Boots?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is a lot easier to have a Goretex or some other synthetic membrane boot for those wet days. I tried for years to make Army combat boots less leaky and while I succeeded to some degree, the only boots I have warm where my feet have truly been dry were Goretex. They are hot on warmer days though, ergo you need another pair of boots for those.

wiley's right, Snow Seal is best for chrome tanned leather.

I use Obernauf's Leather Preservative, also a beewax and propolis base.

I have had boots from wesco,Danner, Red Wing, Buffalo,and custom made White's. It dosent matter what kind they are, or how well I take care of them; they will only last me a year at most before they are pretty ragged. No matter how well greased my feet are wet at the end of a rainy day in an all leather boot,IF I am working in the woods. The ones with a synthetic liner have been the only thing that kept my feet dry at the end of a wet day. But I dont like them because they all have those stupid speed laces. I like them with small brass hooks.

John

All your comments back up what i was thinking. Gortex is the best answer. That's why i like the danner Rain forest i have now.

Don't know if anyone is looking, but my most recent Sierra Trading post has the Danner Quarry (Gortex, steel toe) is some different sizes for $129.00. My problem is that i have a medium to narrow foot and size 12. The only size 12's they have are EE.

www.sierratradingpost.com

The danner rainforest have probably been my most comfortable pair of boots or shoes, ever. The only problem I have with them is that the gortex causes my feet to sweat on a hot summers day.
To remedy that I bought a pair of Baileys brand boots. They are ok. not the workmanship and quality of danners but they are tough boots. I also had to add the danner airthotic arch support and a cork footbed just to make the baileys boots comfortable. Next time I want a lace to toe design without goretex, I'll probably go with whites. I keep the baileys boots well conditioned and they have not leaked on me yet.

For conditioners I like Whites, and Ray Holes Saddle Butter. I'm sure they are many other good conditioners I have not yet tried. Mink oil is worthless and I have used snow seal alot in the past but found it to be too thick, which makes the leather very stiff and I believe it leads to premature cracking. My two cents. John

My boots are US military issue leather altama jungle boots. they have the panama soles all leather construction, and the vents in the sides for better foot cooling. I'm quite happy with them and wouldnt buy anything different unless it was made of a material that never wears out, never breaks and never gets too hot or cold.

Originally posted by oldsaw-addict
a material that never wears out, never breaks and never gets too hot or cold.

humm...wonder what that might be...:D

HI all! Has anybody ever owned the baileys climbing boots? My wecos are on its third set of soles and they're worn, I could save a hundred bucks on a pair of baileys compared to highliners, but are they as tough? Thanx for all advice. Be safe

Back