Compact or sub compact tractor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tractor brand recomendation

• Kubota

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • John Deere

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • New Holland

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Ls

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 10 14.7%

• Total voters
just for reference for the op. i bought the biggest "compact" tractor that New Holland had at the time TC 55DA 4 WD. roughly 55 HP. i wanted a bigger tractor but needed something that would fit in my barn to remove sheep fertilizer. :rolleyes: i also use it for plowing fields and snow. i have the ag tires. not the greatest for the lawn but i needed traction. my rear tires are fluid filled. i bought it with 4,000 lb. forks and a bucket. i have since added a rock bucket which works great for hauling firewood. oil and filters changed every 100 hours +/-. i had a friend call me sunday to come get a downed ash tree. he has a sub compact JD. 20 something HP. barely could drag the tree out. buy as big as your budget allows and get the attachments you think you might need. the quick attach system gives you a lot of options on stuff. good luck with your purchase. the only thing i wish i had was a cab WITH HEAT for blowing snow.

The tire load rating isn't changed. It's easy to damage light duty tires that are loaded actually since they don't have the air cushion.
I've seen tires blow apart from that.

Have to be careful with loaded to
I don't run a FEL and I was referring to the tires carrying more weight, not the tractor.

just for reference for the op. i bought the biggest "compact" tractor that New Holland had at the time TC 55DA 4 WD. roughly 55 HP. i wanted a bigger tractor but needed something that would fit in my barn to remove sheep fertilizer. :rolleyes: i also use it for plowing fields and snow. i have the ag tires. not the greatest for the lawn but i needed traction. my rear tires are fluid filled. i bought it with 4,000 lb. forks and a bucket. i have since added a rock bucket which works great for hauling firewood. oil and filters changed every 100 hours +/-. i had a friend call me sunday to come get a downed ash tree. he has a sub compact JD. 20 something HP. barely could drag the tree out. buy as big as your budget allows and get the attachments you think you might need. the quick attach system gives you a lot of options on stuff. good luck with your purchase. the only thing i wish i had was a cab WITH HEAT for blowing snow.

That's an odd LOF interval. Most of our equipment specs 250 or 300hrs (which is certainly playing it safe too)

That's an odd LOF interval. Most of our equipment specs 250 or 300hrs (which is certainly playing it safe too)
going by the book on oil changes. 100 hrs. hydraulics and front gear boxes are 600 hrs. ain't taking no chances as the boss says that's the last new one i get. so far so good in 11 years.

Must get hot in the sun down there?
It does effect my tires on my race quad. I run 11 lb's in the front and 9 in the rear. I have to be careful how I park it at the track. If one side is in the sun and the other side in the shade, it can make the pressure go up about 4/5 lb's in the one on the sunny side. Thats enough to make handling an issue.

I have one of those 20 year old sportsman 500 atvs and it will drag out a lot of stuff. It's all chained up at the moment and can do a good amount of work for its size. I'd hope which ever tractor I get will do more work than my atv or I'll be very disappointed. A compact tractor of 25 hp should be about 3 times the weight so hopefully that helps pulling stuff.

I have one of those 20 year old sportsman 500 atvs and it will drag out a lot of stuff. It's all chained up at the moment and can do a good amount of work for its size. I'd hope which ever tractor I get will do more work than my atv or I'll be very disappointed. A compact tractor of 25 hp should be about 3 times the weight so hopefully that helps pulling stuff.

I have race atv's so they don't pull very well. Even though I only have 2 wheel drive, I'm positive my little B5200 will drag that 500 all over the place. If it gets sketchy, I'll just push in the dif lock and that atv wouldn't stand a chance. I'm guessing that 500 is around 550/650lb's at best. My B5200 weighs in at 1050 dry. Water in the tires probably ads another 500 lbs.

A subcompact would outpull an ATV, never mind a compact.

A subcompact would outpull an ATV, never mind a compact.
I wouldn't bet on that one...

"MY" Yamaha Grizzly 600 in 4wd will out pull "MY" Kubota B6200 with MFWD that has one size bigger rubber off a B7200 on it. (ag tires)

There's no question about it... Maybe in some "special" circumstance it wouldn't, but in every day life it will and does...

SR

I wouldn't bet on that one...

"MY" Yamaha Grizzly 600 in 4wd will out pull "MY" Kubota B6200 with MFWD that has one size bigger rubber off a B7200 on it. (ag tires)

There's no question about it... Maybe in some "special" circumstance it wouldn't, but in every day life it will and does...

SR

I want to see a video of that. :)

Rob,
How is that possible when a 2wd garden tractor outpulls a 4wd 4 wheeler
Did you notice that when the 4-wheeler was in -------->4wd it pulled the garden tractor backwards???

Anyway, I don't use my tractor OR my Grizzly on pavement... Did you miss the part about REAL WORLD...

SR

Did you notice that when the 4-wheeler was in -------->4wd it pulled the garden tractor backwards???

Anyway, I don't use my tractor OR my Grizzly on pavement... Did you miss the part about REAL WORLD...

SR

So would a better "REAL WORLD" test be comparing them on dirt when the 4 wheeler has deep lugged tires and the tractor turfs meant for grass???

Here's another one. This is pretty comparable to today's subcompacts. Skip the first and second attempts as the tractor operator did not know what he was doing. Didnt even realize he was in 2wd, yet the quad still couldn't win. Go to 3:40 for a fair comparison. Notice although on gravel and the ATV having an obvious tire selection advantage for the type of turf, the weight and torque of the tractor was too much.

And please, no one come in and whine about the tractor having a blower on the front. The quad has a plow and its itty bitty winch couldn't handle picking up a real implement like a big snowblower.

Exactly, and it was a fairly even match.

How Rob can say his ATV would out pull his subcompact without ever actually hooking them up is odd.
DOH, where did I say I wouldn't hook them up??

AS I ALREADY said, MY 600 Grizzly WILL out pull my B6200 and I bet you MY B6200 will pull as much as a sub-com pact... That was and IS my point.

SR

Latest posts

Back