Charity Firewood Cutting for Interfaith Caregivers of Burnett County WI

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did you get something like this started? Talked to a few friends that are in the "charity" know, and they aren't aware of anything like that in our area. I am located in central IL, and would be interested in looking into changing that.

How did you get something like this started?
I have heard of a few similar efforts.

You need: a source of wood; a way to identify/qualify people who need/heat with wood; folks that like to cut wood; a way to deliver it.

A lot of the wood for this project has been courtesy of some straight line winds that blew threw over the past few years.
You might be able to work with your County, a local congregation, or local social service group to identify potential recipients.
AS is a good way to find people who like to cut!
You need to talk to a lawyer and accountant if you want to set it up as a formal charity with tax exemptions, etc.

Philbert

It helps if you have some land where you can accept, accumulate, and work wood without people stealing it. But you could cut and split in the woods, and deliver unseasoned wood to recipients, to minimize handling.

Guys with skid-steer loaders and dump trailers are also a big help.

Local tree companies, utilities, and county solid waste management departments could be sources for wood.

Any formal, established charity will have a lot of questions about insurance and liability.

Philbert

Looks like Saturday the 18th will be our next trip to "work the wood pile." Denny would like us to clear trees at the new Humane Society building site-but without mechanized help (aka skidsteers) it looks more like cutting and splitting at his place...........

Wetgunpowder, Pele, Smalltreecutter, GrizzlyAdams86, Denny, a few folks from the Humane Society, and I did a little falling, bucking, and limbing today at the future Humane Society site, while (apparently) about 19 people from some church groups worked at the Interfaith Site. We still got cinnamon rolls and carmel rolls out of it!

It was a lot of fun, and a good experience to drop some trees, without too many people around to get in each other's way. Limbed and bucked into 8 foot lengths for transfer to the Interfaith site for further bucking, splitting, and stacking. This load went out today. Some of the wood pictured was already cut, but we left a lot more cut logs on the ground, and in piles awaiting transport, with many more trees to still come down. Nice day with beautiful weather for it.

Thanks!

Philbert

Log HS Site.jpg

Wetgunpowder, Pele, Smalltreecutter, GrizzlyAdams86, Denny, a few folks from the Humane Society, and I did a little falling, bucking, and limbing today at the future Humane Society site, while (apparently) about 19 people from some church groups worked at the Interfaith Site. We still got cinnamon rolls and carmel rolls out of it!

It was a lot of fun, and a good experience to drop some trees, without too many people around to get in each other's way. Limbed and bucked into 8 foot lengths for transfer to the Interfaith site for further bucking, splitting, and stacking. This load went out today. Some of the wood pictured was already cut, but we left a lot more cut logs on the ground, and in piles awaiting transport, with many more trees to still come down. Nice day with beautiful weather for it.

Thanks!

Philbert

View attachment 374524
Awesome job!

I really want to make it to one of these when my schedule allows.

Pele, Smalltreecutter, jonsered raket and I made it up to Webster after work yesterday and finished falling trees at the Humane Society building site. After it gets hauled to Denny's I would estimate he will have between 70-80 loggers cord to process! Anyone up for another marathon cutting???

Pele, Smalltreecutter, jonsered raket and I made it up to Webster after work yesterday and finished falling trees at the Humane Society building site. After it gets hauled to Denny's I would estimate he will have between 70-80 loggers cord to process! Anyone up for another marathon cutting???
Deer hunting opener is this coming weekend.... We wanna help, but when are ya thinking?
(besides, I've got something from Austria for Barb if she's watching the thread...)

Latest posts

Back