After experimenting with different oils and mix ratios we may find that 40:1 is the absolute best. maybe some other ratio/oil that is yet untried or developed is the best. We will never know unless we keep an open mind and keep trying. Until the day comes and we all know everything there is to know, there is nothing wrong with finding and using what ever oil and mix ratio that works for you. Even if the perfect oil and ratio is found, there will always be people who will use something else as that is what they are comfortable using and there is nothing wrong with them exercising their right of choice. lastly, everyone uses their engines differently and thus creates many variables, so what oil/mix ratio that works for one may not work for the next guy.

2Coilinveins said:
LC-

Have you ever done a UOA?

I am not sure what an UOA is? If you are talking of an oil anaylasis the answer is no. None of my vehicles are worth it.

Yup, Used Oil Analysis was it. I'd be interested in seeing whether Amsoil is protecting you as well as you think on those yearly oil changes.

2Coilinveins said:
Yup, Used Oil Analysis was it. I'd be interested in seeing whether Amsoil is protecting you as well as you think on those yearly oil changes.

I have yet to get less than 300,000 miles on ANY of my vehicles,(my 1987 honda accord is closing in on 400,000) which is proof to me that yes, the oil is working. If you car to look up the value of a 13 year old accord with that milage you will understand why I would not bother with a used oil analysis.

Oh, I definitely know. Anything over 150k miles and a vehicle is pretty much considered dead by any valuation agency or insurance company. 400k on a Honda that isn't hot rodded and abused doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Same with a Toyota. No way in hell would I even consider EDI's without bypass filters and UOA's to backup that my oil is actually doing what it's supposed to do. If Amsoil and yearly oil changes work for your situation, more power to you. I very much doubt they would work for mine, and I certainly won't risk it.

Latest posts

Back