Ethanol Free Gas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAWoodsman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A local auto shop sells 98 octane ethanol free gas. Im curious if this mixed with 2 stroke oil is the same as the pre mixed stuff I can buy in stores?

Is this gas from a pump or just race gas in a can? If it’s economically reasonable you should just buy a gallon or two and try it.

Is this gas from a pump or just race gas in a can? If it’s economically reasonable you should just buy a gallon or two and try it.
Its race gas that he sells for various purposes.
If i go this route, my Echo calls for 50:1. Any suggestions on which oil to use?

I've been using non E for 8 years in my B&S 24hp lawn mower bought in 2005. Got 562 hours on it today and it runs great. I have a 2003 Yamaha F-90 outboard that I put a water separator filter on it in 2008 while I was using ethanol gas. Had to replace the filter every year and it was a pain to do it. I removed the filter 6 years ago and switched to non E and it cranks and runs better than it ever did before. I've have a Stihl MS291 20" bought a year after they first were sold and it's never had ethanol. It and it cranks on the third pull every time and runs like scalded dog.

Is it as good as the canned stuff? I dont mind mixing my own if its as good as the canned stuff.
Depends on how often you use your equipment.

If that's monthly, ethanol gas is as good as the canned stuff.

If that's every 6-12 months, non ethanol pump gas is as good as the canned stuff.

1year +, stick with the canned stuff.

Even monthly, ethanol gas is horrible. It is hard on rubber parts and evaporates very fast leaving residue.

I would run either the ethanol free near you, look up another station for 91 E0 on pure-gas.org, or buy the premixed from the store.

Just be aware, in some states, MA in particular, any listing on Pure-Gas.org for E0 is NOT at a pump, unless it's leaded 100LL av-gas at an airport. That stuff is VERY expensive - average around here is $6.51 a gallon, then you have to deal with lead fouling with another expensive additive (TCP). Every other listing is canned fuel.

I don't believe there is an actual law on the books here preventing E0 from being sold at the pump, but I'm certain that the states convoluted and confusing laws on EVERYTHING have created that fear - nobody wants to be the guinea pig, and get their business account LEVELED by the state. That's how this state gets around unconstitutional laws - they just gin up rumors and fear, and all the sheep corral themselves.

I take a barrel up north, or to NY, and fill up with E0 every 1.5 - 2 years. The barrel isn't vented, so with a water separating filter on a Fill-Rite pump, I was able to run regular E10 in that barrel with a few bottles of Amsoil Quickshot mixed in, for a year with no bad effects. Now it's a dedicated E0 barrel. Life is SO much easier on E0 !

Just be aware, in some states, MA in particular, any listing on Pure-Gas.org for E0 is NOT at a pump, unless it's leaded 100LL av-gas at an airport. That stuff is VERY expensive - average around here is $6.51 a gallon, then you have to deal with lead fouling with another expensive additive (TCP). Every other listing is canned fuel.

I don't believe there is an actual law on the books here preventing E0 from being sold at the pump, but I'm certain that the states convoluted and confusing laws on EVERYTHING have created that fear - nobody wants to be the guinea pig, and get their business account LEVELED by the state. That's how this state gets around unconstitutional laws - they just gin up rumors and fear, and all the sheep corral themselves.

I take a barrel up north, or to NY, and fill up with E0 every 1.5 - 2 years. The barrel isn't vented, so with a water separating filter on a Fill-Rite pump, I was able to run regular E10 in that barrel with a few bottles of Amsoil Quickshot mixed in, for a year with no bad effects. Now it's a dedicated E0 barrel. Life is SO much easier on E0 !
$6.51/gal ain't bad for 100LL when you consider E10 pump premium is ~$5/gal now.

Mix with 100LL stored in a capped metal can lasts about forever. I mix up a few gallons then store the mix in 1-gal Coleman fuel cans. The lead only is a health issue for me if I'm doing a lot of cutting, then I'll use premium E0. I'm also careful to wear gloves if working on the fuel system.

Stewarts in Vt and NY carry E0 premium.

I've been done with E10 in ALL small equipment, 2- and 4-stroke since I had to start rebuilding carbs that ran perfect for years pre-E10. Finding snot-like substances inside the carbs and sometimes corrosion of aluminum parts.........

Just started using Esso Premium 99+ (no ethanol) in my saw and brushcutters. No problems. I will recalibrate my 362c when I figure out the process!
A gent on here said it’s only ethanol free if supplied from the UK Esso Southampton depot.

Non ethanol fuel in any octane rating is good for all your power equipment. The reason is because it doesn’t absorb water from the atmosphere like fuel with ethanol. Fuel with ethanol is great for cars and such that run thru a lot of fuel quickly. It doesn’t have time to collect any water to cause any damage. Plus if water gets in the gas, to some extent it will be absorbed and “burned” with the ethanol.
In power equipment, with tiny sensitive carburetors, that sometimes sit for months between usages, the ethanol has time to collect water and after the gas evaporates in that tiny carb the water remaining causes corrosion. If the equipment is used daily it won’t hurt it and I’m not sure if you’d notice a performance difference or not. But the key here is usage.
That’s my take on it.

Looks like its 90$ for 5Gal. So about 20-21$ per gal with the oil. Which is 4-5$ cheaper per gallon than the Canned stuff.

Back