Dolmar 421, Stihl 250/251, 241 or 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl 250 or 251,241 or 261 or Dolmar 421

• Dolmar 421

• Stihl 251

• Stihl 250

• Stihl 241

• Stihl 261

Results are only viewable after voting.
I recently bought a MS250 and it is a great little saw . And a ell of a lot tougher than you think. And I just rechecked the specs on the MS261. A new one runs a Stihl 26 series Saw Chain which is .325 pitch . And the differance between the new pro and home and ranch saws is the pro models run a rim sprocket system. And have electronic fuel management. Along with alloy crank and tank covers. The larger farm&ranch models have adjustable oilers.

I have said before, that I know nothing about mechanics; but why does "it have to be a Stihl"? Weight and durability were really the two things I was looking for with power being the third (I have the 661 when I need power). Would it really be that difficult for a Stihl shop to work on a Dolmar?

That's just the Troll saying that if you are dedicated to Stihl, the 261 is a good choice. There are other options in that size saw, like the Husky 550xp. As for a dedicated Stihl shop working on Dolmar, they do not have parts for those saws in stock, or the parts lists or shop manuals for them. Also they cannot do warranty work on them. Generally most shops around here only work on the tool brands that they sell.

That's just the Troll saying that if you are dedicated to Stihl, the 261 is a good choice. There are other options in that size saw, like the Husky 550xp. As for a dedicated Stihl shop working on Dolmar, they do not have parts for those saws in stock, or the parts lists or shop manuals for them. Also they cannot do warranty work on them. Generally most shops around here only work on the tool brands that they sell.
That makes me feel very lucky our local Dolmar / Echo dealer works on all saws. Come to think of it the bulk of their repair work is Stihl and Husky. Hmmm sells Dolmar's and Echo's but repairs mainly stihl and husky. Must just be some odd coincidence.

That makes me feel very lucky our local Dolmar / Echo dealer works on all saws. Come to think of it the bulk of their repair work is Stihl and Husky. Hmmm sells Dolmar's and Echo's but repairs mainly stihl and husky. Must just be some odd coincidence.

Is there a relationship between Echo and Dolmar, or simply that your shop sells both?

Is there a relationship between Echo and Dolmar, or simply that your shop sells both?

No relationship there. Dolmar is owned by Makita, and there are teal Dolkita saws out there (mostly rented at Home Depot).

There are some shops out there than will work on anything.

Ported 241 ported the right way will top all thoso beside the 261 and 550 and they will both have their hands full. 241c is lighter than a 346xp

Ported 241 ported the right way will top all thoso beside the 261 and 550 and they will both have their hands full. 241c is lighter than a 346xp

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your viewpoint) the only husky experience I have had, is with the one my dad melted when I was a kid. To say small engines and he did not get along would be an understatement. So I have no point of reference for the 346xp comment.

Would the 241 be lighter than...... the Dolmar 421 (is it me or did this post just start to feel lysdexic?)

The 241 is a tad over 10lbs. Its lighter than the 421 but the 421 is a pro built saw also like the stihl 241c unlike the 250 or 251. It u want a light angry fast saw that cuts with rpm and torque get a oe346xp or a ne346xp and have it ported

The 241 is a tad over 10lbs. Its lighter than the 421 but the 421 is a pro built saw also like the stihl 241c unlike the 250 or 251. It u want a light angry fast saw that cuts with rpm and torque get a oe346xp or a ne346xp and have it ported

What exactly is "porting" and any clue what the $ ofor such a service would be? Why not have the Dolmar "ported"?

Porting is optimizing the compression and port timing of the cylinder for a 30 to 40% increase in cut times. Avg. Cost 300$ and the Dolmar is a fine saw to port also. There r dealers for any brand u choose on this site

The 241 is almost as expensive as a 261 though. Only a $40 difference here. You do not need a ported saw, especially with a 661 around. I would avoid getting sucked into that vortex.
But the 241 is way more nimble and lighter than a 261. Ive had both saws ported and stock and hands down the 241 is a better limb saw and will suprise u in 14" wood. As far as porting the saw windthrown a 241 ported correctly is like daylight/dark difference but I agree its not necessary

I have a 20 inch bar and 5 chains that fit the MS 661, and 2 chains for the 36 inch bar (I use the 36 inch to go hunting Osage Orange, aka the yellow death)

Isn't the 241/ 261 like $600-$700 dollar saws plus $300 for porting. Wow no wonder so many votes for the 421 at $330 even ported it would not be much more than either of the stihls stock.

Isn't the 241/ 261 like $600-$700 dollar saws plus $300 for porting. Wow no wonder so many votes for the 421 at $330 even ported it would not be much more than either of the stihls stock.

I have been thinking that for a while now, and trying to be helpful not rude (and because I have looked for a way to change or add the MS241 and MS261 to the poll) the two Stihl saws in the poll question are the Homeowner level saws not the professional saws that we have ended up talking about.

I have been thinking that for a while now, and trying to be helpful not rude (and because I have looked for a way to change or add the MS241 and MS261 to the poll) the two Stihl saws in the poll question are the Homeowner level saws not the professional saws that we have ended up talking about.
The 241c is also quad port and mtronics like your 661c. U gotta pay for new technology

Well like I said earlier I would have no problem owning and using any of the saws mentioned. Just if the money had do come from my wallet well it would be hard to pass over the 421. Just to emphasize my perspective I have a 024 with a scored piston and I am on the fence to either rebuild it or just buy the 421.

You can get a 261 from Canada now for around $500, shipped. They are on sale up there now and the CDN dollar is in the tank. I can point you toward someone to buy and send you one. The 261 is M-tronic as well. The new 261 has a completely new engine design (they are in production now).

Another thing to consider is that the 241 has a small mount bar, and the 661 bars and loops will not fit them. I flipped all my 026 and 260 saws to 3/8 standard and run the same B&C as my larger Stihls.

Latest posts

Back