Fiskars X27

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the stuff I'm splitting don't split with one swing from the Fiskars... I park it.
I'd rather swing 8 pounds once than 4½ pounds twice (or three times, or four times, or...).
I'll never understand how swinging 4½ pounds multiple times is less work than swinging 8 pounds once... and it certainly ain't more time efficient.

If the stuff I'm splitting don't split with one swing from the Fiskars... I park it.
I'd rather swing 8 pounds once than 4½ pounds twice (or three times, or four times, or...).
I'll never understand how swinging 4½ pounds multiple times is less work than swinging 8 pounds once... and it certainly ain't more time efficient.

I can swing the Fiskars all day long. Swinging 8 pounds will wear my ass out...but I'm not the biggest or strongest.

I can swing the Fiskars all day long. Swinging 8 pounds will wear my ass out...but I'm not the biggest or strongest.
Same here. Hour, hour and half max with an 8lb maul and I am worn out. I have a Collins 8# maul and the Fiskars still splits wood quicker and with less average strikes. Granted I am not splitting something like elm or hard maple very often either.

Same here. Hour, hour and half max with an 8lb maul and I am worn out. I have a Collins 8# maul and the Fiskars still splits wood quicker and with less average strikes. Granted I am not splitting something like elm or hard maple very often either.

I agree. You gotta pick your spots.

Where I run into trouble is when the round gives me a hint of splitting and I just keep after it determined to win. Tamarack is notorious for tormenting me like that.

Still haven't acquired the skill of understanding when to cut my losses. lol

I would love to see how the Husky would do in wet popple. And by wet I mean when you strike the round you get sprayed. For me the Fiskars just goes thud.

Where I run into trouble is when the round gives me a hint of splitting and I just keep after it determined to win. Tamarack is notorious for tormenting me like that.

I would love to see how the Husky would do in wet popple. And by wet I mean when you strike the round you get sprayed. For me the Fiskars just goes thud.
I am like that sometimes. I had an especially difficult birch round once.....I think it took 66 hits from the Fiskars to completely split it into 6 pieces. But if the big saw is close I will give up in under 10 hits normally.

Not spring time sopping wet but two weeks ago I was splitting aspen that was dropped in mid September and bucked in mid October. One piece I bounced the X27 off it 4 times with not as much as a crack. The Husky halved it in two hits. That's when I dumped out the jug of yellow koolaid and mixed a fresh batch of orange.:rock2:

I am like that sometimes. I had an especially difficult birch round once.....I think it took 66 hits from the Fiskars to completely split it into 6 pieces. But if the big saw is close I will give up in under 10 hits normally.

Not spring time sopping wet but two weeks ago I was splitting aspen that was dropped in mid September and bucked in mid October. One piece I bounced the X27 off it 4 times with not as much as a crack. The Husky halved it in two hits. That's when I dumped out the jug of yellow koolaid and mixed a fresh batch of orange.:rock2:

Oh wow!!!

That's awesome!!

For the stuff we split (conifer), I don't even attempt to split until it's dry. When I hit them and they go "thud", that's my signal they aren't ready. I've split some stuff that had too much moisture and it just works a guy to death. Way more work than it should be.

For the stuff we split (conifer), I don't even attempt to split until it is dry. When I hit them and they go "thud", that's my signal they aren't ready. I've split some stuff that had too much moisture and it just works a guy to death.
Norway pine is one that definitely works better when dry. When you get splashed in the face with moisture the only thing that works is a hydro or noodling.

Just came in from a session on the woodpile. One chunk only needed split in half, looked clear grain all the way. One Fiskars srtrike and a nice split line appeared. 2nd strike didn't improve much, third one no better. Out with the maul...nothing. Wedge sledge finally got it to split all the way down but not free it. I finally beat it into submission with the maul. Hidden knot with nothing showing on the surface.

Harry K

I just bought a Fiskers as a X-mas present for little brother. Has anybody noticed for 1 that it doesn't say X27 or have any badging at all on the ax. Once the stickers are of it looks just like a no name and nobody would know what it was. Later today I stopped into a rental place that sells lots of Stihl stuff. Damn it, if they didn't have the Stihl pa80 for the same price as the fiskers. When I grabbed it off the shelf it felt different. Upon further inspection it did not say pa 80 on it, also was not stamped (oshkenpof?) in the head. Stihl must of went with a knockoff rather than rebadging. Both signs are discouraging.

I just bought a Fiskers as a X-mas present for little brother. Has anybody noticed for 1 that it doesn't say X27 or have any badging at all on the ax. Once the stickers are of it looks just like a no name and nobody would know what it was. Later today I stopped into a rental place that sells lots of Stihl stuff. Damn it, if they didn't have the Stihl pa80 for the same price as the fiskers. When I grabbed it off the shelf it felt different. Upon further inspection it did not say pa 80 on it, also was not stamped (oshkenpof?) in the head. Stihl must of went with a knockoff rather than rebadging. Both signs are discouraging.
Are you talking the all black model?

I just tracked down a S2800 to give to my brother in law. Local dealer didn't have one but Minneapolis Saw did which I'll be traveling near next Monday. I had been trying to find him a Helko but they jacked the prices and it was too late to order a Husky.

Simple basics of physics law will explain why the X27/S2800 work as well as they do. Strike force is a simple equation...Wieght X Velocity=Force. So basically increasing velocity will greatly improve the impact a stike has. This is why guns are so effective.....not a lot of wieght but loads of speed. lts that simple!

Simple basics of physics law will explain why the X27/S2800 work as well as they do. Strike force is a simple equation...Wieght X Velocity=Force. So basically increasing velocity will greatly improve the impact a stike has. This is why guns are so effective.....not a lot of wieght but loads of speed. lts that simple!
It is simple, but this explains why they work well in the situations they were designed for.
My .17 cal is not the gun to take out deer hunting, but it sure is fun to blow the heck out of chipmunks with.
My x27 is like my .17 cal.
Sometimes you need more weight at half the velocity to get the job done;).

Just when I thought the Fiskars was finally talked to death......here we go again! Search it. There's gotta be a 1000 posts alone on that one splitting axe! And if that's not enough info read the reviews on amazon. :clap:

My 20 dollar tractor supply special Collins splits same stuff just as effective as my x27 . I split a cord at my dads a week ago I had both to use that day I found for light straight easy grains the x27 was slightly better because it was lighter and didn't wear me out but if you get into any rounds that aren't ideal the Collins wacked right through without " sticking " " like the x27 does .many were one hit with the Collins were the fiskars was repeated and did nothing . Hardly a big time saver and if your striking over and over I don't care how light it is you'll get tired . After owning one a couple years I think there's too much hub bub over a fiskers . It's okay it's not junk but it's just an axe your still going to be swinging and beating on rounds over and over . It isn't so much better it's worth twice the price and my opinion is the great reviews are from people who used a splitting axe or maul that was too heavy for the chore and they got a light fiskars and felt it was a better tool .

Are you talking the all black model?

I have not seen any other model than the all black around in awhile. The hatchet is the same, no marking or badging. I was most disappointed in the Stihl version, the pa 80 was/is a great maul. I can tell just by the feel the new one is not as good.

Just when I thought the Fiskars was finally talked to death......here we go again! Search it. There's gotta be a 1000 posts alone on that one splitting axe! And if that's not enough info read the reviews on amazon. :clap:
It's kinda like 346xp threads:lol:.
I love them to(the saws, not just the threads:)), but have other saws to do the jobs the 346xp was not designed for.
Besides I've got the 550xp now so it's on to the next thing and the fiskars will be similar in that its just another tool in the shed and another will eventually replace it.

I have not seen any other model than the all black around in awhile. The hatchet is the same, no marking or badging. I was most disappointed in the Stihl version, the pa 80 was/is a great maul. I can tell just by the feel the new one is not as good.
The one in the picture in my earlier post was from the manufacturer in early October.
I will have mine out today if all goes as planned. I have a small locust to contend with.

It's kinda like 346xp threads:lol:.
I love them to(the saws, not just the threads:)), but have other saws to do the jobs the 346xp was not designed for.
Besides I've got the 550xp now so it's on to the next thing and the fiskars will be similar in that its just another tool in the shed and another will eventually replace it.
You know that's a great analogy.

Latest posts

Back