For those who've used both: less vibration on a 260 or 361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am actually going to use the vibe thing on wifey to get myself a 361 or a 441. I had wrist surgery 7 years ago and my ms310 just makes my hands go numb! (It doesnt really but i think that is the only way to get another saw)
That's a good excuse! Call me crazy but the 290 to 390 saw's dont seem that bad to me for short term use they are better than Saw's from the 70s but then that's not saying much.

Yep, I get that same mushy feeling with my 2171....the 361 "feels" to have a more solid mount. Both the 2171 and 3159 are good saws though, I know of some nasty 359s.

I didn't care much about vibes either, until I tried a wildthingy, they will shake your filings loose.
You gotta try a 2550 they have the springs but I think same motor not too bad a saw for the money but ya gotta work on them before you use it or I really think A guy could burn one up in a half hour of Cutting I have had mine for a few years and really like it but you have to rich-en them up or else!:cheers:

That's a good excuse! Call me crazy but the 290 to 390 saw's dont seem that bad to me for short term use they are better than Saw's from the 70s but then that's not saying much.

The 310 doesnt bother me at all it gets a little vibe with a skip tooth on it but, i just need a good excuse to get a new saw, i am thinking it should be a 441 tho

The 361 pulled as well as the muff modded 2159 out of the box and was as smooth and dare I say the anti vibe did not seem as soft, that mushy feeling you get with a sprung Jred husky. Of course the 361 is the best copy of a Jred husky So it's gotta be good?( never ran a 441 that's gotta be a good saw to as far as vibes but it is obese in the rear end lol.)

B.T.W. what's a "sprung Jred" Husky, too much A.V.? I went back to a different Stihl dealer today, but no 361. They had a 441, and yeah I agree that thing was a little on the massive side, though I'm having trouble getting a handle on the different manufacturers weights- supposedly even that 441 weighs less than the craftsman I'm using now (18lbs)- but I'd bet money that this craftsman is lighter than a 361, probably even the 260. It feels superlight. So either Sears is weighing their craftsmans with everything- bar, chain, and CASE, or the 42cc's currently on their site have gotten alot heavier since this one. I.D.K. but something's off.

I have both and I really do not see the comments the huge improvement in vibration on the 260 vs 361.

The 361 is heavier and eats way more fuel.

At idle there is definitely more vibration in 260 but when cutting I really do not notice hardly any difference at all.

I use my 260 way, way more then the 361 for what I do which is lots of brushing.

I just like the feel of the 260 better.

THanks for the input M.I.P. I'll be using mine for that as well- alot of brush clearing, but also firewood. I know a smaller, lighter chainsaw could be more handy for alot of it- B.T.W. what size bar on yours for brushing? The dealer I went to today had a regular 260 (non pro), and it was TEMPTING considering it was about $150 less than a 361. He didn't personally have time for me, so a fourth-day-on-the-job girl who admittedly knew nothing just watched me thw whole time (and visibly annoyed him relaying my questions L.O.L.). Made it easier not to buy today. Never considered "M.P.G." regarding a chainsaw, good thought. You're not making my 260-361 decision any easier though.

Also, from someone who has both, yet prefers the feel of the 260- at what point do you "upgrade" (I.E. what size of tree, type of job does it take before you switch to your 361)?

I have used an 026 all day long and the vibes never bothered me....

Me too!:agree2: I find myself throwing mine around like a sword off a Jackie Chan movie, have to tone it down some so people won't think I'm insane.:dizzy: I would like to keep the handsome head on my shoulders also, LOL.:D

Vibes on a 026/260? Those that complain of the vibes on an 026/260 maybe shouldn't be running a chainsaw in the first place. I'd hate to see what they'd think of my 460.

Yes, the 361 may be a bit smoother. But there is a huge difference in power between the two. If you want a 20" get the 361. It will outcut the 026/260 in any wood and probably save you a lot of time in the process. I run an 18" on my 026 Pro and would say that is the absolute max. I consider it a trim saw or light limbing saw. Since my first 361 purchase my 026 isn't getting much of a workout anymore but it is still my favorite.

I am actually going to use the vibe thing on wifey to get myself a 361 or a 441. I had wrist surgery 7 years ago and my ms310 just makes my hands go numb! (It doesnt really but i think that is the only way to get another saw)

whatever it takes!

B.T.W. what's a "sprung Jred" Husky, too much A.V.? I went back to a different Stihl dealer today, but no 361. They had a 441, and yeah I agree that thing was a little on the massive side, though I'm having trouble getting a handle on the different manufacturers weights- supposedly even that 441 weighs less than the craftsman I'm using now (18lbs)- but I'd bet money that this craftsman is lighter than a 361, probably even the 260. It feels superlight. So either Sears is weighing their craftsmans with everything- bar, chain, and CASE, or the 42cc's currently on their site have gotten alot heavier since this one. I.D.K. but something's off.

THanks for the input M.I.P. I'll be using mine for that as well- alot of brush clearing, but also firewood. I know a smaller, lighter chainsaw could be more handy for alot of it- B.T.W. what size bar on yours for brushing? The dealer I went to today had a regular 260 (non pro), and it was TEMPTING considering it was about $150 less than a 361. He didn't personally have time for me, so a fourth-day-on-the-job girl who admittedly knew nothing just watched me thw whole time (and visibly annoyed him relaying my questions L.O.L.). Made it easier not to buy today. Never considered "M.P.G." regarding a chainsaw, good thought. You're not making my 260-361 decision any easier though.

Also, from someone who has both, yet prefers the feel of the 260- at what point do you "upgrade" (I.E. what size of tree, type of job does it take before you switch to your 361)?
Sprung Jred/Husky The Springs on the anti vibe flex when you put pressure on them I don't really push down on my saw's but the first time I used a saw with springs for anti vibe I thought the bar was loose! I was used to running saw's with a rigid handle or rubber mounts.

Thanks Austin I just gathered from another thread that "Jred" is just a different name for Husky. I figured he meant it was too cushiony- "sprung" just sounded like a mod or something. Guess there's a sweet-spot of enough A.V. but not too much A.V. Feeling like the bar is loose would be unsettling to me too.

M.I.P.- forget what I asked about regarding your "brushing", as I just figured out that it doesn't mean what I thought it meant (L.O.L.)... I will NOT be doing any of that!

I'm having trouble getting a handle on the different manufacturers weights- supposedly even that 441 weighs less than the craftsman I'm using now (18lbs)- but I'd bet money that this craftsman is lighter than a 361, probably even the 260. It feels superlight. So either Sears is weighing their craftsmans with everything- bar, chain, and CASE, or the 42cc's currently on their site have gotten alot heavier since this one. I.D.K. but something's off.
So I just weighed the 18" 42cc craftsman, and it is 13 pounds with everything, just as I use it. I.D.K. where Sears is getting 18lbs, but it's looking like even a 260 will weigh more with its bar and chain on (much less a 360). Anyone know the "real world" weights for the 260 and 361? Not that I couldn't handle a few extra pounds, I just want my to make sure my known point of reference is apples-to-apples.

Big Neb said:
Vibes on a 026/260? Those that complain of the vibes on an 026/260 maybe shouldn't be running a chainsaw in the first place. I'd hate to see what they'd think of my 460.
Hey B.N. thanks for the input. I don't think anyone here is complaining per se. But for instance would you tell Hawkfeather (who in that thread mentioned vibration worsens his medical condition) that he shouldn't be running a chainsaw? Vibration is not a concern for you obviously (and thus far hasn't been one for me either), but for those between a 260 and 361- what we think of the 460 is neither here nor there I.M.O. (though I do understand your point is we're splitting hairs here, relative to bigger saws). I'm just trying to eliminate any surprises in this upgrade!

Big Neb said:
Yes, the 361 may be a bit smoother.
That's all we're talking about here (thanks)!

Back