HELP!! Finding my wife was easier than buying a chainsaw!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome, if you cannot afford the 361 then skip the 290 and get the 270 or 280. They are very nice for what you are doing. I have not run the Dolmar.

I hear nothing but good about the 5100, never run one though.

For what you are talking about doing, and a good first saw/only saw (yeah right:laugh: ) I highly recomend the Huky 350!! Awsome little saw for the money!! And I have yet to find a way to kill mine!!!

yours is the older non cat model....The cat models are great for melting the plastic cases!!! HAAHAHAHAHA

There is really no problem here JP. The flaw in your thinking is that you are looking for "the" right saw. The reality is that there are 20 right saws that would do exactly what you want. Everything that the members have suggested would be fine. Just go and look them over and pick the one that feels best to you.

There is really no problem here JP. The flaw in your thinking is that you are looking for "the" right saw. The reality is that there are 20 right saws that would do exactly what you want. Everything that the members have suggested would be fine. Just go and look them over and pick the one that feels best to you.

I would like to retract my original post, and replace it with this one. A little help Mods?:laugh:

Good post spike!

Thanks for all the feedback!! Local dealer stated he had 70-80 different saws in stock and to come by and look and see what I like. He does carry the 5100s along with Stihl, so it should be a good comparison.

P.S. - Been married for almost 13 years now and the wife is the one telling me to get a saw. Obviously, got a good one the first time round and she definitely is a keeper!!

Thanks again!!

Thanks for all the feedback!! Local dealer stated he had 70-80 different saws in stock and to come by and look and see what I like. He does carry the 5100s along with Stihl, so it should be a good comparison.

P.S. - Been married for almost 13 years now and the wife is the one telling me to get a saw. Obviously, got a good one the first time round and she definitely is a keeper!!

Thanks again!!

Tell her you will stay around longer if she buys you some protection(PPE) :givebeer:

346xp

Thanks again!!

hello

i have ran a 5100 dolmar. they are well built and a good saw. i have not ran a lot of stihls.

i have all sweedes and my favorite one is the 346xp...it is waspy.

i like the husqvarnas...with there air filtration system. will a saw last longer if you keep it cleaner and keep shXy out of the carb.

i think so.

i like the 346xp so much that i am buying a second one so i can send the first one off to be modded.

talcott

The best $400 saw out there...PERIOD! Quit listenening to the rest of these guys trying to spend your money for you. The 361 is favored by many, but is out of your price range. You will NOT be disappointed with the Dolmar

attachment.php

I also tend to agree, but haven't even run one yet.....

......looks like I will pretty soon, though....;) :rockn: :rockn:

It would be interesting to know how large the "big" trees referred to in post number one is..........

Last edited:
... P.S. - Been married for almost 13 years now and the wife is the one telling me to get a saw. Obviously, got a good one the first time round and she definitely is a keeper!!

Thanks again!!

;) Sound like a good one - what did she say about PPE??

...I guess she will want to keep you in one piece.........;)

Wow! 26 acres of trees is asing a lot for a $200-$400 chainsaw, in my opinion. I have about half of what you have and use two saws, an older Husky 55 Rancher and a newer Husky 359. They seem comparable to me. Two is nice because I don't have to stop and sharpen. I can just switch saws and sharpen later.

I also have the equipment for safe use (chaps, hard hat, hearing/eye protections, gloves, and boots). Seems like after every good storm I have something to cut up. This safety equipment is as important as the saw, maybe more. Also, I don't feel confident taking on leaners or anything that I can't drop cleanly. I have a friend who is the pro for the really tricky stuff who seems to enjoy my challenges. He works for dinner, beer and scotch whiskey.

I'm thinking if I were you I'd get something like an 357XP and maybe a smaller saw for limbing. I'm not radical about saw brands. There are many good ones. But a saw of this quality blows your budget all to pieces. However, the Dolmar sounds good if you can get it for $400. I have never used one so don't know how they work and hold up.

You might be able to have a neighbor help cut/clear in exchange for free firewood. A cord of good cut/split hardwood where I live costs $200+ so sell/barter a couple of cords and you will have put a big dent in the price of a nice chain saw.

You could also trade hunting rights for some help in keeping the place cleared out. I know lots of hunters that would gladly spend a couple of weekends for hunting rights to a good woodlot. I understand the KS whitetails get really big.

Does your wife have a good looking unmarried sister by any chance?

Last edited:
I also agree your saw budget may be a bit lean...

I would first recommend a saw in the 361 class. They are big enough to do most felling and bucking operations yet light enough to do some limbing and firewood chores. Buy in the "Pro" line with whomever you choose. Husky has the XP line like the 357xp or 362xp. I've been really impressed with Dolmar but the 5100 may be a bit light. My 026 would and will do anything I ask it but not nearly as efficient as my 361 in most wood.

Another option is to buy older used saws. We have used Homelite 360's for years and they are tough and heavy but have quite a bit of torque and have no problem spinning a full 24." You should be able to pick one up for about $100 in working condition. Plus you won't cry quite as loud when you smash it with a falling tree.

Ms390

i JUST bought two MS390'S one ffor me one for my dad... nomatter what people say on here they are an awsome saw I i really like mine a lot.

Picking Woman and Saws???????????

1. Stay away from the one's that you find at walmart.

2. If its well used and you've just got to have it, have it checked out first.

3. If you open it up and it smells funny,,, DON'T DO IT.

4. Don't rely on your friends to pick for you.

5. Try not to "settle" for the lower model.

6. Some times if your lucky you can pick one up that was just too much for the last guy to handle.

7. Take her out and give her try before you bring it home.

Last edited:
If you're budget limited, look for a real nice "ex-homowner" 036-pro or MS360 (both 1998 or later). Around here they go for $300 +/- on craigslist... Real close in practical terms to a 361, and 1/2 the price.

Latest posts

Back