Ethanol-free fuel now prohibited in Canada's gas stations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, for the first time ever, I got on one of those AI sites.

If you have been using ChatGPT, your answer and formulas are almost certainly wrong. I've been playing with that AI website for some time now, and I don't think I've given it a complex math problem that it has solved correctly. Not once, not yet. When shown to be wrong, it admits it's error, and makes up another lie.

Example from just yesterday. According to ChatGPT: (I added the bold text as a highlight)

"... the corrected density of the $100 bills is approximately 793.67 grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm³). This is significantly higher than the density of uranium-238, which is approximately 19.1 g/cm³. Therefore, US currency, in this specific scenario, would have a density that is much greater than uranium-238. However, this result is due to the specific assumptions and calculations made for the volume and weight of the currency."​
Upon challenge after challenge, it wouldn't re-think it's errors, and figure out the correct answer.
I said:
"Ok. You have done the math, and we clearly have made a mistake somewhere, since us currency is not more dense than uranium. Find the mistake."​
Chat GPT replied:
"(more mistakes repeated...)​
So, the corrected density of the $100 bills is approximately 379.62 grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm³). This is much less dense than uranium-238, which has a density of approximately 19.1 g/cm³. Therefore, US currency is not more dense than uranium, and the earlier mistake was in the calculation of the volume of the currency. Thank you for your patience, and I apologize for any confusion caused by the initial response.​

I replied: "So you told me that the corrected density of the $100 bills is approximately 379.62 grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm³) and that this is much less dense than uranium-238, which has a density of approximately 19.1 g/cm³. This is a lie."

Then it coughed up some fabricated numbers without showing any math that would have had US currency floating higher than a cork on water. After I accused it of making up numbers, it pretended to see it's error, and recalculated incorrectly AGAIN. Then I told it was wrong, it apologized and recaclculated to yet another erroneous conclusion, proving that US currency was about 20 times heavier than uranium.

I replied with this: "I see that your programming will lie rather than resolve a disparity in facts. Which it answered with an apology and a detailed explanation about how it's answers are always an attempt at reaching a true answer. Effectively, a denial.

Without my extensive correction and coaching, that artificial intelligence website was completely unable to calculate the size and weight of $400,00 dollars. Getting answers out of ChatGPT is far less reliable than asking the same question here at this website. Some of the answers might be wrong, but at least some of them will also be brilliantly correct.

Now I have not yet attempted to determine the true math concerning octane rating and ethanol percentage, but I have every confidence that ChatGPT got it wrong, if that was the source of your information.

What it gave you was a simple volumetric interpolation method that presumes that octane rating has a linear relationship to the alcohol concentration in gas, which I rather doubt. As soon as I saw your figures, I thought that it looked wrong, but it did make a certain amount of sense. It also does not attempt to compensate for the volume loss when alcohol is dissolved into gasoline, nor does that formula seem to allow for the maximum solubility of alcohol attainable of an ethanol solution in gasoline. They simply are not completely miscible at all concentrations.

And a really dedicated moonshiner would be able to distill that water extract and make some fine hooch with it. They would need to pay close attention to the distillation temperatures, as it seems likely to have a good deal more wood alcohol mixed in with the ethanol.
The extract smells bad and tastes worse, I think there are some nasty factions that come along with the ethanol, can't drink it but it makes good window cleaner or weed killer.
As of last week, my local Shell station still had alcohol free premium in its pumps.

Back