Heli Logger's Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hybridkarpower

Green eyes in the dark
Reaction score
Gents:

What Stihl saws are these Heli-Loggers using

I can only id two saws, the MS200-T on couple climbers & the boss Gord Closson showed off his MS-880.

What about for jigging ? There was a red falling saw that looked like either a Husqvarna or Solo 694 ??

Chime in please.

They are all 660s as far as the stihls that I seen. a couple fallers had a 385/390xp as far as I can tell. I've been watching the reruns here lately myself.

ive noticed Kurtis looks like hes usually using a small non-tophandle stihl while climbing..14-16" bar on it, maybe a 260?
every other guy i see using only 200t's or big stihls up in the trees, ive only seen one of the fallers using a big husky, everyone else so far seems to be all stihl

Stihl is cheaper than husky in canada. In one episode cleaver talked about having a tophandle, 2 big saws, and all the climbing gear that added up to about $6K.

Ok, I'm a newbie. However, my daytime job has been in the media business for 22 years. What I noticed was the huge disconnect between the safety equipment and the saws. 90% wear Husky head/ear/eye protection but run mostly Stihl saws. Just an observation.

I was wondering about that since day one. Climbing supervisor Rob Robson had Husky hard hat every episode. Do you think Husky & Stihl were sponsors or these guys were simply using what they choose at will ?

Ok, I'm a newbie. However, my daytime job has been in the media business for 22 years. What I noticed was the huge disconnect between the safety equipment and the saws. 90% wear Husky head/ear/eye protection but run mostly Stihl saws. Just an observation.

I know nothing about chainsaws. However, I make a living at product placement. I have not looked at the closing credits though. They must list both companies if they gave money. I'm guessing the show isn't really getting huge ratings yet. When they do, you can bet that whomever doesn't pay will get their logo blurred out. Just look at Deadliest Catch. In their first few seasons they filmed all the equipment with logos. When it got ratings, they blurred out every f'ing company logo. I know this is a little off topic. I apologize.

Good information nevertheless :) You did bring something new to the table.

I know nothing about chainsaws. However, I make a living at product placement. I have not looked at the closing credits though. They must list both companies if they gave money. I'm guessing the show isn't really getting huge ratings yet. When they do, you can bet that whomever doesn't pay will get their logo blurred out. Just look at Deadliest Catch. In their first few seasons they filmed all the equipment with logos. When it got ratings, they blurred out every f'ing company logo. I know this is a little off topic. I apologize.

Stihl is cheaper than husky in canada. In one episode cleaver talked about having a tophandle, 2 big saws, and all the climbing gear that added up to about $6K.

I've been mentioning this for a long time around here. Stihl is A LOT cheaper than husky in Canada. A new MS460 $950 vs 372XP $1150 and the spread is like that for every pro model. Husky is always more expensive here. Heck, even a 338XPT costs more than a 200T.

I guess if I was in canada I would run stihls cause the savings.

I was wondering about that since day one. Climbing supervisor Rob Robson had Husky hard hat every episode. Do you think Husky & Stihl were sponsors or these guys were simply using what they choose at will ?

In one episode a guy pinches the bar on a 200T that he borrowed from his buddy and buggers it a bit reefing on it. The Buddy was genuinely un freaking happy about it just like you or I would be if a borrowed tool got abused.

Also, I wear my Husky chaps while running my Stihl saws and I even wear a Stihl hat when running my Husky saws while using an Oregon bar with Stihl chain. In fact I even have a Dewalt drill that lives right beside a Milwaukee circ saw. The guys run Husky and Stihl because all pro loggers run Husky and Stihl. They don't buy some obscure hard to find bargain priced saws that they can't get repaired locally

Last edited:
I guess if I was in canada I would run stihls cause the savings.

yeah, the debate between the two is a little different here. Would the 346XP still be so popular if it was $850 like it is here when a 260Pro is only $650? I can buy a 200T here for the same price as most of the USA but a 338XPT is $150 more. And the dollar is at PAR!!! WTF??

husky lids are more comfortable than the peltors or stihls

I was all Stihl until I discovered Bailey's Motion Lotion Apex B&C oil.

I'm sure Stihl's internet spy will get over it.. After all he wipes his rear :censored: the same way we do.

In one episode a guy pinches the bar on a 200T that he borrowed from his buddy and buggers it a bit reefing on it. The Buddy was genuinely un freaking happy about it just like you or I would be if a borrowed tool got abused.

Also, I wear my Husky chaps while running my Stihl saws and I even wear a Stihl hat when running my Husky saws while using an Oregon bar with Stihl chain. In fact I even have a Dewalt drill that lives right beside a Milwaukee circ saw. The guys run Husky and Stihl because all pro loggers run Husky and Stihl. They don't buy some obscure hard to find bargain priced saws that they can't get repaired locally

They are all 660s as far as the stihls that I seen. a couple fallers had a 385/390xp as far as I can tell. I've been watching the reruns here lately myself.

MS200T, 660 and 880 + Husky 385/390xp are those I remember for sure, but I believe there was at least one appearance of a larger Husky as well - there is some time since I saw the series, so memory is fading.....:)

One thing that surpriced me, was that they didn't seem to bring spare chain into the woods! :jawdrop:

Last edited:
yeah, the debate between the two is a little different here. Would the 346XP still be so popular if it was $850 like it is here when a 260Pro is only $650? I can buy a 200T here for the same price as most of the USA but a 338XPT is $150 more. And the dollar is at PAR!!! WTF??

The 346xp is much more than a $200 premium over the MS260 here, but it doesn't seem to matter much......:)

Latest posts

Back