best homelite ever?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My C-7 is in the 80cc class. The C-9 is a little larger close to 85cc.
My C-7 doesn't have as much raw power as my 925. It also doesn't
have the RPM's. What it does is have, for what ever reason; is the
ability to keep its lower RPM with the longer bars when I push on that
saw.

Hard to quantify...if I have a 22-24inch bar, the S-XL925 will out pull and
out cut in every situation. Period. When I get a 30 inch bar on both
saws the 925 cuts really fast but will stall the chain easier if I push.
The C-7 doesn't cut quite as fast when both are on the power band,
but when I really push OR things begin to pinch, its harder to stall the chain
& therefore ulltimatly easier to use on the bigger stuff. The other interesting
characteristic my C-7 has is its WAY easier to start and has very little
vibration.

The only Homelite my Dad ever owned was a Super EZ AO, and it was a great saw for us. For its light weight, it was a fantastic cutter and could handle its 16" bar very satisfactorily. The little I have used Super XL's has left me with a favorable impression of them also. I'm sure that Homelite was making all kinds of fine saws BEFORE they started making the plastic bodied models of the 70's.

I cut this whole sumer with an SXL 925 and loved it. It was a great saw, and defintely gets my vote.

Call me crazy but I really like the 150 auto. It looks so wierd but it just feels right in my hands.

Your C-7 Has a slightly smaller bore with a slightly longer stroke.
You can remove the governer, mod the muffler, and pick up ~600 rpm.

Longer stroke equates to low end power.

I'm waiting on a C-72 and will probably be sending negative feedback soon to the "dgauctionhouse" folks that refuse to communicate or send me my C-9. Though they have twice sent me an offer to purchase a warrantee?

The C-9 has the bore of a 925 and the stroke of a C-7. This is the saw I have always wanted
and seemingly may never have.:cry:

Retoocs555 I would like to thank you for the honesty you have displayed when selling saws.
It's a dam-shame ebug only lets you send one positive at a time. If you like the 150 I may have to get one.

Last edited:
Homelite XL-123 gets my vote

I bought my XL-123 new 30 years ago and never did a thing with it except replace coil 10 years ago and rebuild carb this year. I have a 20" bar on it and I have cut some 30+" timber in the Northwest. Mostly I have cut firewood. This is just an amazing saw and I would buy it again, regardless of the new technology. This saw is 3.5 cu. in. of reliable cutting power and capacity.

I just bought a used 372XP that I haven't received yet. I cannot wait to see if all the touting of this saw on these pages holds up with my future experience with it. I bought the 372 because lots of folks on this site seem to think it is a very good saw.

Hey Bugfart, there is a C-9 on ebay right now with 30inch bar.The seller says it needs a carb kit but is otherwise sound.

lotsa old saws,most running, some dirty

Thanks Hoss!

OMG - Dublin, Texas

No way I let this go.
First let me appologize to every single NY resident for the way I torture their stolen city names. It's not their fault the French turned out to suck.

Dublin? A name like that could attract terrorism like a magnet. "Sean, if you cut up one more bar of Irish Spring soap I'll blow up your garage"

I might be afraid to pull the starter cord.:blob2:

The C-9 has the same bore and stroke as the Super XL-925so it should be right up there with the best saw Homey ever made!

It's all yours. The darn thing probably already works. No fun. Now get me a saw that has been in the clutches of a Municipality and there's no telling where you end up. That's when I'm in my glory. I'll be putting out a very nice sxl925 next month.

Besides, I'm liking my theoretical Super C-9 and I don't expect immediate success.

You know, even if I luck out I'll have to go backwards to prove to myself it's the best I can do. I'm delving into the black arts with this one.

All I'm shooting for is one or two saws a month to list as final projects and sustain the hobby. I'm not looking to be a BG..ham sawhog. Besides, I've got a couple Pioneers I have not even touched. I made my big Christmas push for presents and thank-you happy holiday purchases.

If we could co-operate we would all win in that ebay game...should start a
email list and announce when a saw is REALLY interesting vs.wanta have...
maybe all end up better. for ex. I wanta have that Mac 660 but I REALLY
want that spur sprocket/drum!

Wann.jpg

Count me in I'm in hock trying to get clutchside covers and put and end to the madness.
I'd have been fine if some :censored: with ears aka dgauctionhouse aka Dale DeMott aka Grinch-turd [email protected] /email] didn't decide to collect the money and run on a bunch of people right before the holidays.

Nice guy huh?

[IMG]http://home.comcast.net/~1tinkingshawn/holycrap.jpg[/IMG]

Holy Crap! Now I'm buying clutch side covers averaging 75.00 a piece that happen to be attached to other saws. We don't even need wood any more we just huddle around the credit card i'ts so hot.

So now after a while how do you all feel?

My S-XL925 is still the best saw I own for all around work. Now it wears a 28inch bar and stays nice and clean...AND becuase this is about collecting it is retired for a while.

Now the grunt work for the year is being handled by "Franken Saw" a blend of parts from a C-7, C-5, C-71 with a Stihl spec .404 20 bar from Oregon.

The new main saw is a XL-903 I stuck together a couple of weeks ago. ITS actually NICER to use that the 925. Why? Its got this neet little compression release and its a ONE pull starter. A nice new Oregon Power Match 3/8 bar& chain...because its easier to use for day to day stuff...its the new No. 1 Saw around. here.

Last edited:
Super XL

I've only used a couple homeys, but the super XL was a great little saw. I've even got a battlescar from it. Good power, always ran reliably, just an overall good saw far as I'm concerned...

weimedog said:
The new main saw is a XL-903 I stuck together a couple of weeks ago. ITS actually NICER to use that the 925. Why? Its got this neet little compression release and its a ONE pull starter.

Yea, does anybody know why Homelite didn't have a compression release on the 925s? Was it a problem with the thin rings or ???? As hard as mine are to pull, I know it puts plenty of wear on the starter pawls and pulley.

Dan

From looking at different saws with a Decomp, I think you loose a lil compression due to the chamber where the valve sits.

Mine has 185lbs compression and starts 3rd pull cold. If it was a ten pull cold saw (like some of the newer ones) it would be an issue for me also.

I say just pull it like you mean it.

Back