Best less than 50cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doorfx

Doorfx

ArboristSite Operative
I have an MS241 that I use on the ground for many things and in the bucket along with a Lone Wolf MS 200 T. We have an MS 261 in the trailer that I end up using some times in the place of my 241. Whenever i am in a situation using the 261, all the time I am using it I am wishing I had my 241. The 241 is amazing.

Back in the Summer I was in the bucket about to cut a large limb, barely small enough to cut with the 241. A guy on the ground interrupted me (irritating) asking which saw I needed from the trailer. I just kept a poker face and said “ well, let me try this first.” He was watching intently and before I could get very far through it, I caught his turning around and walking away in my peripheral vision. No one questioned that saw for the rest of that job.

I bought mine from a member here after they removed from the American shelves. I paid a fortune for it and have never regretted it. My recommendation is that you search and find one.

X2 on this statement. Amazing saw that has baffled a few people I’ve cut with so far Just used for firewood , pine, spruce occasional fir. The part that amazes me is the cc is small but it has the same horsepower rating as most 50 cc saws and more than some. It is light, powerful and dead reliable, what more can you ask for in a saw.
220f3a31d1df548d6b3e69f7bdf694f6.jpg

lone wolf
X2 on this statement. Amazing saw that has baffled a few people I’ve cut with so far Just used for firewood , pine, spruce occasional fir. The part that amazes me is the cc is small but it has the same horsepower rating as most 50 cc saws and more than some. It is light, powerful and dead reliable, what more can you ask for in a saw.
More of them!

Burning man

Burning man

Formerly known as TheBrushSlasher
AS Supporting Member
The CS4510 is a CS501P with a few minor downgrades - plastic handle, no captive bar nuts, cheaper bar. Same engine and chassis though. There's a ytube video out there comparing them.

You mean the 4910 right? Because the 4510 is clamshell engine in a plastic chassis.

Bango Skank

Bango Skank

ArboristSite Operative
Love my MS-241, it’s a lot of fun, responds fast, really comfy antivibe.
Since I’ve entered my 40s, my hands have been bugging me, more so from climbing, gripping ropes and what not, but a chattery saw definitely aggravates them. The MS241 and a couple other newer saws are super comfy to run.

If I needed a 241 and couldn’t find one, I’d consider a rear handle MS201 or MS200 if you can find one.

MiserblOF

MiserblOF

ArboristSite Lurker
I'm a big fan of Echo saws. Even though it's been a bunch of different companies through the years, I still have my Echo CS 500VL from the early 80's. Can't even get a darn Air filter for it anymore. Battery Electrics will take over the consumer market within a few years. They are very nice now.

K-techcowboy

K-techcowboy

N.A.O.T Racing
I have an ms250c that is very strong and light weight. I even put a 14in on it yesterday and you can really do quite a bit with it. The power is the most impressive part. It freaking rips.

billyboy

billyboy

ArboristSite Operative
There was an 024 on craigs list recently, can’t believe I let that get away. I think it was about 2 bills or less. And I sat on my hands. They are few and far between

RedneckChainsawRepair
Cliff R

Cliff R

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I have no direct experience with the Echo CS-4901 or the 501P but would go that direction if looking for a new saw around 50cc. I'd bypass the CS-490, they are OK but not overly impressive and probably better with a 16" bar and .325" set up. For sure they don't have the power to run the 20" set-up many of them come with. I've had enough of them go thru the shop and that's just too much bar/chain for them.

Echo has really stepped up their game in the last few years and you will not be disappointed with either of those offerings. They are built with a lot of professional features and good power to weight ratios. I love the inboard clutch set-up and only oiling the bar when the chain is moving.

If you are looking at used or older models the Echo CS-510 is excellent, as are the Husqvarna 346XP and 55's, especially if you can find a closed port EPA version in good shape.

I use 50cc saws a lot here now that I'm older and mostly cutting tops left over from logging operations. I'd recommend no more than an 18" bar with .325" chain. They will pull more bar and 3/8" chain if you aren't in a big hurry, but if you are moving up to 20" and 3/8" you'd also be better off moving up to a 60-70cc saw instead.......IMHO......

Valpen

Valpen

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
If I needed a 241 and couldn’t find one, I’d consider a rear handle MS201 or MS200 if you can find one.
I completely agree.
A MS201 or MS200 with a 16" bar is a very good recommendation.
It is from Stihl's Prof-line and has great balance with the rear handle, low vibration, plenty of power, very light weight makes it a healthy match for an older non-professional (like myself).
They are expensive, but how many more saws will he need.
And you may end up inheriting it in the long run.

woodbutcher56

woodbutcher56

ArboristSite Operative

Latest posts