Ebay Shaft

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's why I don't ship out of the US, people feel like I'm ripping them off on the shipping.............you should have gotten an exact quote first....as for reporting it, what is there to report???

Reporting it?? That was someone elses idea i don't/won't do that simply because ebay isn't the best at handling request. I find it hard to believe that Canadapost is cheaper than USPS. I just shipped an 044 and it cost 34+ change US to Kentucky, another 044 went to New York and it was 30+ US. These were power heads only. What i won was a 162/61 Husky without side covers, power head only from LA, so maybe it is 50 US but i doubt it.

Last edited:
Is it the Canadian Govt charging the customs fee's?

Thanks,
Bob

Yes, on the way into canada. When it's going from there to the US, it's US customs collecting (which is hit and miss)

Somebody at the usps saw that as the dollar was getting weaker, more folks from other countries would be purchasing from us, and raised the rates. The new prices hardly seem fair (to the other countries) when you realize you are getting the same service that used to cost alot less.

To the OP, you probably are not getting ripped off, especially if the seller has US only in his auction but he agreed to send it to Ca for extra $$.

Yes, on the way into canada. When it's going from there to the US, it's US customs collecting (which is hit and miss)

Somebody at the usps saw that as the dollar was getting weaker, more folks from other countries would be purchasing from us, and raised the rates. The new prices hardly seem fair (to the other countries) when you realize you are getting the same service that used to cost alot less.

To the OP, you probably are not getting ripped off, especially if the seller has US only in his auction but he agreed to send it to Ca for extra $$.

Maybe not. As for US only, most sellers from the US don't put in that they'll ship to Canada, really because they don't need too the market on ebay this side of the world "IS THE US" which, is why ebay.ca is such a waste of time. Even if you query an item under ebay.ca it'll 90% of the time come up with the item for sale in the US and that is also why sellers in Canada will usually put "ships to US" because thats where the best bang for buck is going to happen and you can find the part you need.

Last edited:
If you feel the seller is high then check for yourself at usps.com

Here is a 17lb box $47.00/$44.65 online
http://ircalc.usps.gov/IntlMailServices.aspx?Country=10054&M=2&P=17&O=0&sd=1

Here is a 19lb box $50.50/$47.98
http://ircalc.usps.gov/IntlMailServices.aspx?Country=10054&M=2&P=19&O=0&sd=1

Here is a 21lb box $54.00/$51.30
http://ircalc.usps.gov/IntlMailServices.aspx?Country=10054&M=2&P=21&O=0&sd=1

As noted by many here USPS eliminated ground shipping out of the USA on May 14,2007. It really hurt my overseas shipping.

Shortly after the change I sold a Poulan saw to a fellow in Canada. I quoted him $42.00. He got very angry and disrepectful with me. I explained to him the change. I gave home the phone number of the postmaster. He said he had a Harley engine shipped from Florida for $16. He finally said ship it and refund the overcharge. I shipped it to him at $41.70 and refunded the 30 cents through paypal. He was happy and left positive feedback. I still have all the emails and the receipt.

Bill

On a side note I could probably send 10 saws up to Canada for $250-$300 but it would be by truck freight.

Bill

If you feel the seller is high then check for yourself at usps.com

Here is a 17lb box $47.00/$44.65 online
http://ircalc.usps.gov/IntlMailServices.aspx?Country=10054&M=2&P=17&O=0&sd=1

Here is a 19lb box $50.50/$47.98
http://ircalc.usps.gov/IntlMailServices.aspx?Country=10054&M=2&P=19&O=0&sd=1

Here is a 21lb box $54.00/$51.30
http://ircalc.usps.gov/IntlMailServices.aspx?Country=10054&M=2&P=21&O=0&sd=1

As noted by many here USPS eliminated ground shipping out of the USA on May 14,2007. It really hurt my overseas shipping.

Shortly after the change I sold a Poulan saw to a fellow in Canada. I quoted him $42.00. He got very angry and disrepectful with me. I explained to him the change. I gave home the phone number of the postmaster. He said he had a Harley engine shipped from Florida for $16. He finally said ship it and refund the overcharge. I shipped it to him at $41.70 and refunded the 30 cents through paypal. He was happy and left positive feedback. I still have all the emails and the receipt.

Bill

Thats unreal, the cost to ship is ridiculous. I would never be rude or disrespectful my family wasn't raised that way ( unless its an obvious shank job). I just wondered why so high and wanted some feedback (independent) which is why i came here. I did ask the seller why so high and i found the reasoning to be fair, and he offered to refund difference which, believe this if you want or not, the refund offer isn't inportant to me, if you charge me more than the actual shipping cost than be up front and say why, i would rather know than to be suckered and like i stated earlier i don't mind paying for packing and trip to post etc... I was upset at first and never thought it would be more to ship from the US than from Canada but i guess in these economic times goverments are trying to pad the coffers too.

So Canada to the US still has ground service, but not the US to other countries??? That is going to really wreck us Canadians buying anything from the US. Bummer... I notice that with Paypals online postage buying service, that they have removed the option of Expedited Surface parcel to the UK or anywhere else, I have to take the package in and get it done in the post office. SO I guess they are saying, WE,paypal don't want you using slow cheap shipping.

Dave.

Dave,

We have not had any USPS surface/ground shipping out of the USA since May 2007. It stinks. I had one whale of a time getting a couple 2 man Mall saws shipped to the Netherlands last year.

Bill

Hey Bill that is a real pain, I had a guy from Northern Ireland ask if he could get a 7 foot bar mailed to me from the US that he bought on ebay,then have me mail it to him, since the seller did not want to send it to him. I have already sold this guy an 090G, so he asked about the bar. Unfortunately it was too big for me to ship. But the costs to airmail big heavy items is a killer.

On another note Bill, ever see much of the PM Universal chainsaw, I have one in parts, and just figured out what it was, looks very weird in pieces.

Dave.

Last edited:
I had a Yamaha FZR 600 engine shipped here (coastal Oregon) from San Antonio via UPS 'Hundredweight' shipping a month ago, it was $151.93. I think the packaged weight was right around 173 lbs.

So Canada to the US still has ground service, but not the US to other countries??? That is going to really wreck us Canadians buying anything from the US. Bummer... I notice that with Paypals online postage buying service, that they have removed the option of Expedited Surface parcel to the UK or anywhere else, I have to take the package in and get it done in the post office. SO I guess they are saying, WE,paypal don't want you using slow cheap shipping.

Dave.

Up to 4 pounds (there are size limits) can be shipped "first class international" through usps and it's pretty reasonable, it's just when you get over 4 lbs. and have to use "priority mail international" that it gets expensive... and... usps air packages (priority, express) are flown by UPS and Fed-Ex, so when their rates go up usps has to raise their prices accordingly, thats why they had the increase on some services a few days ago.

Last edited:
Talked to the U.S. post office just over the border in Sweetgrass Montana the other day. Inquired about renting a U.S. PO box. The guy said that over 70% of the boxes were rented by Canadians. It's just cheaper to have the parcel shipped to the border and take a trip to get it, than it is to get it shipped to your door. The catch is, you have to use USPS. They will not accept UPS or Fed EX at the post office(something about the competition).
Just to add another, was quoted $27U.S. for shipping on a 12" NOS bar from the States to Canada. Within the lower 48 it was $9.95

I got one of those grinders from Northern Tool recently. Shipping was $35 US via UPS. Package arrived in amazingly good condition, nothing torn up. Think it was 17lbs. Good thing the grinder was cheap to start with so I didn't mind the shipping so much.

What about shipping prices to and from Alaska?

Here are some quotes from Illinois City Illinois to Anchorage Alaska. I used a box size of 16"x16"x16"

17lbs Parcel Post $21.81 Priority $45.50/$43.44 (online)
http://postcalc.usps.gov/MailServic...6&G=0&MailingDate=1/21/2009&MailingTime=17:00

19lbs Parcel Post $23.32Priority $45.50/$43.44 (online)
http://postcalc.usps.gov/MailServic...6&G=0&MailingDate=1/21/2009&MailingTime=17:00

21lbs Parcel Post $24.75 Priority $45.50/$43.44 (online)

You will notice the Priority Price stayed the same but there was only a 4lb spread. When you go to 30lbs it is Parcel Post $30.48 Priority$57.10 /$54.50(online). I just checked going out of Oregon to Alaska is $26.97, $44.90 and $42.64.

Bill

Back