Ethanol Free Gas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy 89 octane E0 at a farm store 14 miles away. works better than the local E10 fuels. I mix it 50:1 with Echo Red Armor. My 2 strokes run better on the Red Armor than they did on the Stihl silver bottle stuff.

Looks like its 90$ for 5Gal. So about 20-21$ per gal with the oil. Which is 4-5$ cheaper per gallon than the Canned stuff.
Have any boat marinas near you? They sell non ethanol gasoline. How many gallons of gas do you use in small engines every year? Anything above 89 octane is not necessary, lack of ethanol is the key, how much you use yearly will determine the most logical method of purchase.

$6.51/gal ain't bad for 100LL when you consider E10 pump premium is ~$5/gal now.

Mix with 100LL stored in a capped metal can lasts about forever. I mix up a few gallons then store the mix in 1-gal Coleman fuel cans. The lead only is a health issue for me if I'm doing a lot of cutting, then I'll use premium E0. I'm also careful to wear gloves if working on the fuel system.

Stewarts in Vt and NY carry E0 premium.

I've been done with E10 in ALL small equipment, 2- and 4-stroke since I had to start rebuilding carbs that ran perfect for years pre-E10. Finding snot-like substances inside the carbs and sometimes corrosion of aluminum parts.........
It's not any health issues I'm worried about. Running anything outdoors isn't going to be that big of a factor on my health (I have asthma, too). The main concern is lead fouling of the exhaust port, piston crown, transfer ports, and spark plug. Additional maintenance I don't want to deal with when I can just travel a few extra miles and get lead-free E0. You can run TCP to avoid the lead fouling issues, but that stuff is $70 a quart last I checked. It goes a long way, but still - E0 is cheaper, AND has none of those issues. I can keep E0 in decent condition for over 3 years in my air tight barrel.

Yeah Stuart's premium is where I get E0 when I'm in NY. I didn't know they were in VT, though! I appreciate the info on that! Good to know. đź‘Ť

A local auto shop sells 98 octane ethanol free gas. Im curious if this mixed with 2 stroke oil is the same as the pre mixed stuff I can buy in stores?
Ethanol is NOT the problem with modern fuels. It is just alcohol. The other chemicals in the fuel IS THE ISSUE. Ethanol is just a simple easy target. Look into the content of fuel. I’ll post chemical breakdown graphs if any one wants to offer a counterpoint. Ethanol is not what kills our mini carbs. PERIOD.

Ethanol is NOT the problem with modern fuels. It is just alcohol. The other chemicals in the fuel IS THE ISSUE. Ethanol is just a simple easy target. Look into the content of fuel. I’ll post chemical breakdown graphs if any one wants to offer a counterpoint. Ethanol is not what kills our mini carbs. PERIOD.
Reckon I'd like to see the graphs. I've never had a problem from ethanol gas myself.

Ethanol in fuel makes moisture combine with the Petrochemicals. And then gets burned off. Aka. Dry gas. . . Boats use ethanol free fuel BECAUSE THEY HAVE WATER SEPARATORS. Diesels the same. Ethanol is not the problem with our small engines. I fix as many small engines drinking the preciousness fuel as all regulars.

Ethanol LOVES water. It continuously absorbs it from the air around it, until it can no longer hold it, at which time the alcohol/water mix falls to the bottom of your fuel tank, right where your carburetor feed is. It corrodes metal tanks, and corrodes carburetor components. It can also result in a lean fuel mixture that'll melt engines down when users aren't aware of the signs. That to me IS a BIG problem.

A hydroscopic fluid should NOT be part of our gasoline!

It's not any health issues I'm worried about. Running anything outdoors isn't going to be that big of a factor on my health (I have asthma, too). The main concern is lead fouling of the exhaust port, piston crown, transfer ports, and spark plug. Additional maintenance I don't want to deal with when I can just travel a few extra miles and get lead-free E0. You can run TCP to avoid the lead fouling issues, but that stuff is $70 a quart last I checked. It goes a long way, but still - E0 is cheaper, AND has none of those issues. I can keep E0 in decent condition for over 3 years in my air tight barrel.

Yeah Stuart's premium is where I get E0 when I'm in NY. I didn't know they were in VT, though! I appreciate the info on that! Good to know. đź‘Ť
Lead does not foul a two stroke much if at all.
It is terrible for your health, even when used outside in a chainsaw.

Just be aware, in some states, MA in particular, any listing on Pure-Gas.org for E0 is NOT at a pump, unless it's leaded 100LL av-gas at an airport. That stuff is VERY expensive - average around here is $6.51 a gallon, then you have to deal with lead fouling with another expensive additive (TCP). Every other listing is canned fuel.

I don't believe there is an actual law on the books here preventing E0 from being sold at the pump, but I'm certain that the states convoluted and confusing laws on EVERYTHING have created that fear - nobody wants to be the guinea pig, and get their business account LEVELED by the state. That's how this state gets around unconstitutional laws - they just gin up rumors and fear, and all the sheep corral themselves.

I take a barrel up north, or to NY, and fill up with E0 every 1.5 - 2 years. The barrel isn't vented, so with a water separating filter on a Fill-Rite pump, I was able to run regular E10 in that barrel with a few bottles of Amsoil Quickshot mixed in, for a year with no bad effects. Now it's a dedicated E0 barrel. Life is SO much easier on E0 !
I go to the Sunoco in Keene on Winchester St for E-0 when I have other business up there. Going today.

I also have never had a problem with E10. I have run it for as long as we had it in Wisconsin and thta likely is going on 25 yrs. I let it sit for months , and no problems, EVER. Everyone sais it absorbs water. It cant absorb water if you fill a gas can full and seal it. There will be no water in it and likely none in the gas. I ran a Stihl trimmer since 2005 and I just had to put a new carb on it. Some may say I woudl not have had the problem had I used non Ethonal, I suppose thats possible, however, I suspect had I used non eth. 90 octane, would I still have a carb problem. Truth is , I should have emptied it every fall , or even every time I am done using it. Cant blame the ethonal I guess. If there is a question on how old the E10 is, I put the little bit in my car. Ga sis $4.00 here again, and a 2 oz. dose of Amsoil Saber at $12.50 qt. brings it up another .80 cents. So, I am still under 5 bucks a gallon. At $20 a gallon for the canned stuff does not make a bit of sense to me to pay an extra $15 a gallon more for a gallon of gas. I can however run the non eth. 90 octane for about $6.00 a gallon with the mix in it. Still , not bad . I car run my Stihll 441 a LONG time on a gallon of gas . It took about 3 or 4 gallons to cut 21 face cords,,,, or 7 cords and used 4 different saw to do it.. (Those Echos use more gas than my Stihls by the way.) If I am done cutting wood, I can put it right into the wood splitter cause splitting comes next. If I have some when done splitting, the trimmer is next. . Even after several months the gas is fine. Keep the caps on tight and in a dry spot and you will likely never get water in your gas. Now, the next thing I am told is there is water in the gas already. No there isn't, or so little it willl never matter . I had a diesel that ran like crap. I told the gas station owner there is water in the diesel . He quickly said, there is not water in my diesel. They have has sensors in the tanks that will light up if there is. Also, like one poster said, people think they are getting non E and they are not getting non E. if there is not a seperate hose. for all 3 grades. I know full well if the last dude, or chick filled with E10, the next gallon will have some E10 in it.

Any power equipment that has a vented fuel system is susceptible to fuel phase separation when using ethonal fuel especially in spring and fall with the wide temperature swings. Tank and fuel cools at night sucks in air during the day it warms and vents this cycle happens over and over . It's not a problem in new cars as the system is sealed to outside air. All my carbed vehicles get non ethonal as does all my power equipment .

Back