Help building my new chainsaw fleet.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff1988

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I cut firewood off my father's property for a contractor I sell too and for my old man to burn in his own house. I work full time, but during the grass mowing season I cut a few lawns and when its too cold here (about 5) months of the year Im out in the woods. Anyways my old man's 041 was amazing back in the day, I remember him using it since I was able to help load his truck with firewood...so about 18 years ago. It's been retired for a couple years now...I got a craftsman I been using a craftsman and a 290 farm boss...bought them at a yardsale together for 200. The craftsman isnt the most reliable saw, and the farm boss is too heavy for what power it has...guess the 041 spoiled me. Anyways I plan on buying some real saws...I want to get 3, a lightweight 50cc with 16 inch bar, a good 70 cc range saw with a 20, and a good 90 cc saw to run a 25 or 28 inch bar on.

The models I have been are:

Lightweight- The Echo CS500p(a Shindaiwa style saw) it weights 10.6 pounds and a husqvarna 346xp which I believe weighs around 11.

For the 70cc, I been looking at either a stihl 460 magnum or a 372xp

And for the 90cc, the 395xp or stihl 660 magnum...considering it wont be used as much as my 70cc, the extra pound on the husky doesnt bother me.

I have all 3 dealers within 10-20 miles of me and all of them offer between 10-20 percent off the msrp internet prices so I dont really need to have all the same brand.

Durability then performance then fuel efficiency is my order of priority. I was reading Husky has the best performance, but that the screws strip out bad due to know steel inserts in the plastic.

The set I'm leaning towards is CS-500p,372xp,and 660.

(Please spare me the Stihl is good everything else sucks answers) I just want to know what you guys have to say about your experiences if you owned any of the models of saws I've listed...and if the husqvarna screw stripping problem is just stihl users bashin em.

I cut firewood off my father's property for a contractor I sell too and for my old man to burn in his own house. I work full time, but during the grass mowing season I cut a few lawns and when its too cold here (about 5) months of the year Im out in the woods. Anyways my old man's 041 was amazing back in the day, I remember him using it since I was able to help load his truck with firewood...so about 18 years ago. It's been retired for a couple years now...I got a craftsman I been using a craftsman and a 290 farm boss...bought them at a yardsale together for 200. The craftsman isnt the most reliable saw, and the farm boss is too heavy for what power it has...guess the 041 spoiled me. Anyways I plan on buying some real saws...I want to get 3, a lightweight 50cc with 16 inch bar, a good 70 cc range saw with a 20, and a good 90 cc saw to run a 25 or 28 inch bar on.

The models I have been are:

Lightweight- The Echo CS500p(a Shindaiwa style saw) it weights 10.6 pounds and a husqvarna 346xp which I believe weighs around 11.

For the 70cc, I been looking at either a stihl 460 magnum or a 372xp

And for the 90cc, the 395xp or stihl 660 magnum...considering it wont be used as much as my 70cc, the extra pound on the husky doesnt bother me.

I have all 3 dealers within 10-20 miles of me and all of them offer between 10-20 percent off the msrp internet prices so I dont really need to have all the same brand.

Durability then performance then fuel efficiency is my order of priority. I was reading Husky has the best performance, but that the screws strip out bad due to know steel inserts in the plastic.

The set I'm leaning towards is CS-500p,372xp,and 660.

(Please spare me the Stihl is good everything else sucks answers) I just want to know what you guys have to say about your experiences if you owned any of the models of saws I've listed...and if the husqvarna screw stripping problem is just stihl users bashin em.

Stihl lasts longer built better,Husky screamer and agile.

So what on the Stihl is built better then the Husky...and what about the Echo with Shindaiwa design?

:popcorn: this should be good.

Gonna sit back and watch the drama unfold
OP- good luck sorting thru the responses. This kinda thread inevitably starts a brand war.

I think the 3 choices you have picked so far are really great. In the 50cc range the echo is really good, and I see talk all the time about the 372 xp kicking but, and then the 90cc range a 660 magnum tons of power. If you like those 3 they are as good if not better than anything else out there. In the larger cc range any of the pro-saws are good as far as I am concerned.

I have a MS261........MS460.........MS660 and a Dolmar 5105 they are all great saws and have not dissapointed me in anyway.

The 261/16" bar,460/20" bar,660/28"and 36" bar is a line up that will last quite possibly a lifetime in the right hands and a very well respected line up.

I have no issues with the others you listed. This is what I have first hand experince with.

The 460 I bought used the others new.

You do have our permission to submit for the 6 cube club and fear no evil should you need to man up.

Randy will have to approve your entry though

Last edited:
So what are Jonsered and Redmax known for? Are they pro saws? or just heavy duty homeowner/landowner?

The one thing that is most important may be which dealer will serve you best.

If you need them heavily for repairs etc. Anyone can sell you a saw but there are quite a few dealers that are not to good at fixing them

I would go with the dealer that has the best looking counter girl with the largest breasts..............;)

Yeah they are elite dealers. Which Im hoping that means they got somebody their that has a good idea what they are doing.

One thought that has worked to save my backside is if the 70 and 90 are the same make, Stihl for me. I have had a saw go down and swapped parts off the other without leaving the woods. Plugs, bars sprockets bearings all fit both. 044 and 064 in my case. 260 for my little saw.

I would have preferences but will let you make your own decisions but would advise that you go with all one brand rather than getting one of each.

The other suggestion is that you get the smaller saw first since it would be the cheapest and then you could decide which direction to go from there.

Do you really need a large saw? ie, are you cutting stuff that a mid size pro saw wouldn't handle with a longer bar?

(I realize this is AS and no reason is required, just trying to discover what you really need to cut the firewood vs having one of each.)

You have picked 3 good saws. Jonsered saws are basically husky saws. Some of redmax saws are husky saws. I would look closely at your dealers also, unless you are planning on doing your own repair as needed. If you don't think you will use the 90 cc saws much, you might find a good used one in the classified section of the forum.

Last edited:
261 with 18" and 460 with 28" and 20" bars this combo is a winner in anybodys book:D

I've got a few trees that are over 40 inches in diameter, but like you said I was going to get the 50 and 70 cc saws first because I planned on cutting down the bigger ones last and maybe seeing if I can sell the logs off of some of them. Most of what I have to work with is under 30 inches...but using that 290 farm boss...which I didnt give alot for used, 3 years ago...was more effort then it should have been. I see a 90 cc as a practical saw...now the 120 ccs those I dont have any use for.

Latest posts

Back