Best less than 50cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTM

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I’m looking for a replacement saw for my father in law. He’s retiring his 028 super and needs something considerably lighter. Prefer professional saws. I thought of MS241 and noticed is no longer offered. So thinking of echo or husqvarna, 16” bar, micro chain, light, dependable, easy to start, blah blah.

I’m looking for a replacement saw for my father in law. He’s retiring his 028 super and needs something considerably lighter. Prefer professional saws. I thought of MS241 and noticed is no longer offered. So thinking of echo or husqvarna, 16” bar, micro chain, light, dependable, easy to start, blah blah.
Used MS 241, ask the guys on here.

It’s not as light, not new, and not as sexy as something from the Stihl or husky dealer, but my go to, tried and true, sub 50cc saw is just an older homelite super ez with a full wrap handle and a 18 to 20 inch bar. Most of my cutting is fir, maple, or alder and it does me well. We’ve got a bunch of other small saws but I just like the little homelite.
That being said, is there really a best? No. But there is a saw that feels good in your hands, gives you confidence when using it and starts when you pull the cord. That could be a $400 saw, or a $25 junk yard find that needs a little love.
Keep lookin. You’ll find it👍🏻

I have an MS241 that I use on the ground for many things and in the bucket along with a Lone Wolf MS 200 T. We have an MS 261 in the trailer that I end up using some times in the place of my 241. Whenever i am in a situation using the 261, all the time I am using it I am wishing I had my 241. The 241 is amazing.

Back in the Summer I was in the bucket about to cut a large limb, barely small enough to cut with the 241. A guy on the ground interrupted me (irritating) asking which saw I needed from the trailer. I just kept a poker face and said “ well, let me try this first.” He was watching intently and before I could get very far through it, I caught his turning around and walking away in my peripheral vision. No one questioned that saw for the rest of that job.

I bought mine from a member here after they removed from the American shelves. I paid a fortune for it and have never regretted it. My recommendation is that you search and find one.

I have an MS241 that I use on the ground for many things and in the bucket along with a Lone Wolf MS 200 T. We have an MS 261 in the trailer that I end up using some times in the place of my 241. Whenever i am in a situation using the 261, all the time I am using it I am wishing I had my 241. The 241 is amazing.

Back in the Summer I was in the bucket about to cut a long limb, barely small enough to cut with the 241. A guy on the ground interrupted me (irritating) asking which saw I needed from the trailer. I just kept a poker face and said “ well, let me try this first.” He was watching intently and before I could get very far through it, I caught his turning around and walking away in my peripheral vision. No one questioned that saw for the rest of that job.

I bought mine from a member here after they removed from the American shelves. I paid a fortune for it and have never regretted it. My recommendation is that you search and find one.
Whats a good used one worth?

when you define one, they might be asking a really high price or maybe they don’t know what they have and you get lucky. Having used one, I would pay $800 for a lightly used one if I had to.

I ran across one new on the shelf about a year ago after I already had mine. It would be possible to stumble across a new one at the dealer.

when you define one, they might be asking a really high price or maybe they don’t know what they have and you get lucky. Having used one, I would pay $800 for a lightly used one if I had to.

I ran across one new on the shelf about a year ago after I already had mine. It would be possible to stumble across a new one at the dealer.
What do you like an 18 or 16 in bar, for in the bucket use?

Back