Damaged saw protocol?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sometimes rent my saws to professional loggers. The understanding is that if they totally wreck my saw (like run over it with a truck or whatever), they will buy me a new one. And that would be the owner of the logging company paying, not the employee who wrecked the saw.

If it was someone helping me do *my* work, then I would eat it.

It is your mistake - NEVER LOAN OUT YOUr CHAINSAW OR YOUR WIFE. THEY WILL BOTH GET RETURNED F####D

Hahaha. Never loan out your chainsaw, your wife is able to say no for herself.

In reality it dosen't really matter who tore up the saw, or how it happened.
The fact is that you own the saw, and ultimatly it's up to you whether it gets fixed or not.
Kinda hard I know, but all you can do is hope that this person is really your friend.

Andy

way to bust his balls FISH he just lost his new saw and not everybody that cuts down a tree needs to be a ISA certified arborist loaded down with PPE. I did have a chance to run that saw at the Michigan GTG and it cut like a molested ape. Tough break literally, hope every thing works out for the best and just remember a saw is easier to replace than a friend..

Wow!

I didn't bust them, I rubbed a little icy/hot in them, with a light massage....

Still trying to figure out your brainless post.

So what is your "brainless" take on the question at hand, other then
throwing a turd at me, then agreeing with me?
He asked our opinion, you jumped me, without leaving a response to his querie
just wanted to know, what is your problem?

The saw is easier to replace comment was touching, but contradicts
your attack on me,
so just whip out here your problem with me, please

YOU asked him if he wanted to use your saw.... So, I think the damage is on you. Now, if HE asked you to borrow the saw....then its on him...JMO

Exactly!!!!!! YOU put it out there him to use so YOU need to assume the cost incurred from opening your mouth.......Now if he is a real man he'll offer to pony up and reimburse the cost but if he doesn't you have no one to blame but yourself for running that pie hole.

way to bust his balls FISH he just lost his new saw and not everybody that cuts down a tree needs to be a ISA certified arborist loaded down with PPE. I did have a chance to run that saw at the Michigan GTG and it cut like a molested ape. Tough break literally, hope every thing works out for the best and just remember a saw is easier to replace than a friend..

No, rereading your crap, just what "IS" your point???????????

You obviously have an unseen agenda!

I must have peed on one of your parades in the past, sorry I don't
remember, I pee on so many.........................

I am going to change my icon, now, so you should be proud.........

Hunter has been gone for a while now, it is time to move on.................

actually fish I find many of your posts informative and entertaining I guess I jumped the gun with my comment but it bothers me that there are a select few that think they are the only ones who have a right to run a saw. There are many people on this site that heat with wood and read these posts for valued information but only get crapped on. The more experienced people on this site should offer advice to those who need it not just ridicule them for there inexperience. So great pumba that is my (brainless point)

it bothers me that there are a select few that think they are the only ones who have a right to run a saw. There are many people on this site that heat with wood and read these posts for valued information but only get crapped on. The more experienced people on this site should offer advice to those who need it not just ridicule them for there inexperience.

lol where's bob vila when ya need him

Simple really....

I have a simple two part rule.

If I borrow something and break it, I pay for it regardless of how much it costs. I never return equipment in worse shape than I borrow it. The other part is if I lend something and it gets broke I pay for it regardless of how much it costs.

I only lend stuff to people who know how to use it and I usually stand over their shoulder while they use my favorite tools.

Last edited:
Mate with tree biz , 066, blew up >then used one of his workers personal new (pride and joy ) ms 660 to fill in .HE blew that one up (new cost here $1700 au ) Pays employee \\\$300 compensation and buys the screwed MS (told my mate not good enough in front of the crew ).Hmmmm....sends old one for total rebuild ( $1100) ... 3 weeks later the rebuild does a couple of weeks work,with the crew, and is screwed for the second time.....he's making good dollars , shrugs ,goes out an buys another one for the biz...........
Moral of the story ......don't lend your saws.
If someone screws you or your saws,tell them what you want as compensation.Don't be agro just state it clear >If you work together I guess theres always intimidating factors but unless your straight up, it will at some stage effect your future relationship and in this case, saws .
He owes you a saw . Give him the rooted one to sell off
on ebay to cover some of his outlay for the new saw for you.
Good luck.
:chainsaw:

he blew the guys saw up and only gave him $300 for it?... must not been the guys day to kill 2 660's ( ok an 066 and an 660 ) thats an expensive day

Just out of curiosity, do you guys just cut firewood for some extra money?
Do either of you have any real experience felling standing trees?
What kind of protection gear do you all use?
Felling wedges? Any other gear?

Just curious.

This is my first year cutting while my friend is in his fourth year of cutting. We only cut for our own domestic use. I cut to help offset the high cost of propane which, threatens my ability to finance the ever increasing cost of tuition.

As for PPE, I wear boots, ear protection, gloves, and a hard hat when felling. I usually carry two plastic wedges and a sledge hammer. On this day, I brought the two wedges but only had a framing hammer.

It does take me a considerable amount of time to fell a tree as I look over the tree from four sides trying to determine how the weight of the top of the tree, and the lean of the trunk, will influence which direction it will fall. I then clear two escape paths and take out any small trees that may cause the tree to hang up. Next, I make my bottom cut and angled cut trying not to penetrate more than 1/3 of the total diameter of the tree, less if it is leaning. Lastly, I make a level back cut at about 3 inches from the top of my angle cut. I also try to look up as much as possible. When the tree starts to move, I try to shut off my saw while starting down one of the predetermined escape paths while, glancing back toward the tree. Sometimes it feels like it takes more time to fell the tree than to cut it up.

My friend is not nearly as cautious but somehow always manages to place the tree within five feet of his mark. In regards to the tree in question, I asked him where he intended to fell the tree, he pointed toward the south, this concerned me because there was a large branch on the north side coming off almost parallel to the ground. I remember commenting "wow if you can do that, you really are good." While he was making his back cut, the tree started to twist due to the counterweight action caused by the large branch on the north side. I yell out for him to "stop" but, he kept cutting until the saw was completely stuck. I tried to wedge the tree over however, due to his steep angled back cut, the wedges had little effect. In hindsight, I should have removed the bar from the saw and continued to fell the tree in a correct manner. Unfortunately, that thought never occurred to me yesterday. He thought he could cut the saw out. I wasn't sure how that would work and watched as he made cuts underneath the stuck bar. I now realize this was a bad idea, as the tree started to crack and slowly fall back toward the saw. It was my idea to abandon the saw, it can be replaced, we can't be. Of course, we already know the rest of the story, the tree crushed my saw.

I really wished I had thought about removing the bar from the saw as I have seen this mentioned on AS before.

I'm not sure what to expect, if anything, in the form of repayment. If I had damaged a friends saw, I would sell mine if I had to in order to cover the expense. Even though my friend and his wife, make about $12,000 more a year than my wife and I do, they never seem to have money. In fact, we were cutting on my parents property for him. I've already cut about 12 cords this year, by myself, for my use.

I'm good friends with the Solo's dealer son and he said I can get the parts at cost. If my friend won't help pay for the bill, I think I'll finish cutting up the trees and deliver the wood to my dealer. Heck, he might even knock off a little from my bill.

Tough break literally, hope every thing works out for the best and just remember a saw is easier to replace than a friend..

Wise words pinemartin and a good view on life. I'm going to accept blame on this one. I should have never let a person without the financial means to replace my saw use it. While, I would do everything possible to repay my friend if I had damaged his saw, including selling off some personal property, I know he would never do such a thing. I work with him one day a week and would like to maintain our friendship, especially during hunting season. So, I think I'll try to get the dealer to cover some of the cost in exchange for wood as he has an outdoor wood burner.

Thanks again for the great GTG, I can't wait until the next one.

Before I had my own log splitter.....My buddy kept insisting I use his splitter rather than split with a maul & axe (guess he felt sorry for me...LOL) Anyway, the second time I used it, it sucks a valve down and blows a hole right through the piston. The cylinder was fine (how who knows) but the head, valves, rockers, pushrods etc. were trashed......:censored:

I ended up paying 1/2 for the parts and helped rebuild it. I felt that was fair and so did he. If I ran it out of oil or dropped a tree on it (something ignorant) I would have sucked it up an been 100% responsible but it just decided to grenade on that day and he knew it could have just as easily been on his watch.

To this day we are still good friends and I see him practically every weekend.....:cheers:

I didn't read all of the responses yet, but here's how I look at this issue.

My log splitter is now being borrowed by a good friend, and he's a guy that does take care of stuff. He told me up front that he would pay for anything that he screws up. But I told him that if something just breaks in the normal course of use, even if the engine let go, that I would handle it, since the same thing would have happened if I was running it. But, if he dropped a big block of wood on the engine and busted it, then that was on him because it was his mistake.

So, I think that the guy who borrowed the saw and busted it up should be the one to pay. If the saw just toasted itself in the middle of the cut, then it's on the owner because it really didn't matter who was running it. But dropping a tree on it isn't much different than running it over with his truck.

The key difference in these examples is the distinction between the machine failing on it's own vs. a blunder by the operator causing the damage. The guy should step up because it was his fault, and not the saws'.

You offered it up.It's your baby.
A good friend would at least offer to go halves on parts.

At least you can consider it a lesson to never loan your good saws.

But man that still sucks...............my condolence's.

Best way to put it yet. You offered the loan, you were standing in the neighborhood.

Now, if he came over to you and begged for the saw, you loaned it to him and he wrecked it, different story. Your saw, you offered, you were there, your baby.

Mark

Dean0...There is a big difference in ASKING to borrow...and OFFERING to use a saw...When you offer, it's all on you! I wouldn't expect anything from my friend but it would be nice if he offered to pitch in for repairs.

Dean0...There is a big difference in ASKING to borrow...and OFFERING to use a saw...When you offer, it's all on you! I wouldn't expect anything from my friend but it would be nice if he offered to pitch in for repairs.

Good point!! I guess my judgment was slightly clouded since I haven't even made my first payment on the saw yet. I'm going to accept responsibility and pay to have the saw fixed.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I found a lot of wisdom and what each of you had to say.

Back