firewood saws 346XP NE VS 359 vs 5100S

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hori

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok people, this has been driving me nuts for weeks. I lay in bed thinking of these saws. I just cut firewood for my own use, mostly hardwood. As far as prices I can buy a 346XP NE and have it shipped to me in Canada cheaper than the 359. The 346 is stupid expensive in Canada ! The 5100s is the cheapest priced of the three however.. price does not matter.
I will have to buy any of these saws with out testing them so your opinions will greatly help me. I know about the muffler thing of the huskys and buying a non cat muffler is no problem. I am not a cookie cutter nor a logger. I just want a saw to quickly and efficiently due my firewood, maple, birch, oak, some spruce.
I know all of these are great saws and opinions very to brand loyality etc...I have searched and read through many threads but still undecided:confused:

Remember i can`t test drive any of these so I am purely going by your reviews.

Omg

You burn Spruce?? OMG!!! Your going hell dude, polluting the environment like that. You can't burn Spruce, just ask any dipsh1t, lmao... hehehehehe

:jester:

As for a saw?? 5100 all day. NO questions, quarrels or quams. Best bang for the buck on the market. Hands down. Nuff said..

:cheers: eh?

359 with 20" bar would be my choice

light weight lots of power and tourque low vibes and superb filtration and its the only one of the 3 i have exsperince with.

346 gets the same review is lighter but lacks the tourqe to pull 24" chain if need be.
id like to try one some day. it would be a killer saw if your fired wood is 24"s and smaller

IMO...after running the 346XP for a month it has to be the perfect firewood saw. Let me qualify this...I work by myself and I only cut wood that I can wrangle into the bed of my truck by myself so I let the huge stuff stay behind. That said...

A 346XP with an 18 inch bar and .325 pitch would be perfect for you. You can limb and buck with it. It will run all day, its light, and easy on the fuel. I can limb and buck a full 8 foot bed of firewood on one tank. Plus all your friends will be jealous.
That's my 2 cents.

Safe cutting.

I love my 346xp. It is a great and reliable saw that impresses me every time I use it. That said, if I were only going to own one saw for firewood, it would be at least a 60cc saw. So of the three listed, the 359 gets my vote. A 60cc chainsaw is an almost perfect one saw plan (just behind a 70cc saw, which will do almost, anything you could want it to do).

Well, you have 2 similar saws (346xp, 5100) and another with 10cc more.

If you want/need the power get the 359. If you want to save your back, get the 346xp.

If your low on funds, get the 5100, it's the cheapest.

Nice Jonsered 2159 in the Tradin' Post, for $250 might be worth considering.

There's also a 359 in there for $375, not sure how either convert out in Canadian bacon.

No question, I'd snag the 346XP and suffer the larger logs a bit.

For a one saw firewood plan though, I'd definately be hounding a a good used 262xp.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'd say if you're only going to have one saw get the 359. It'll serve you better in the bigger wood. If you're even remotely considering two saws I'd get the 346 and then get a 70cc saw later on.

[Well I certainly hope nothing has happened to Sawtroll.This threads been up for over half an hour an he hasn't showed up shilling for the 346.Ron[/QUOTE]

:hmm3grin2orange:

If you are really really going to get just one saw, I would say go with the 359 with a 18" and 24" bar. It might not have the sex appeal as the other two but is a great work horse. And if on occasion you get into some larger wood, the 359 is big enough to handle a 24" bar with skip chain.

also consider the 60cc would be better suited for quatering big rds down so you can wrestle them in the truck

I have a muff modded 359 with a 20" b&c and for a 1 saw plan i wouldnt want anything smaller. It is light enough to use all day but has enough grunt to cut big stuff if needed. Go with the 359 and a muff mod and you wont regret it.

Well, you have 2 similar saws (346xp, 5100) and another with 10cc more.

If you want/need the power get the 359. If you want to save your back, get the 346xp.

If your low on funds, get the 5100, it's the cheapest. .... .

:agree2: Well said!

I have both the 346 band the 5100, and I like the 346 a lot better in the woods!
Bucking in the yard, it doesn't matter.

The 359 is a bit on the "weak" side for a 60cc saw - there is a reason that I don't have one, and never really considered one. :)

Last edited:
359 for just one saw out of the 3 that you have listed. 50cc is just 2 small for being your only saw for firewood.

Back