Chainsaw Mishap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My brother had a unfortunate chainsaw ordeal last night. He was using a chainsaw borrowed from an in-law to help cleanup his FILs yard from Hurricane Ike. Last night he brought it over for my to service and sharpen the chain. We accompished that and he went home, only a 1/2 mile away. He called a few minutes later and told me he went home without the saw. So I got out in the gargage to get it and it's not there. We were still without power so he's looking everywhere for this thing with a flash light. He's pulling his hair out trying to figure out where this thing went. He finally goes back home to look there again. He then finds out from his wife that theres been talk in the neighborhood that people have been walking around taking whatever they can get their hands on. So he calls he cops to report a theft. Meanwhile I grab my 180 for bait and head overthere with a Sig P220 and 10 rounds of 45. No, I'm not looking to shoot the perp, but I am going to have protection. I want to catch this jerk. The cop shows up and my brother gives him the story. While we're standing there talking about it, a call comes over the radio asking if the saw was a red Craftsman. Well it was. I'm thinking they caught a theif and had recovered it already. But NOOOOOOOOOO! My brother had evidently left the tailgate of his truck down, the saw had fallen out, a car had hit it and drug it down the road and the saw had caught on fire. It punctured the oil pan on the car and it had to be towed. Can you believe that? Can you imagine his humilliation? The poor guys is really upset because he honestly thought he remembered taking it out of his truck and setting it in the garage. He like, "I'm loosing my mind!". But I seriously doubt someone had stolen it and dropped it i the middle of the road in that short period of time. The timing was too right and I'm sure he just left his tailgate down and it flew out when he turned into his neighborhood.

Now to the saw itself. It's a Craftsman 917.353750. It's not listed on Acres site under Craftsman. Anyone know what it is? It looks like a 40cc-50cc Homelite with a 16" bar and has a sharpening stone built into the bar cover. I've heard of these but never seen one. It has a real funky chain too. I'd like to fine out about what size saw it was so that we know what to replace it with. The handle mount is broken, handle bent and ground away, air filter and cover missing, air box wall caved in, bar broken off, and rear handle broken. It's not as destroyed as you would think, but it's not worth fixing either.

I'd like to help him out and find him a good deal to replace the saw with. It's just really unfortunate that he got burnt trying to help someone else out. Let me know if any of you have something like a descent midsized Homelite or similiar that you wouldn't mind parting with for a fair price. I do need it to be complete and running.

Remington comes to mind but I need to look around.

Edit: I take that back, probably a Poulan 361 or similar.

Last edited:
naw, not slugs. they require too much concentration. buckshot; yeah thats the ticket. you just have to point it in the general direction of the intended target....btw, if i were you brother i would have not have admitted to leaving the tailgate down..........yeah, i probably would have done the same and have taken my lumps when the car owner's insurance company comes looking to subrogate the claim.

Last edited:
I am glad that some car picked it up from the road and not a motorcycle.

Last year I had someone loose a pallet of mortar at an intersection and some s hit head
loose a few bundles of insulation on the highway. Cars just started dodging the insulation
with no regard for who or what was next to them.

I've got the same saw here and not sure who made it.
I think I would look at a good used Homelite XL12 for a replacement. There's piles of them around.Ebay's always a good source.Power is about the same and the XL12 is lighter.
Sorry to here about the mishap.....

I just talked to my brother and it's marked on the side 3.7 CI 17". It looks very much like the XL-12 which also looks like the Poulan 361. The oil filler cap is on the back side of the saw to the left of the handle.

3.7 Roper?

Either way, sounds like reason not to leave the tailgate down!

Nice choice of sidearm, though. I'm still partial to the 1911, but a 220 is a nice piece of equipment. As for the 12, I figure that 00 will do anything that slugs will do on unarmored targets, with a (relative) reduction in overpenetration risk...

3.7 Roper?

Either way, sounds like reason not to leave the tailgate down!

Nice choice of sidearm, though. I'm still partial to the 1911, but a 220 is a nice piece of equipment. As for the 12, I figure that 00 will do anything that slugs will do on unarmored targets, with a (relative) reduction in overpenetration risk...

I'm a bit more of a XD fan. :)

couple shots of mine.....

attachment.php

attachment.php

Remington comes to mind but I need to look around.

Edit: I take that back, probably a Poulan 361 or similar.

Interesting that you're the first to respond and said nothing about the BIL borrowing saws thing.;)

BTW, as long as we're on the subject, I'm a Glock 10mm guy.

Interesting that you're the first to respond and said nothing about the BIL borrowing saws thing.;)

BTW, as long as we're on the subject, I'm a Glock 10mm guy.

I built a wall around that in my brain. It also helps that he might not be in the family for much longer. :)

Ewwwww, the plastic! What kind of fool shoots a plastic gun?!

Suit_Range.jpg

Oh, wait, never mind. I guess the better question might be what kind of fool goes to the range in a suit...

Yeah, I was hesitant about it too. It shoots better than anything I have shot before and fits in my hand nice. I need to shoot more often though, it has been almost a year since I pulled it out.

Should I mention the purple shirt too? hahaha!

I've got a 330 Homelite (50cc??) that I'd consider selling. Saw is mint, bar 20" excellent shape. chain like new. Carb boot replaced by previous owner 2 yrs ago. I've only put maybe 4 tanks of fuel through it, previous owner probably didn't run that many tanks through it.
Let me know if your interested in it to replace craftsman.

Latest posts

Back