Been playing with a MS400C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your talking about the A/C on the vee dub get your eye balls on the cooling fans. If BOTH fans don't kick on with AC engaged you've got either a bad fan motor or bad fan control module. One will prevent the AC from engaging one will cause excessive pressures at idle, which over time creates problems in itself, IE off gassing. The blend doors also become problematic at this age. It's a Very simple straight forward system. I can get into it more in depth when you dig into it, if you'd like.

I was skeptical about this saw, because it's so close to a 462. After using a 661, my 462, and then down to the 400, the lighter weight was easy to feel. Throttle response is insanely quick, and power doesn't feel to be too far behind the 462 (at least for what we were doing).

Already have a Bark Box and Air Cleaner System from West Coast Saw on the way.

Price was $891 with the 20" Sugihara bar.

View attachment 907195
I have an Egan straight shot on mine 400 R and I grab that over my 462 LOL. and now that I had my other one ported by Tree Monkey, boy it is nice.

I have lots of trucks . The point was Toyota builds reliable stuff that's my take.!
I have owned every truck manufacturer & after 1990 as indicated previously the big 3 really have gone down hill . As for rust perforation , all vehicles suffer . The Japanese vehicles were terrible for yrs with their boxed frames . American made had shoddy rocker panel & box panels . Religious cleaning & rust proofing is all that will protect your investment up North here . I stand by my previous statement offshore vehicles are 100% more reliable than what we produce within NA . It's shameful !

If your talking about the A/C on the vee dub get your eye balls on the cooling fans. If BOTH fans don't kick on with AC engaged you've got either a bad fan motor or bad fan control module. One will prevent the AC from engaging one will cause excessive pressures at idle, which over time creates problems in itself, IE off gassing. The blend doors also become problematic at this age. It's a Very simple straight forward system. I can get into it more in depth when you dig into it, if you'd like.
Just was talking with the guy that has it. Said he had it at a shop and they said the compressor clutch wouldn't engage, but it had power to the clutch. He didn't want to foot the bill since he knew he wasn't keeping it long. Guess I'll pressure test the system first to make sure there are no leaks then go from there.

I didnt think so. But how about Diesel treatment in the cold weather? Yes right?
Definately , I have been using Power Services Diesel fuel conditioner for over 20 yrs . Prevents fuel slushing , filter icing & even bumps the cetone level a few points . In the 2500 & JD backhoe .

Leave it sit long enough and you will. I assure you.
Back when I was young and dumb (old and dumb now) saws would sit for months with mix in them. Never had any problems. Prolly the dreaded stihl 2 stroke oil kept them running. :crazy2:

I have owned every truck manufacturer & after 1990 as indicated previously the big 3 really have gone down hill . As for rust perforation , all vehicles suffer . The Japanese vehicles were terrible for yrs with their boxed frames . American made had shoddy rocker panel & box panels . Religious cleaning & rust proofing is all that will protect your investment up North here . I stand by my previous statement offshore vehicles are 100% more reliable than what we produce within NA . It's shameful !
Toyota Tundra is the only pickup truck not recommended by Consumer Reports

Ive heard of a lot of complaints with the new generation. They're reliability ratings have been on par with the big 3 before the redesign. Avg repair costs are generally higher tho, along with initial.
I saw it on the news a few weeks ago. They were talking about half ton pickups. So 50% of "offshore" pickups aren't recommended. :cool:

NYH1.

Latest posts

Back