Fire sale!! Stihl 201TC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At one of the service schools for Stihl I attended they said “We don’t say it caught fire. We say it had a thermal incident.”
If we are being Politically Correct for stihl… I guess my crew suffered from a “gravity induced thermal incident” lmao 🤣

It’s the first time in my career I dropped a saw out of a tree, I was about 40-45 foot up a 120 foot white pine, saw slipped from my hand… as you can see I climb with a shorty lanyard.. a groundie saw me drop it.. ran over, I asked if it was ****ed up and he said it doesn’t look like it, just the air filter cracked… hold on let me try to start it.. well!!! When he pulled the starter cord the saw burst into flames(no not an exaggeration… literally burst into a fireball), around his hands and face. Thank god he wasn’t hurt.. he dropped the saw, as it was fully engulfed… and it laid on the ground burning until two more ground guys helped him put it out… it was damn near full of fuel
My late mate kept a daily journal when he worked for the utility tree service - I was looking through it one day (his entries were boring, but it had little sayings printed in each corner that were amusing) - and ran across one that just said "Killed Buzzy".

That was the day he dropped Buzzy out of the bucket. Buzzy was some tiny little saw - I don't remember what, exactly - Mini Mac sized thing - and it killed it dead. But he didn't even have the excuse of it turning into a fireball... :D

It’s the first time in my career I dropped a saw out of a tree, I was about 40-45 foot up a 120 foot white pine, saw slipped from my hand… as you can see I climb with a shorty lanyard..
Sorry, non-arborist question. When you're in the tree or in a bucket is the saw not always connected to you (or the bucket)? I.e. you're reaching the saw beyond the length of the lanyard?
List the saw on Craigslist: Saw ran last time I used it.

Sorry, non-arborist question. When you're in the tree or in a bucket is the saw not always connected to you (or the bucket)? I.e. you're reaching the saw beyond the length of the lanyard?
List the saw on Craigslist: Saw ran last time I used it.
Yes technically you have a long chainsaw lanyard or a bungee chainsaw lanyard, but I prefer a shorty small leash with a ring on it

Latest posts

Back