Ethanol Free Gas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually leaded gas and lead in general was/is absolutely the devil. It causes developmental delays, lowered IQ, causes heart and kidney issues and brain damage. Banning it in paint and gas has definitely made a positive impact on the health and well being of the population. Especially children.
As for your autism "facts"... Rates of autism are increasing dramatically because of increased awareness and screening, better access to healthcare and broadened diagnostic criteria.
Please take a few minutes to read this. It is a good resource to help you understand autism. https://www.medicinenet.com/why_is_autism_increasing_dramatically/article.htm
I'm headed to the airport for 2-gal of 100LL........

I run non ethanol in chainsaws, weed eaters, lawn mowers, blower, and a boat. I buy about 150 gallons a year or more. We cut 10-15 acres weekly 9-10 months out of the year. Stuff is pricey.

I run non ethanol in chainsaws, weed eaters, lawn mowers, blower, and a boat. I buy about 150 gallons a year or more. We cut 10-15 acres weekly 9-10 months out of the year. Stuff is pricey.
Consider using Sta-Bil 360 Marine in regular. It keeps the ethanol from doing ethanol stuff and is much more economical. I used it several years in my business and had zero carb related issues. The large bottle treats 280 gallons for about $20.

I have used Stabil for years too but I put it in non ethanol gas. I am wondering how adding one chemical (the Stabil) can eliminate the effects of another (the ethanol). Sounds like advertising hype to me. I have a hard time seeing how adding Stabil would stop the ethanol from absorbing water and going into phase seperation. Ethanol is also famous for dissolving some fuel lines and causing degradation of some metals in carbs.
Since we seem to have some folks knowledgeable in chemistry and such on here I would like to hear your input on these issues.

I have used Stabil for years too but I put it in non ethanol gas. I am wondering how adding one chemical (the Stabil) can eliminate the effects of another (the ethanol). Sounds like advertising hype to me. I have a hard time seeing how adding Stabil would stop the ethanol from absorbing water and going into phase seperation. Ethanol is also famous for dissolving some fuel lines and causing degradation of some metals in carbs.
Since we seem to have some folks knowledgeable in chemistry and such on here I would like to hear your input on these issues.
Not regular Sta-Bil, the 360 Marine was made specifically to neutralize ethanol in expensive to repair outboard engines.

1670678495860.jpeg

For guys who go through a good amount of fuel in small engines it makes a lot of sense. I no longer use it in 2 cycle mix as I’m not using gallons per week any longer, I use 90 E0. I do still use it in my ATV, Z-Master and power washer. Still never had one stop up using it.

I stopped using the stuff 21 years ago when it fouled a spark plug in a 4-cylinder motorcycle I was trying to sell. I found just shutting the fuel switch off and running the carbs dry (or draining them if accessible) worked every bit as well. But for diaphragm carburetors, I was always better off just leaving the fuel in them. My weedwhacker, saw, and paramotor used to start right up every spring using E10 with no additives. The key is making sure caps are tight, not only on your fuel cans, but also on the equipment fuel tanks. E10 gas can last up to a year if you can store it air tight.

Now I just use E0 in everything, and don't have to worry. My saw started 18 months after its last use. Took a few pulls, but once it fired it ran fine. The more you use your equipment, the less need there is for additives. Waste of money if you're constantly using the fuel, IMO.

I stopped using the stuff 21 years ago when it fouled a spark plug in a 4-cylinder motorcycle I was trying to sell. I found just shutting the fuel switch off and running the carbs dry (or draining them if accessible) worked every bit as well. But for diaphragm carburetors, I was always better off just leaving the fuel in them. My weedwhacker, saw, and paramotor used to start right up every spring using E10 with no additives. The key is making sure caps are tight, not only on your fuel cans, but also on the equipment fuel tanks. E10 gas can last up to a year if you can store it air tight.

Now I just use E0 in everything, and don't have to worry. My saw started 18 months after its last use. Took a few pulls, but once it fired it ran fine. The more you use your equipment, the less need there is for additives. Waste of money if you're constantly using the fuel, IMO.
No power equipment has sealed fuel systems . They are vented to the outside atmosphere. Warm days they vent out cold days they suck in air.
Your right if you are using your equipment on a daily or weekly basis you will be fine . You can wash ethonal fuel by adding water in a container and letting the water ethanol to sink. I'm lucky as there are several stations that sell E free 91 octane gas

Yes, obviously, or they wouldn't run. 😁 I was talking fuel storage. Keep it air tight and it'll last up to and over a year. I've done it.

Yeah, you guys are lucky. Any time I get out to NY, I hit Stuarts Shops for their E0 premium. MA doesn't even do this! Can't get it at any pump outside of an airport, which is 100LL. Nozzle won't fit any car built the last 40+ years. The lead would destroy the catalytic converter anyway, so it's just as well. Great for small engines, but it's much more expensive than regular E0, and eventually you'll have to deal with lead buildup or fouling, unless you use some expensive TCP additive regularly. Also, keep in mind many homeowner O P E units have converters on them now ...

I hear some marinas along the coast have E0, but plan on paying big $$$. The distance and b/s I'd have to deal with traffic wise going there, I might as well head north and get it cheaper and more conveniently.

Here for 90 Efree is only like a dollar more per gallon, then e gas. I will gladly pay a dollar more a gallon for my boat, gen, o p e.

Matter fact need to go see how much it is now as I need some more.

Lowest Efree I seen was in KY at 87.

Old pic

efree90.jpg

Our closest station has 93 octane non ethanol gas. I think they also have it at the local drag strip in the Summer. I don't know of an airport around here that sells it. The man I used to buy it from told me that anyone can get non e gas but they have to ask for it and put it in a separate pump, I guess nobody else has asked..

I buy 91 ethanol free for saws. Not sure on the min octane needed.
For years I ran regular E10 87 octane in all my 2-stroke stuff. Never had an issue aside from carbs clogging after they sat.

This is hugely area dependent. That wouldn't work around here.
Yeah, the West coast has THE WORST gasoline in the world. I fueled up my '84 XL350R with premium at a Circle K in CA. Carbs clogged up after just a month parked back home! Absolute garbage gasoline. Even SMELLED strange!!

Our closest station has 93 octane non ethanol gas. I think they also have it at the local drag strip in the Summer. I don't know of an airport around here that sells it. The man I used to buy it from told me that anyone can get non e gas but they have to ask for it and put it in a separate pump, I guess nobody else has asked..
Most airports sell it, but you have to talk to the airport manager, or someone working there first.

Back