brand new husqvarna 395 dont run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THE LOCAL DEALER CHARGED HIM $50 FOR A CARB ADJUSTMENT ASSUMING HE WOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR IT.

That hoser would never get another dime of my money.

Too many devil's advocates.

$5 is too much to get a blower going, but $50 for a carb adjustment. You guys can be too much.

Fred

If you have a good dealer keep him feed. If he's a jerk don't keep him in business with your money.

Grande Dog said:
The saw was fully assembled, had a bar and chain on it, and had fuel and oil in it.

Sounds like Grande Dog is concerned for his costomers needs.
Does'nt sound like he never opened the box and just shipped the saw out without checking it out.
Then sending a second saw out. Knowing the customer is having problems. I don't think Bailey's or anybody else that also services saws would just send a saw out again without looking at it first.
Then paying for the saw to get tuned up. To the customers satisfaction.
I don't know of any walk in dealer that would bend over that far as to have someone else do there service for them.
I would how ever like to know why it took a half hour to get the second saw running right. It dose'nt take that long to adjust a carb. what was wrong with the first saw.

I do agree that Baileys did everything they could do, within the parameters they have available to them. Especially sending out the second saw. But the point is that it was the local dealer who ultimately solved the problem, whether you agree with the $50 or not. I wonder if that bill was "padded' a bit to compensate the customer for some of the grief he went through.

$50

Mr. said:
THE LOCAL DEALER CHARGED HIM $50 FOR A CARB ADJUSTMENT ASSUMING HE WOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR IT.

That hoser would never get another dime of my money.

Too many devil's advocates.

$5 is too much to get a blower going, but $50 for a carb adjustment. You guys can be too much.

Fred

If you have a good dealer keep him feed. If he's a jerk don't keep him in business with your money.
My question here is why does a new saw under warrenty have to be paid for to get it fixed if it has problems?? The dealer gets the warrenty claim. I can understand the dealer not being happy because it is a mail order item but that is how the modern world works. looks like baileys got hosed.:jawdrop:

I would bet that there are plenty of dealers that would need 30 minutes to adjust a carb. We have a dealer for that particular brand about two minutes from my house. I'm almost positive that he deals in saws, but his real deal is riding lawn mowers (the sale of). Chainsaw carbs are probably something he doesn't deal with often. Being a local seller, I'm sure I could walk in and buy a saw and it would already be set up or I could watch him set it up.

Wednesday I went to pick up a saw that I had ordered the Friday before. The local dealer of a competing brand brought it out from the back in a box which kind of surprised me because I thought that saw wasn't sold in a box. Not even in a big box. He took it out of the box and set it on the counter and started to un-package the bar and I had to tell him that he had gotten the wrong saw. So now it's another few days of waiting. But that's okay; I'm a non-vocal fanboy who is going to buy the same brand no matter what.

If I were an operator and I chose to mess with the low screw and the idle, I really don't think that I would expect anyone else to make adjustments and call it covered under warranty. Surely we all recognize that when a dealer or mechanic quotes us a cost we once again have a choice: either we want it or we don't.

I'd like to hear more about the angry employee that destroyed the 066 or the 660, whichever it was. As for the current job, it sounds like what you really need is an MS 460 R with some of that RDR chain!

Last edited:
This thread is out of control. Hell, I started it and i don't have the time to read it all. Okay, I did get a local guy to adjust the carb, and Baileys did offer to pay for it. The saw is up and running and the job is done and that is the most important thing here. As far as the guy who thinks the difrence in the price is only 50. bucks, you are way off. The best price I could get on that 395 in NY is $1,100. + tax (8.75%) with a 20" bar. Baileys sold it to me for $869.00
How can you beat that? Keep in mind that i have been doing busisness with Baileys for over 8 years now and they have always stood by thier product and never given me any problems. If i purchased all that equipment over the years in the local shop that gets full retail + 10%, I would not be able to compete with the local company's here and my customers would not have got the best price I can offer them either. I care about my customers and i treat them the best I can. In my opinion, Bailey's feels this way as well. The saw was a problem and they went out of thier way to make things right.

spacemule said:
I'd buy from Bailey's. Sounds like they care about customer service.
BAILEY'S WENT ABOVE AND BEYOND, THEY HAVE THE BEST CUSTOMER SEVICE. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM AS I HAVE BEEN USING THEM FOR MANY YEARS WITHOUT ONE PROBLEM UNTIL THIS SAW AND THEY WERE ON IT LIKE WHITE ON RICE. GREAT JOB BAILEY'S!

spike60 said:
Yeah, but who's paying for all of his aggravation?

A customer buying a new 395 is entitled to have it set up and running properly. Can't do that without taking it out of the box though.

The only aggravation I had to deal with here is the customer, but that's what you get for working for a guy like this. Keep in mind how much time Bailey's spent on the phone trying to help me out, they paid for shipping back and forth (they even 2nd day aired the saw back to me). I can not ask for better customer service. They offered to pay for that expensive carb. tunning, but you know what, I decided not to except that $, as they did enough for me. I will tell them to send me a hat or t shirt instead. Bailey's is a great company and I am very happy with them.

Choice

Glad this ended up well for you and that you had the CHOICE to go online and save yourself $220-$235 compared to what was quoted local. If this would have not been a Husky and the other major brand out there. You would have had know choice but to cough up the dough or go with a different brand. I like a choice, not here it is take it or leave it.
str.gif

A 95cc saw in professional use could easily be earning $250/hr. If the saw cost $2,000.00 it would still pay for itself in a week of pro use and start putting money in the sawyers pocket. The saw has at least a 5 year life expectancy in pro use so it will produce a HUGE return on investment. Saving 20% at purchase is a minuscule difference in overall operating cost over the life of the saw. Buy local and support you neighbor. Buy local and the sales tax goes to your home state. Aren't chainsaws an allowable deduction for a tree care or landscaping business? If you had a lot clearing/stump grinding service and quoted a price on a job only to have another company low-ball you, how would you feel if the land owner called you to clean up after the other company did the job then split? ( or missed one stump?) Would you charge your normal rate or stick it to the guy for not hiring you in the first place?

I would likely have refused to work on the internet purchased saw in my shop. And don't anybody go telling me I "have to, it's under warranty" NO I DON'T! Buy a pro grade saw from me and get pro grade service, buy it elsewhere because it was cheeper, get the low grade service you paid for.

sedanman said:
I would likely have refused to work on the internet purchased saw in my shop. And don't anybody go telling me I "have to, it's under warranty" NO I DON'T! Buy a pro grade saw from me and get pro grade service, buy it elsewhere because it was cheeper, get the low grade service you paid for.

Durn Sedanman I gotta tell ya. I got a brother who works at a car dealership and he and the other mechanics think exactly like you. He says they get cars in all the time that are bought elsewhere and the mechanics and the service managers fight like cats and dogs over who's cars get fixed first. He said they, the mechaincs, always take care of cars bought from them first and those others from elsewhere can f----in wait. He says the service manager throws a tissy all the time and the mechanics, brother included, tell them to fix it them self if they worried about other dealers cars. I must admit as well I get alot of Stihl's brought in that were bought somewhere else and I always give the owners a hard time but in good fun. I always say where'd ya buy that thing. They tell me and I say well why ya bringing it here, should I care in a joking way. I do it on purpose and in a good teasing way to letem know I'd rather they not only come to me for service but buy from me as well. After giving them a hard time in a joking way I most time fix their problems on the spot and I in turn steal me a customer away from my competiton. Works like a charm. Many,many have come back and bought from me and I always say to em now ya cooking in my pot. They always laff and carry on with me and them cats become mine. Today I even fixed up 2 Husqvarna's on the spot and one guy gave me a 20.00 tip and the other guy said I didn't expect you to fix it on the spot. I said just think if that thing was orange and white, I would have met ya in the parking lot with wrench in hand. He laffed his head off and said I guess I'm gonna have to buy a Stihl. I said no, you don't have to but I want ya to. He'll be back for one I'm sure...

You're right Thall- I sell a different product- but the principle is the same-
take care of the person in front of you and you just made a new friend and probably earned some repeat business.

You are so right Thall. I took my Poulan 3750 into the Dolmar dealer down the road last year to see what was up with the poor running. This was before i learned alot from this site. But any how, before I walked into the door he called. I went to pick the saw back up and he said that would be $5 for looking at it. Scored piston and cylinder on exhaust side. Now I will not buy any of the new poulan plastic stuff on the market today. But guess who i will buy from new down the road. Just because someone didnt buy a saw from you yesterday, dont mean that someday, they might just be the ones paying for your meal ticket for the great service you gave them today.

Cut4fun said:
You are so right Thall. I took my Poulan 3750 into the Dolmar dealer down the road last year to see what was up with the poor running. This was before i learned alot from this site. But any how, before I walked into the door he called. I went to pick the saw back up and he said that would be $5 for looking at it. Scored piston and cylinder on exhaust side. Now I will not buy any of the new poulan plastic stuff on the market today. But guess who i will buy from new down the road. Just because someone didnt buy a saw from you yesterday, dont mean that someday, they might just be the ones paying for your meal ticket for the great service you gave them today.

I just see it this way. I know I can't sell every Stihl in the county but whenever someone comes in from somewhere else I see it as theres my chance to bringem over to my side of town. I given all a hard time but all in good natured fun and they seem to enjoy it more than me. They tend to come back for more and alottla times many have switched to me from their other dealer just because I gavem a bunch of non-sense and gotem laffing and carrying on. It do seem to work pruty good..............

If a guy is local to me and buys from the next dealer down the road, I would try to "steal him" away from the other guy. If he's local to me and buys off the internet he can go scratch! The guy down the road has the same expenses as me, paying the same wages, paying the same taxes, all for the privilege of selling right down the road from me. The internet sales house is NOT paying the same fees I am for the privilege of selling in my territory. I could take a second mortgage on my house, buy a ton-o-saws and get a website overnight and be selling coast to coast with very low overhead and NO hands on service. Doesn't seem as honest as the way I'm doing it now, face to face in person. I have spoken to each and every person that has purchased from me, I see my customers in the grocery store and at church, they know who I am and I know who they are. My customers make a business decision when they buy from me, they support me and I support them, one hand washes the other. I had a guy come in the other day and tell me a dealer down the road was selling a particular backpack blower for "X"$. When I looked up my cost on the unit, I told him to go get me a few at that price because it was less than dealer cost. He backed off a bit then I told him I'd keep mine before I sold it at a loss. When he asked for the best possible price, I ointed to the sticker and said "that's it right there". He left without a blower but was back 2 days later with cash in hand to get one, seems the dealer down the road was playing bait and switch and I was straight up.

sedanman said:
If a guy is local to me and buys from the next dealer down the road, I would try to "steal him" away from the other guy. If he's local to me and buys off the internet he can go scratch! The guy down the road has the same expenses as me, paying the same wages, paying the same taxes, all for the privilege of selling right down the road from me. The internet sales house is NOT paying the same fees I am for the privilege of selling in my territory. I could take a second mortgage on my house, buy a ton-o-saws and get a website overnight and be selling coast to coast with very low overhead and NO hands on service. Doesn't seem as honest as the way I'm doing it now, face to face in person. I have spoken to each and every person that has purchased from me, I see my customers in the grocery store and at church, they know who I am and I know who they are. My customers make a business decision when they buy from me, they support me and I support them, one hand washes the other. I had a guy come in the other day and tell me a dealer down the road was selling a particular backpack blower for "X"$. When I looked up my cost on the unit, I told him to go get me a few at that price because it was less than dealer cost. He backed off a bit then I told him I'd keep mine before I sold it at a loss. When he asked for the best possible price, I ointed to the sticker and said "that's it right there". He left without a blower but was back 2 days later with cash in hand to get one, seems the dealer down the road was playing bait and switch and I was straight up.

See ya point there Sed 100%. People will play ya like a fool if ya letem and its obvious to me your no fool. Had man call me one day and tell me he could buy a MS460 for 525.00 from some place he named. I said is that right, well ya best getcha ass over there and get it cause thats cheaper than I can buy it. He knew right then I wasn't falling for that bull. That thing with the internet is under cutting dealers like you and I see ya point on that too, don't think I'm fussing with your point of view cause I'm not. I don't have to deal with that with Stihl so I can't say how I would react to it because I've never had to deal with it. I may feel exactly like you no doult. Seeing you would try to grabb your local boys from other dealers is good. Nothing wrong with that at all, good friendly competition. The internet thing is hard to accept because your competing with huge amounts of money at no fault of your own so don't think for a second I don't understand ya reasoning for I do. I will work on anyones saw in hope of getting their business down the road but if I know for sure they won't buy from me at all because of price I , just like you , would have a slight sore spot in my crawl. I've had customers tell me they can go here and there and get a better deal and I always reply well shoot that don't make sense, why ya here then. They laff knowing I done blew their cover and most time they stay with me. Internet dealing though is something hard to accept I'm sure...

Now you guys got me wondering. (DEALERS) Is the mark up( what you make clear) on one saw sold, enough to turn away a customer at $45-$60 a hour labor charge plus parts mark up etc. Just because they didnt buy the saw from you. This person might keep coming back over and over down the road for good service and that seems to me where the money would be. Am I wrong dealers?

"I'd like to hear more about the angry employee that destroyed the 066 or the 660, whichever it was. "

His name is Bill or as we call him (knucklehead), he got that name for a reason! This guy was rough on all equipment. He could destroy a brand new chipper, grinder , truck, etc. We were doing a job in the Bronx and I went to go pick up lunch. I left 3 guys at the job; Knucklehead, this guy Paul who is the best climber i have ever worked with and a Polish guy (Romek). Romek worked with me from day one, he was only 17 years old and he is a friend. I came back from a deli with lunch and I found my brand new 066M laying on the side walk all busted up. Above the side walk was a cliff about 40' high and knucklehead was working right above it. I asked what the hell happened to my saw, but no one knew anything. Romek told me later that night that Bill got mad that he grounded the saw and it would no longer cut good, so he threw the saw as far as he could and it cleared the cliff and broke into many pieces upon impact with the concrete side walk. I fired the guy the next morning and told him the customer was watching the job from his window in the building and saw the whole event. Bill was also in a bad mood because I found his stash of budwiser in the truck and hid it. He was unaware of that and had the nerve to ask me to pick him up one beer for lunch. I reminded him that drinking on the job was not permitted and if I caught him, he would be out of a job. I put up with this guy for 5 years until this happened. When he came back 2 weeks later asking for his job back, I told him no problem, just show up with a brand new 066 to replace the one he destroyed, I never heard from him again.

Back