Compact or sub compact tractor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tractor brand recomendation

• Kubota

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • John Deere

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • New Holland

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Ls

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 10 14.7%

• Total voters
Exactly, and it was a fairly even match.

How Rob can say his ATV would out pull his subcompact without ever actually hooking them up is odd.
DOH, where did I say I wouldn't hook them up??

AS I ALREADY said, MY 600 Grizzly WILL out pull my B6200 and I bet you MY B6200 will pull as much as a sub-com pact... That was and IS my point.

SR

It's all about traction. Turf tires on a sub compact vs mud tires on an atv in grass I'm going to say the atv wins. I used to have a lifted ford ranger back in the day with super swampers and it would go through anything and pull all those big trucks out. I pulled out a duramax the one time.

It's all about traction. Turf tires on a sub compact vs mud tires on an atv in grass I'm going to say the atv wins. I used to have a lifted ford ranger back in the day with super swampers and it would go through anything and pull all those big trucks out. I pulled out a duramax the one time.

Exactly,For dragging logs, the tractor should have the advantage because you can use the 3 point hitch to slightly lift the load. Thus giving the tractor more traction and the log is not digging into the dirt. I've yet to see an ATV with a 3 point hitch.

Exactly,For dragging logs, the tractor should have the advantage because you can use the 3 point hitch to slightly lift the load. Thus giving the tractor more traction and the log is not digging into the dirt. I've yet to see an ATV with a 3 point hitch.

Usually I carry logs out on my shoulder because as you said the atv won't lift them and one branch stuck in the ground is like a hook in the mud. I think your old Kubota is more of a tractor than these new ones. I had a shaft driven large tire mtd lawn tractor about 10 years ago and that thing was a work horse. Nothing like my "22 hp" lawn tractor today. I cracked the frame on that tractor pulling a concrete slab. It was like the 70s sub compact tractor. I'm a bit skeptical of these sub compact tractors that look like a garden tractor with a loader.

Maybe on some ATV's, but on my Grizzly I can hook just as high as a SC 3 point will go...

SR

I'm pretty sure he said to help LIFT the load. Just hooking higher isn't the same as hooking low and lifting the butt end off the ground.

Whether or not YOUR grizzly will out pull YOUR Kubota B6200 is debatable. That's a tiny tractor and in my opinion it would still out pull a 4 wheeler. What's NOT debatable is tractors in general are designed for work and torque, 4 wheelers in general are designed for going fast and playing. Can they do work...yes....will they outwork a tractor that weighs 2 or 3 times as much...no...no they wont.

Wonder how someone blew up a 3038 with only 200 hours ? That's barely broken in. Sweet deal for you !
Evidently, he got a hole in the coolant system somewhere and did not pay attention to the idiot light. He smoked it. John Deere told the guy that it was going to cost him $15000 to re-do it. He said no way and that is where the mechanic and salesman came in and bought the tractor from him (probably for little or nothing). They went straight to Yanmar, bypassing John Deere, for a new motor. The mechanic did it as an after-work project, as he needed some money for a pulling tractor that he is building. I had to get the brake fixed and get the front axle seals replaced. I just put a Tuff Top on it. I have less than 16 grand in what is essentially a new tractor.

The only problem is that now I keep looking for another project to use it on. The thing is just plain fun to use, when compared to my big old International.

I would guess that Kubota did not want fluid in the tires, due to the corrosive nature of calcium chloride. Now, using beet juice, I would guess that it is different, but I am not familiar with Kubota practices.

That would break the front wheels loose on my 4x4 ATV. Then I'm back to 2WD.
That's true, BUT lifting the 3 point on a tractor takes the weight off the front wheels too...

I OWN the 600 Grizzly and I OWN the 6200 and have owned them both for many years, so I know what they will do, I've pilled many loads with both.

Do you nay sayers own both of those??? Have you actually TRIED both??

You can't sit there and tell me what you don't know, because YOU haven't tried both.

SR

So by your logic....

I've never tried out pulling a garden tractor with a power wheels jeep, guess I can't make any claims that the garden tractor would win.

I've never tried jumping out of a plane without a parachute, guess I can't claim it would kill me.

I've never tried wrestling a full grown grizzly bear, guess I can't claim it would throw me around like a ragdoll

Hmmmm....if I took and had a 6' tall 200 lb man and a 4' tall 70 lb boy enter a tug of war competition, I can't say the man would easily win???

Just because I haven't tried something or don't own something doesn't mean I cant used logic and common sense to come to a reasonable conclusion as to what would happen

That's true, BUT lifting the 3 point on a tractor takes the weight off the front wheels too...

I OWN the 600 Grizzly and I OWN the 6200 and have owned them both for many years, so I know what they will do, I've pilled many loads with both.

Do you nay sayers own both of those??? Have you actually TRIED both??

You can't sit there and tell me what you don't know, because YOU haven't tried both.

SR

That's true, but the tractor has a lot more weight over the front wheels.

We can all consider facts and form opinions, without actually owning whatever it is we're considering. Asserting otherwise is silly. The main fact here being, the tractor weighs almost exactly 2x what the ATV does. Which should play the most part in pulling ability - contributing to the main limiting factor, that being traction. That's not to say the opinion formed is guaranteed true, and might turn out not to be - but it is certainly worthy of expressing.

There is one factor no one has mentioned yet. Operator skill. Just dumping the clutch and hoping for the best is not going to win many pulling contest. Like drag racing, the drivers talent plays a big role in who will win.

IMG_20180322_112234487.jpg IMG_20180322_111957635.jpg
My prediction is this is in your future. 60 inch deck and the 50 inch front blower. If I need to dig I'll use a skid loader.
The fit and finish beats the JD, controls are much more ergonomicly placed.
I was using a 72 inch zero turn to mow (4hrs). I'm a bit slower now, but making a 180 turn (backward 90 and forward 90) really surprised me.
I skiped over the last half of the pages, pissing match about a tractor compared to a 4wheeler wasn't interesting. Visit your dealers and watch a few youtube videos, you'll then be ready to buy what fits your intended use.
ohh, the 4x4 worked great this winter while blowing snow. They pack alot of tractor in a little package.

That's a nice rig.

Is the blower shaft drive? Thinking so but not sure.

I've been thinking about upgrading our JD ride on to something just like that, but not sure I can convince my other half. I have chains on the back end year round, we have a very hilly lawn that can make for a spin out if not paying attention. So 4WD would be nice. So would a front blower.

Yes, shaft drive. The bx80 series has been revamped, so attachments driven of the front have a new mounting system. A real time saver, dropping the blower and putting the deck on is quick and easy.
Watch some videos and visit a dealer.
I have no chains an not planning to get any. My drive way is around 700 ft long. If I was using a blade, I'd probably want chains.

When you watch those videos, there is a bias, so watch each and remember they will always try to show their product in a brighter lite.

Interesting that 32 votes have been cast in the poll and none of them are for JD. They're fairly popular around here. We only ended up with ours because we won it in a 4H raffle - but I have been pretty happy with it. Then again the huge step up from the old Yardman would likely have made any replacement look good.

Interesting that 32 votes have been cast in the poll and none of them are for JD. They're fairly popular around here. We only ended up with ours because we won it in a 4H raffle - but I have been pretty happy with it. Then again the huge step up from the old Yardman would likely have made any replacement look good.

So you're the one vote for green! LOL I suppose your are correct, any color would probably make that old yardman look bad...lol I think anything that you like and does the job you have it for is OK with me regardless of color :)

View attachment 641271 View attachment 641272
My prediction is this is in your future. 60 inch deck and the 50 inch front blower. If I need to dig I'll use a skid loader.
The fit and finish beats the JD, controls are much more ergonomicly placed.
I was using a 72 inch zero turn to mow (4hrs). I'm a bit slower now, but making a 180 turn (backward 90 and forward 90) really surprised me.
I skiped over the last half of the pages, pissing match about a tractor compared to a 4wheeler wasn't interesting. Visit your dealers and watch a few youtube videos, you'll then be ready to buy what fits your intended use.
ohh, the 4x4 worked great this winter while blowing snow. They pack alot of tractor in a little package.

What did that cost?

I know I mentioned it previously, but I think a Kioti CK2510 would be an ideal size for the OP's situation. I think the BX sized machines would be better mowers, but that's about it. For the other tasks, logging, driveway grading, plowing snow, pulling laden trailers or wagons, etc. The bigger size and capability of the CK would really be evident quickly I think. I doubt there is any price difference. If anything I bet a CK can be had for less than a lot of the BX Kubota's.

Latest posts

Back