Buying First Gas Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL Bunyon I own a tree service and I own several stihl saws. if you want to spend 400.00 I'd Suggest a 026 if you would care to spend 550.00 i think i cant remember how much a 036 is. The 036 would Be my choice. And if you have the Means of about 775.00 You would get Your Jollies with a 046 Mag. I use each on a daily Basis. And am delighted with Them all.;)

Bunyyan Dude,chill a sec! A lot of the guys here are not pro's and don't do this for a living. I don't think anybody is belittling you or calling you stupid, some just have different ways of expressing concern and in this case disbeleif. You have provided the viewing public with a pretty exotic scenario! Everybody gets poked fun at here, its part of the charm!

When I made a suggestion about getting some more info on safety and technique I was being sincere. Knowing what hinge wood is, is great, finding out what can happen when you stand behind a properly notched tree and nibble away at your back cut with the wrong tool can be explosive.
I bought my first saw at Home Depot, I bought my second and third poulan piece of S#$t at Walmart(god forgive me) only because I didn't know any better. I figured hey, I'm just cutting down trees. When I became interested in milling my own lumber I took the plunge and bought my first professional saw for the large displacement. Boy, was the Husky manual a lot different than the poulan manual! That's when I began to poke around for more info about this stuff. Read some books on the subject and realized how lucky I was with some of the silly things I had been doing. Just because I had done stupid things over and over doesn't mean that it wasn't just waiting to go all wrong. I can run across the interstate and probably make it safely 50 times, but if I keep doing it, something bad is gonna happen.

Learn from mistakes, let the bad words roll off(they are just words), and smile a little. Welome to the site, I hope you stick around and have some fun and learn with the rest of us.

This is an interesting and funny thread:D No bunyan not laughing at you just see youve met all the goofballs on here. Like as said they mean no harm just all for fun.

No whats wrong with the John Deere you have? I think it will do the job alot better than the electrics Id give it a chance. Another thing the saws that are and will be suggested here are way overkill for your job. Too many power hungry guys on here me included but sometise you dont need it.

If your set on something different get the saw rbtree has it is a Craftsmen I beleive. Which is a Solo and a very good quality saw.

Me I use old saws right now most 20+ yrs (yes I'm cheap) usually not for the begginer as they require work to get them going but well worth it.

what drunken Canucks??? What are you talking about...we quit drinking when the funnel was invented...

Bunyyan, ya gotta wade through alot of crap before ya get the good stuff...everyone goes through it..dont take it to heart..heck I have been here for 7 months now and still get beat up on every chance these guys get...Newfie said it right..everyone has a dfferent way of expressing themselves and what they are trying to say...sometimes it can be taken wrong...dont ever take it personal...just give it back:D

bunyyan,of the two saws you our looking at (026and357)go to the local dealers and see if one stand out in service and a willingness to help you meet yuor cutting needs.I did a tree removel last week for an older gentleman(83) and he insisted on helping.The next thing I know he's dragging out an electric saw and cord.He actualy did a good job with it on the smaller stuff.I just hope if I get to be that old I still am able to get to the woods and cut.(but I'm going to need more cord):D Dan

Bunyyan
First of all I would like to welcome you aboard.It is always good to see new people on here that are not afraid to ask for help and actually admit that they dont know everything.
I really hate to recommend one major brand over the other,they all have there good and bad models.Its a lot like Chevy verses Ford,each build a good quality product but we all have our preferences.
You will have to choose for yourself what model you will purchase we can only point you in the right direction.
If you want to go on a road trip,you are more then welcome to come here and run as many saws as you want.I always have 026s,034s,036,357s,372 and more around here.You can run them all and it may help you decide what you like the best.You can even stay and cut all day,I can always use more fire wood.
Or maybe someone a little closer to you will let you run a few of theirs.
Later
Dan

Dan..thanks for the welcome and the offer to run your saws. I will give your offer some thought. If I take a road trip it will definitely have to be on a weekend. This weekend I will take your advice and visit a few dealers so I can see the 026 and 357 up close and personal.:blob2:

Hi Dan,
How does Tuesday, June 4 th sound for having our own clearwater here in the northeast? I'll bring my 372 up to compare them like we talked earlier....Rotax Rick

Creep on loggin'

Rick
You little creep,were have you been?I wont be here the fist week in June,I promised my kid that I would take him to Disney Land that week.Any time after that will be fine.Just give me a few days notice so I can hide my wife.We all know what happened when you visited John and I dont need any more children.

Bunyyan
Weekends are fine with me,as long as its not the first week in june.You can email me at [email protected]
Later
Dan

First Saw

Hey Bunyyan,If you have a 38cc John Deere keep it for the small stuff,after the tree falls the limbs need to come off.My small saw sees more use my large saw because its lighter and it dosent wear me out as fast as the larger one does. Take good care of it and it will last. If you need a larger saw,decide how large do you need, and how much do you want to spend?There are many here with great knowledge about chainsaws and they will help you.LOL,Mikey

Mikey..I hope you are joking. After talking with these guys, and getting "help" from them, I wouldn't consider keeping the John Deere. It appears to be an inferior, non-pro saw. I am going to my local Husky dealer tomorrow to check out the 357xp and the 372xp. Will visit my local Stihl dealer over the weekend to compare.

First chainsaw

Hi Bunyyan,I don't know your future plans with a chainsaw.If you have only ten trees to cut, do you need a 60-72cc pro saw?The 38cc deere is a decent saw for small jobs,much better than any electric chainsaw.The Home Depot where I live rents Husky saws.Don't get caught up in the notion that You must have a Husky 372.($500.-$600) to cut a tree.This saw is powerful and very dangerous in the wrong hands. If you plan on cutting lots of firewood or many trees for years to come,You will need a larger quality saw. but I would keep the 3816 for limbing.I'm sure you local Husky and Stihl dealers will be helpful. Most of all, when you cut ,BE CAREFULL.Most people get hurt when they least expect it.Good Luck.Mikey

Last edited:
Mikey..thanks for you opinion and advice. I would not consider keeping the John Deere even for limbing because as a result of studying posts and participating in this process at this site, I am convinced that the John Deere saw from Home Depot is an inferior product.

Now when you said the thing about be careful when you "cut" you get hurt when you least expect it.....did you mean when using a chainsaw or were you referring to posting "cutting up" comments on this site?????? Things that make you go Hmmmm!

Bunyyan..I dont think I am wrong in saying that he is referring to actually getting hurt...it can happen and has just happened to me...just a stupid mistake doing something I have done a hundred times...use appropriate safety gear..for any job you do...

Like Marty says..."protect yourself"

Hi Bunyyan jr, I too am curious about your handle, seems to be a different spelling than the Paul of logger lore. Anyway, don`t let the abuse that you feel you have received cloud your judgement for what you may really need. Had you bought a Stihl, Husky, or Milwaukee electric saw, you might not even be in the market now. You may not need a $500 or $600 saw. That doesn`t mean you can`t have one just because you want one, but it sort of makes advice from others irrelavent doesn`t it? You will never go wrong with the 357 or the 372, but you are taking a jump in performance that would be like trading in your slingshot for a 30-`06. Nothing wrong with that either, just be aware that things happen exponentially quicker and with much more fanfare at this level of performance. I have seen many cheaper brands of saws that cut with the best when they are in good condition, they usually lack some features and durabilty to make them cheaper. If I were you, I`d be inclined to use your Homelight for awhile and see how you like it. You will probably gain more valuable insight into what your real needs are than you would from all the advice here. You will also find that having a light weight saw is a blessing, and you may also be more productive in the long run. If your mind is set on having a "brand" saw, maybe you should consider a smaller "tuned" saw, such as a Jonsered 2149 from Dennis. A Greffardized 2149 is one of the true "Screaming Deals" to be had. You could be the proud owner of one for in the neighborhood of a 357, and probably be happier in the long run. Besides if you hang out here too much, it`s only a short matter of time before you feel that you can`t cut another day without a tuned saw from one of these guys. It doesn`t matter to anyone who matters what brand of saw(s) you own, everyone is welcome here. Russ

Russ..thanks for the info...I purchased a Husky model 55. The full 55 with decompression valve, not the Rancher model. Has a 20" bar and I love the saw. I think that the 357 would have been too much power for me coming out of the gate. The John Deere(homelite) saw is back on the store shelves. I love the 55 and can see a difference in the performance of the saw already, in the short 20 minutes that I have used it.
Regarding the spelling of my handle, I simply hit the "y" key twice by accident when I was typing it!! It wasn't intentional, just a dumb ass mistake.

Stihltech...I hear ya....have been studying the owners manual...also cleaned the saw up after using it. Took it apart to get into all the tough to reach spots...What do you use to clean up your saws...I used a Greased Lightning product which worked well...Also sharpened the chain and retensioned it.

bunyan,
it is good to hear after 4 pages you bought a saw that fits your needs and you are happy with. now it is improtant to learn good woods safety and protect yourself. even the smallest of tree jobs can leave you busted-up or cut badly. i am not saying you do not know what you are doing but every tree is differant and can be a learning experiance. the basics will help you survive. practice in this field does not make perfect, practice makes improvement. get yourself a good helmet system and chaps and cut some wood. marty

Back