Fiskars X27

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The X27 absolutely sucks. Don't buy it.

This is this years stash and the stove house is plum full. It was either noodled or Fiskar'd.

It does terrible on big pieces.

@svk maybe ease up on advertising spike60's $70 price on s2800's. Thats only in-store and id say the vast majority of us dont live close to that.

That's the price I was quoted also. Shipping is the pisser. BUT you are buying from a forum member...whcih I will do in a heartblink once they wise up and come out with a longer version for those of us with ape arms.

View attachment 470906 View attachment 470907 View attachment 470908
Ok, lots of info in this thread, but here's a couple more cents since you asked(also you did read all the other threads on this right:).

First off do not hit the back side of the head, they even asked me if I did when I called for a replacement.

Second don't miss when driving a wedge, guess that's what the bottom right picture is showing:laughing:.

This is not a magic tool as stated above, but does what it is intended to do well. I don't use a baseball cap as a hard hat and I wouldn't use the fiskars to split the nastiest rounds as even a hydro splitter has difficulty with that. So if you can only afford one splitting tool this may not be for you.

The warranty is a part of the cost of the tool and part of the price you pay upfront. I calculate this into the overall cost of ownership, people like svk have more money than I do and can throw their's around more:hi:. In all seriousness there is always a cost for tools and sometimes our time outweighs the value of a warranty, I get that. Kinda like driving 10 miles out of route to save .02 on gas(better be filling the tanker). Splitting on the ground fits into this category I would guess also. I always try to split on another piece of wood as it give me more confidence I'm not sticking the ground or hitting a rock(I don't cut the dirt with my saws either if I can help it). It also gives more power as the log does not sink into the ground.

I mentioned the warranty because I have already used it. Fiskars sent me out one and in like 5 days it arrived. they had told me like 10-15 business days and it was there in 5 actual days and I was right back in bus.:chop:.
I see that Idahonative said that his has had many overstrikes, mine had one and done:(. Not sure if it was a bad axe, but a friends son took one swing and I just stood there looking. Just glad I saw what happened as I may have gotten upset if not.
I got mine as partial payment in a trade deal and really like it. I would buy one if I had to replace it, but I'm cheap and would wait for a deal:envy:.
Besides I have enough split for the next three seasons an can wait for a deal;).

I WANT TO SHAKE YOUR HAND AND BUY YOU A COCKTAIL!!!!!!!!

You broke that rascal. Good on you.

Mine has survived this since I bought it.

$30 shipping makes it a cool $100. Same as everyone else.

Yep. But I'd rather give Spike business.

Did he quote you that? We shipped the traveling leveraxe all over the country and it was always 15-20 bucks.

Yes. That's what I was told. Give or take. it is what it is. I will be giving him money for the S3600 once Husky/Gardena get's their head out of their butt.

My take on why the Fiskars doesn't work for people. And this is just my take.....be mad if you want...i'll get over it and/or don't really care.

1. They have picked the wrong spot. I have NEVER split anything that wasn't fresh cut. I have gone after the ass ends of the 100" logs I process and have been met with a thud. Cut off a cookie and bloop...you have something to work with.

Who knows.....just my experience.

2. They lack the physical strength or are too stubborn to realize this is a new tool that requires a new plan to achieve any head speed or even understand the tool.

I learned this this past year when I bought my dad one in Kentucky.

I was splitting the snot out of Box Elder with it and when he tried pffffft. But when I watched him....something was squirrelly.

I took the axe and said replicate what I do.

We swapped.....and I was like good God. But he was blowing rounds apart. I said "Is that what I was doing?"

He said Yes.

He told me that it went against all that he knew how to split with an axe. He absolutely loves it.

Did he quote you that? We shipped the traveling leveraxe all over the country and it was always 15-20 bucks.
I shot him a PM and he told me to go buy locally because of shipping costs. He did not refuse to sell me one, just thought I would be better off with a local purchase.

@benp shared a lot of wisdom there.

A couple of years back in one of the more heated Fiskars arguments, this took place which still makes me laugh.

Lifetime guarantee dont mean nothin if the company goes outta business

Then Philbert said this:

Good point.

They were founded in 1649, and have annual sales of approximately $1 billion (US).

Could be a fly-by-night organization.

I like my Fiskars axes and splitters. No tool does everything for everybody though.

Philbert

Finally Audible Fart said this which has been used several times since.

Fiskars X27 for the win.
image.jpeg

Classic

A couple of years back in one of the more heated Fiskars arguments, this took place which still makes me laugh.

Then Philbert said this:

Classic
That is funny stuff especially in context:D. In this day and age you never know. These companies change hands or names just to get out of paying benefits or fulfilling promises.
Lets be real, those big #'s look great, but so do our unemployment #'s. Maybe you should move this to another thread so I can let loose a little.

I would still buy another one maybe two if they changed hands or went under:yes:.

A very important point that has not yet been mentioned in this thread.

I can tell by the sound on the first strike whether a piece will split or not.

With a light splitting axe you need to read each piece and choose the spots that will yield. I can strike the exact spot or move slightly with complete control with the fiskars. Again, and again, and again. With a heavy maul not so much.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying other light weight splitting axes. I would sure feel guilty about chopping a stump out of the ground with a tool at 2-4x the price though.

The X27 absolutely sucks. Don't buy it. LOL

I WANT TO SHAKE YOUR HAND AND BUY YOU A COCKTAIL!!!!!!!!

You broke that rascal. Good on you.
Thats funny, never thought of using a bath scale as a splitting block.
I didn't break it my buddies 12yr old kid did. I could have hit it harder than he did with one hand(wait I already said that, did you really read my post or were you busy thinking of what you wanted to say:lol:). He's not old enough to drink though so I will take the drink thanks:cheers:.

Then Philbert said this:

Classic
leave it to Philbert to post that, keeps thing interesting:).

I can tell by the sound on the first strike whether a piece will split or not.

With a light splitting axe you need to read each piece and choose the spots that will yield. I can strike the exact spot or move slightly with complete control with the fiskars. Again, and again, and again. With a heavy maul not so much.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying other light weight splitting axes. I would sure feel guilty about chopping a stump out of the ground with a tool at 2-4x the price though.
I agree 100%, except I'm not always good enough to "strike the exact spot"

It's just amazing how pissed off some people would get when the Fiskars name was brought up in those old "discussions". I never did understand it.

If you watched benp's video you can see the destruction he causes with the X27. During one of the online brawls, someone told him he couldn't split wood with a regular maul because he didn't "eat his wheaties". :baaa:

I may have to dig that thread up just for a few laughs.

True but show me someone who has a split that didn't quite finish on the second try who HASN'T spicked up the maul and given the fiskars a tap.

Yeah, I know, you have never done that. Worry about breaking one voiding the warrantee? Not hardly. I wouldn't request a replacement if it did break...which in my experience (many years) doesn't happen. Handles yes, the splitting part? no.

Harry K
Must I send you my picture because I don't think Idahonative has one of me, do you:surprised3::picture:.
I hasn't ever done it and don't plan on it, I have a maul and wedges just in case.
I don't spick up a hammer to hit my saws with it when they get stuck either:eek:.
I appreciate your honesty about not making a company pay for your negligence, very honorable:bowdown:(I do mean this sincerely:cheers:).
I would just let the company know exactly what happened and see where it goes. I have forgot to pay bills and picked up the phone and asked if they would be so kind as to remove the charge and they did:clap:.
Honesty goes a long way and pays dividends in ever increasing measure:envy:.

Handles yes, the splitting part? no.

Harry K
Forgot to respond to this part, please forgive me.
The splitting part will probably not break, but may chip.
I think one of the main issues with hitting the head with anything metal is the resulting harmonics.
Harmonics will destroy many thing without some sort of a dampener.
I would think that the axe is not designed in a way to handle those types of vibrations.

It's just amazing how pissed off some people would get when the Fiskars name was brought up in those old "discussions". I never did understand it.

If you watched benp's video you can see the destruction he causes with the X27. During one of the online brawls, someone told him he couldn't split wood with a regular maul because he didn't "eat his wheaties". :baaa:

I may have to dig that thread up just for a few laughs.
Besides, you know he's a bad son of a gun:muscle:.
It's not worth it.
The axe or digging it up:laughing:

Besides, you know he's a bad son of a gun:muscle:.

Yep. your average dork next door. To a T.

The axe or digging it up:laughing:

Both. I feel the purse swinging over it's effectiveness is not worth it......but you apparently do.

And you are correct...I did not read your entire post. I just went by the pictures. My fault.

I did not see the part where the child broke the X27, I thought you had. Again....my fault.

Thats funny, never thought of using a bath scale as a splitting block.
I didn't break it my buddies 12yr old kid did. I could have hit it harder than he did with one hand(wait I already said that, did you really read my post or were you busy thinking of what you wanted to say:lol:). He's not old enough to drink though so I will take the drink thanks:cheers:.

leave it to Philbert to post that, keeps thing interesting:).

I agree 100%, except I'm not always good enough to "strike the exact spot"

Same here. At myage I'm good for 3 strikes veryclose to each other, the 4th is going to be way off due to fatigue.
I usually switch to a wedge/sledge or maul in one hand sledge in other after 3 strikes.

Harry K

Forgot to respond to this part, please forgive me.
The splitting part will probably not break, but may chip.
I think one of the main issues with hitting the head with anything metal is the resulting harmonics.
Harmonics will destroy many thing without some sort of a dampener.
I would think that the axe is not designed in a way to handle those types of vibrations.

I don't "hammer" on it but do 'firmly tap'. And yes it mushrooms.

Harry K

Very entertaining thread. Probably worth $40 I spent on my Fiskars x27 when I bought it during a sale at Baileys a couple years ago, including shipping. I already posted in this thread, with my endorsement of the Fiskars as the first splitting tool out of my trailer when I commence splitting. The maul and a couple wedges are in the trailer too, but getting pretty dirty from lack of use.

This is the result of one strike through for each split with my x27 on a nice 36" Red Oak round:

Splitting Rose.JPG

That is admittedly another in the 16+ cord of straight grain, 18" rounds that I process each year. I am a small time operation, one mature man, one dog.

P1080074.JPG

As mentioned by increasing your swing speed you greatly increase the energy generated by a tool.

I had some sugar maple and real wavy grained black cherry once that just would not give in. But with a couple BANSAI! swings they did say uncle. Granted you can't swing at 110% for very long.

Latest posts

Back