Ebay Shaft

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure you can name couriers here but they are all obligated to go through customs so if you buy from the US, find out if the seller will ship USPS and get a shipping quote, ( remember its a "quote") actual cost could be abit different but should not be outrageous. I appreciate all US sellers even if they won't ship to me but i always ask first, if it isn't in the listing.

I'll be damned if I can't complain about bad service. Free speech.

Is it the Canadian Govt charging the customs fee's?

Thanks,
Bob

The government only charges duty on items over a certain value and which fall into certain categories. It's the same thing they charge if I were to drive across the border and bring back a bunch of stuff. The charge is to somewhat compensate for the sales taxes I would be avoiding by not buying within Canada, and you are allowed a few hundred dollars duty-free generally, so no problem. UPS charges over $30 no matter WHAT the value or size of the package is, in my experience and as repeated by others above. For instance, I bought a $700 Canon lens directly from Hong Kong a couple years ago when I would have paid about $1000 here in North America. I had it shipped FedEx, and while that wasn't very cheap, they only charged me about $19 in duty and border fees. So UPS is gouging, period. I have lost out of a few auctions because the seller was unwilling to use anything but UPS. I don't understand that, I'm paying the shipping so what's the difference?

As for the postal service, I just sent an 066 & bar over the border and it cost me a little over $60 for postage at the basic rate (called "Expedited Parcel"). The "Express Parcel" was about 50% more. Maybe our postal service is also eliminating ground international? I had been unaware of that elimination with USPS, but it makes sense as I've been noticing shipping prices rising drastically recently.

Last edited:
The way I figure it

after being burned a couple of times on e-bay shipping is if I don't ask the question ahead of time and get a specific answer it's my own fault. Doesn't help to get mad over it as there isn't a whole lot to be gained.

I usually try to get a dialogue going with the seller ahead of time and this helps a bit to judge who I'm dealin' with.

Back