Dolmar 421, Stihl 250/251, 241 or 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl 250 or 251,241 or 261 or Dolmar 421

• Dolmar 421

• Stihl 251

• Stihl 250

• Stihl 241

• Stihl 261

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well like I said earlier I would have no problem owning and using any of the saws mentioned. Just if the money had do come from my wallet well it would be hard to pass over the 421. Just to emphasize my perspective I have a 024 with a scored piston and I am on the fence to either rebuild it or just buy the 421.
If $$$ was an issue I would buy the 421 but it is on the heavy side

That just reverts back to the ease to maintain and work on the 421 no computer or programs needed just a screw driver.
Ill go with u on that one. Ive owned carb and electronic saws and work on them daily and port them and myself prefer the screwdriver

Sorry now I sound like a fan boy. Not my intention at all I will step out of the rest of this discussion.

Sorry now I sound like a fan boy. Not my intention at all I will step out of the rest of this discussion.
I like hearing others opinions compared to my experiences. 421,241c, 261c are all fine rides but a 346xp would be my pick

Y
But performance wise the 241 will blow the doors off both thoso. Have u cut with a 241c?
You are correct a 241 would eat them both up. I have not got to use the 241 much but I have an 024 ( more vibs) and it is a great saw. The 241 261 are good saws but they come at an extra cost.

Y

You are correct a 241 would eat them both up. I have not got to use the 241 much but I have an 024 ( more vibs) and it is a great saw. The 241 261 are good saws but they come at an extra cost.
Yes at 300$ a 421 is a no brainer. As a matter of fact most dolmars in all classes are better price points and also are bumped compression and good runners from the factory. But a 421 also needs work from the factory being in first order to strip the cat from the muffler and pull limiters on carb for a retune

Yah, I love my 361 saws. Both the 362 and the 261 were redesigned with swept back leaning jugs and a lower profile, and they are lighter with a tad more power. The 261 now sports 3.0 KW/4.1 HP, and the 362 will be 3.5/4.8 HP and slim down to 12.3 lb. They are both in production in Virginia and Germany, and being released in Canada and Germany now.

Yah, I love my 361 saws. Both the 362 and the 261 were redesigned with swept back leaning jugs and a lower profile, and they are lighter with a tad more power. The 261 now sports 3.0 KW/4.1 HP, and the 362 will be 3.5/4.8 HP and slim down to 12.3 lb. They are both in production in Virginia and Germany, and being released in Canada and Germany now.
What determines who stocks Virginia Beach or Germany saws?

What determines who stocks Virginia Beach or Germany saws?

Stihl policy, and I'm sure there are some politics and some marketing strategy behind it.

In the current "strato age", it it no longer looks like it makes any difference - the US saws no longer are "detuned" for EPA reasons.

Oh ya! That quad will be nice! The quads just seem to carry more torque to me

You are still taking about the Dolmar 421?

Yes at 300$ a 421 is a no brainer. As a matter of fact most dolmars in all classes are better price points and also are bumped compression and good runners from the factory. But a 421 also needs work from the factory being in first order to strip the cat from the muffler and pull limiters on carb for a retune

And what exactly are you talking about here ^ ^ (above).

Soooo, is there etiquette (look at me talking about etiquette to guys who probably go "Hey man you gona finish that beer or just leave it for the bears? Cause I'd finish it off for you").

Is there a way to approach a small engine shop, in such a way that it is MORE likely they let me work/learn mechanics from them?

IF weight is the only issue we would be talking echo 271 and stihl ms 150

Neither of these bothered me, as I pointed out before, the original (and current) Thread Headline is about the MS250 and MS251 which have not been mentioned in QUITE a while.

What surprised me, was that no one pointed out that I am out there lugging around a MS661. While I got to the point (with the 661) that I could use it all day long; the qualification was that I could use it all day long, just as long as everything I was cutting was below the height of my belly button, not only is holding the 661 above shoulder height a little on the unsafe side (IMOP), it is a really tough work out..... so use the 661 to get most thing within its reach but use a smaller Saw to do the limbing and bucking

Latest posts

Back