Non-Ethanol Gas Station in CT?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanG13

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone know where there is a non-ethanol gas station in CT? I am near New Haven. I found a website that lists a bunch of stations but they are all chainsaw shops that sell pre-mixed gas or gas stations that don’t sell non-ethanol gas when I call them.

0c9185cba856fdd0f7a9705412fc39e7.jpg

I'm surprised there aren't more marinas shown selling it along LI Sound. Around here in VA, every marina sells 89 octane non-ethanol gas.

ETA: Never mind -- I couldn't believe there were only 2 non-ethanol gas stations in CT, looks like there are more than 30 here:

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CT
Issue I was having is I actually started calling those places and many of them done actually sell non ethanol, or it’s a chainsaw shop selling pre-mixed gas. I’ll try and check out a marina Thanks

Issue I was having is I actually started calling those places and many of them done actually sell non ethanol, or it’s a chainsaw shop selling pre-mixed gas. I’ll try and check out a marina Thanks
If the pure-gas website is wrong they encourage you to report it. They would also like to know about any new stations to add to the list.

Been down this road. ETHO free is almost impossible to find in NE. You can get it at some stations but it is usually sold in a 5 gal can, not at the pump, octane may vary and you will pay a premium. You might as well buy tru fuel or the like at a home center if you don’t burn much mix. The only pump I have found in the northern NE is at a small airport. Not worth the hassle or the drive.

Been running 10% ETOH since corn fuel came out in all my stuff and it has never let me down. Use premium at 50:1 synthetic oil. I have started saws that had 5 year old mix sitting in them and they ran without issues. Lot of “Boogiee Man” hype about the ETOH but in the real world it works just fine.

Been running 10% ETOH since corn fuel came out in all my stuff and it has never let me down. Use premium at 50:1 synthetic oil. I have started saws that had 5 year old mix sitting in them and they ran without issues. Lot of “Boogiee Man” hype about the ETOH but in the real world it works just fine.
I simply don't believe this.

Been down this road. ETHO free is almost impossible to find in NE. You can get it at some stations but it is usually sold in a 5 gal can, not at the pump, octane may vary and you will pay a premium. You might as well buy tru fuel or the like at a home center if you don’t burn much mix. The only pump I have found in the northern NE is at a small airport. Not worth the hassle or the drive.

Stewarts shops in NY and Vt carry non-E premium

If you don't mind the lead 100LL at airports. Much higher quality than car gas.

Corn fuel has screwed up the carbs in much of my small equipment. Stuff that ran 30 years without a problem. Tractors mowers rototillers........... I'd rather spend a little more on fuel than rebuild carbs or have stuff not run. No E-10 goes in any of my 2-strokes unless it's getting used the same day.

About the only thing E-10 hasn't screwed up is my 9N tractor.

When I lived in Maryland I had to travel 20+ miles to find a pump. In N.C. I have over 40 pumps within 20 miles.

I simply don't believe this.
The fuel may evaporate or degrade but the oil does not. A good coat of oil will remain protecting the carb. I been using 10% ETOH since it came out in everything. I own a fleet (like 20+) of 2 stroke saws from ms200 to 3120. I even run it in my boat. Ford PCM 351 with a big honkin’ holly 4 barrel. No problems. Your mileage may vary. You can believe what you want but you need to actually test it to get some data. I still have the ms361 sitting with 7+ year old fuel in it. I probably should drag it out and see what it can do.

You can believe what you want but you need to actually test it to get some data.
I have tested it, and cleaned out and replaced too many carbs to believe you.

Definitely do what works for you, but my experience is that ethanol gasoline smells noticeably different in a month, runs different in less than six months, and after a year will require carb rebuilding or replacement. 5+ years old and it's got more in common with sour milk than gasoline, not even flammable anymore.

Non ethanol premium with a double dose of Stabil smells a little different, and still runs fine after two years. I don't plan to store it any longer than that.

Just fired up the mighty Shindiawa T-27. Sat all winter in an unheated shop with a tank full of (wait for it) 10% ETOH fuel. Hit second pull and ran like a champ. Touched off the FS-130R. Same scenario cept it hit first pull. Same story for the FS-250 and FS-250R. I just don’t know what I am doing wrong. These machines have not been used in almost eight months. They should all need new carbs and have tanks full of orange juice jones.

Years ago, I bought into the ETOH boogeyman hype. I used to dump out fuel and run things dry for storage but one year I forgot to drain a trimmer and it sat all winter with a tank full of ethanol fuel. In the spring I discovered the error. Horrified, I dumped the fuel out expecting to see milk and honey, layers of separation, ungodly smells etc. To my astonishment, none of that occurred. Further, the fuel I dumped out looked and smelt better than the fresh fuel I put back in. I said to myself, “self, you got rocks in your head draining these stupid things”. I have not drained trimmer, blower, tiller or saw since and that was a long time ago. I have even used 3-year-old forgotten mix (dated) to do a spring cleanup. I ran gallons of that mix through the big Red Max blower. Never even hiccupped. Sorry but I cannot tow the “ETOH bad “mantra. I have not had one failure I can contribute directly to ETOH fuel.

Just fired up the mighty Shindiawa T-27. Sat all winter in an unheated shop with a tank full of (wait for it) 10% ETOH fuel. Hit second pull and ran like a champ. Touched off the FS-130R. Same scenario cept it hit first pull. Same story for the FS-250 and FS-250R. I just don’t know what I am doing wrong. These machines have not been used in almost eight months. They should all need new carbs and have tanks full of orange juice jones.

Years ago, I bought into the ETOH boogeyman hype. I used to dump out fuel and run things dry for storage but one year I forgot to drain a trimmer and it sat all winter with a tank full of ethanol fuel. In the spring I discovered the error. Horrified, I dumped the fuel out expecting to see milk and honey, layers of separation, ungodly smells etc. To my astonishment, none of that occurred. Further, the fuel I dumped out looked and smelt better than the fresh fuel I put back in. I said to myself, “self, you got rocks in your head draining these stupid things”. I have not drained trimmer, blower, tiller or saw since and that was a long time ago. I have even used 3-year-old forgotten mix (dated) to do a spring cleanup. I ran gallons of that mix through the big Red Max blower. Never even hiccupped. Sorry but I cannot tow the “ETOH bad “mantra. I have not had one failure I can contribute directly to ETOH fuel.

I wonder if these mixed experiences are attributed to maybe using a fuel stabilizer or oil mix with an ethanol shield ? Maybe higher octane gas has less ethanol?

Back